130mm Truss Tube Refractor

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
Jones
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: 130mm Truss Tube Refractor

Post by Jones »

The limit of the M2 head and column looks to be the 120mm light weights, the f8.3 achromat and the f7.5 SWed, they both weigh around 12 lbs.
Arizona- where the sky's are not cloudy all night.

Triple lensed fracs are so yummy when looking at planets.
Jones
Mars Ambassador

Post by Jones »

The limit of the M2 blockhead mount and column appears to be with the 120mm light weights f8.3 achromat 1000mm f.l. and f7.5 SWed 900mm f.l. They both weigh around 12 lbs. And handle real well on it.

Jones
Mars Ambassador

Post by Jones »

20210518_093657.jpg
Here is the final version of the TS Optics china made 130mm-53 triple f/7. The blue tube uses the thinnest .050" 6" aluminum pipe from Hastings Irrigation. Both types weigh exactly the same at 18 pounds. Did all the Mars observing with the truss tube. Built the blue tube in 2021.

The goal was to have the 130 work on the Stellarvue M2 mount. No could do. The Orion Skyview AZ mount was the answer. This mount has it's own problems. You have to open it up and preload tension by tightening the central nut in both axis to get it to work properly.

Optical performance is stunning. Last fall on Mars could see much finer detail than my 10" 1/10 wave dob . Almost eveything the people at ALPO Japan Latest could photograph was visible. My 10" dob with a Zambuto mirror inside was better however.

It was super hot in Arizona last summer so the mirrored scopes did not work so well before midnite cause of the ground heat so close to the mirror. The 130 lens is so far off the ground at 5.5 feet I was getting great views of Mars all the way through November. Also found the Tak TOE's are the best planet lenses.

This was a great project and with Mars coming around took my mind off the covid madness. Still want to find the maximum refractor that works on the M2 mount. Think a short 120mm will be next.