Would You Spend $100 On This Telescope?

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Would You Spend $100 On This Telescope?

Post by Refractordude »

I could not find used prices for this telescope with GoTo on the world wide web. Before buying I will test the GoTo out in the evening. I feel if the GoTo works it is worth the 100 bucks. How would you do a quick test of the GoTo? Click the image.
Attachments
image for sale.PNG
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Would You Spend $100 On This Telescope?

Post by John Donne »

Wow.
If the goto works I would give $100 for sure.
That mount looks similar to the SLT mount. I would put it throught a quick alignment routine under your dark sky. I think it should only take a few minutes if it is like the SLT mount.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Make sure the electronics work, direction buttons and screen lights up.
If the electronics seem to be alright then the goto should be fine.
You may have to adjust the backlash settings once home though.

Check in the menu for hand control version as some of these could not be updated.
www.nexstarsite.com has all the various SLT/ GT versions listed.

Listen to the gears as well. These can be moved by hand in altitude only, tryng to move in azimuth can break the nylon gears.

If it is dark enough try to align it but if everything else is alright it should be good.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I would not hesitate to recommend SLT or Nexstar, but I don't have any experience with GT version of Celestron GoTos.

If you want to try GoTo out, that's not a bad option. If the stability and accuracy of GoTo suffers with included scope, you can always swap for your ST80.

To test GoTo turn it on and use manual arrows to confirm that you can move the mount on both axes. Then try to find a target in handset database (i.e. M101). If the scope and handset respond to your input you should be fine.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

If the goto is fried, you might be able to get $100 resale (*ahem*) if you part the thing out - OTA, tripod, hand controller.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

I paid $50 for essentially the same technology. I'm pretty sure the only difference between the Celestron and Meade entry level GoTo mounts is cosmetic. They very likely come from the same factory.

Discussion thread here viewtopic.php?f=12&p=157424#p157424

Definitely test it and if possible see if it actually stays on target for any length of time. Watch for slippage when the motor is trying to slew to the target but OTA is not actually moving. That might indicate excessive wear or other damage to the drive train.

Because the tripod is specific to this style of GoTo mount, it doesn't have a lot of value to other users. The prices on EBay for these is all over the place.

I got all my scopes used but I'm a patient shopper and not afraid to drill holes in things when needed.

Good luck! Have fun.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Refractordude wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:19 pm I could not find used prices for this telescope with GoTo on the world wide web. Before buying I will test the GoTo out in the evening. I feel if the GoTo works it is worth the 100 bucks. How would you do a quick test of the GoTo? Click the image.
I have that same scope. If it works, yes, well worth $100. The easiest way to test would probably be to take it out and do a lunar align, and see if it tracks. Bear in mind, these mounts are well known for failing star alignments if you're using the AA battery pack. If you elect to buy, your first purchase should be a rechargeable solution with decent capacity and it will prove more reliable. I use something like this: THIS
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Yes as mentioned make sure it powers up , chances are there are a few bolts loose, and the firmware is out dated , but they are good mounts (for the price) I have purchased many and none could not be fixed , quite robust unlike the meade that break the motor mounts , but if people move them by hand then they break in the AZ axis mostly as the alt has a clutch which allows for a bit of slip but if tighten hard then perhaps there too
100 is cheap and worth it
I tried breaking a SLT mount (same gears as the GT) In the AZ mount by moving it manually , it needs a lot of power and then the gear slipped a tooth with no damage , I stopped testing then but obviously if someone carries on then damage will occur
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
dagadget United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by dagadget »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:15 pm I would not hesitate to recommend SLT or Nexstar, but I don't have any experience with GT version of Celestron GoTos.

If you want to try GoTo out, that's not a bad option. If the stability and accuracy of GoTo suffers with included scope, you can always swap for your ST80.

To test GoTo turn it on and use manual arrows to confirm that you can move the mount on both axes. Then try to find a target in handset database (i.e. M101). If the scope and handset respond to your input you should be fine.
I have a GT that looks a lot like this. If it works well and the scope is well balanced in the holder then that will be a nice 100 to spend. Going to be interesting to see how that turns out.
Astro-Tech AT 152EDT Ioptron GEM 45 Mount AKA FracZilla
Celestron C11 Carbon Fiber CGEM II Mount AKA Cloudzilla
Sky Watcher Mak Cas 180 Ioptron IEQ 30 AKA MoonZilla
AT 92 on IEQ 30 Pro AKA ClusterZilla
Home Made 8 inch Newtonian Reflector on Rocker Box AKA Scopezilla
Celestron 4 1/2 114 mm Newtonian Telescope 910 F/L GT Mount AKA Frankenscope.

David
Mars Ambassador

Post by dagadget »

Don Alvarez wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:17 pm
Refractordude wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:19 pm I could not find used prices for this telescope with GoTo on the world wide web. Before buying I will test the GoTo out in the evening. I feel if the GoTo works it is worth the 100 bucks. How would you do a quick test of the GoTo? Click the image.
I have that same scope. If it works, yes, well worth $100. The easiest way to test would probably be to take it out and do a lunar align, and see if it tracks. Bear in mind, these mounts are well known for failing star alignments if you're using the AA battery pack. If you elect to buy, your first purchase should be a rechargeable solution with decent capacity and it will prove more reliable. I use something like this: THIS
Those Talent cells are great and that is exactly what I have on my GT as it did not ever have a Battery pack or even a place to put one.

David
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

dagadget wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:31 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:15 pm I would not hesitate to recommend SLT or Nexstar, but I don't have any experience with GT version of Celestron GoTos.

I have a GT that looks a lot like this. If it works well and the scope is well balanced in the holder then that will be a nice 100 to spend. Going to be interesting to see how that turns out.
Not turning out good. I have sent the seller two messages, but no reply. Looks like it is sold, but still being advertised on Craigslist.
Mars Ambassador

Post by dagadget »

Refractordude wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:59 pm
dagadget wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:31 pm

Not turning out good. I have sent the seller two messages, but no reply. Looks like it is sold, but still being advertised on Craigslist.
Keep trying he might work a evening or night shift and not seen your messages.

David
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Well I am sure there will be others , at one stage people were selling these STL mount in RSA for nothing , the one I tested I purchased for R600 or 100us it was wobbling and the drive was all loose , but was just 2 loose bolts , this was a 130 newt that was probably not used for many years the mirrors were so dusty that there was 0 reflection ! , but it all cleaned up and worked perfect
I also once got the 114 yes the dreaded BJ scope for R300 or 50 US , the owner told me that its all fine and he saw the rings of Uranus with it! when I went to see it the spider was all bent and the secondary bracket was broken but not damaged , I fixed it but never saw what claimed , but what I am getting at is that these mounts seem to be almost bullet proof.
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5