Discuss reflector telescopes
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Cleaning the Primary on a Z10

Post by helicon »

Well, after four years I finally did it. I dropped the mirror cell out of the bottom of my Z10 and confronted a dusty mirror. Even though I cover both ends of the OTA I found the amount of dust frightening, plus noticed that there were about 5 pine needles around the base of the cell (from the Monterey pine near to my observing deck)!

Nevertheless, the procedure was very straightforward and could be followed by anyone with a Z8 to a Z12.

1) First, take some blue painters tape and mark a spot on the OTA where you will be removing the first screw holding the cell.

2) Mark the cell with the blue painters tape at the corresponding spot.

3) Gently remove the 6 Phillips head screws which hold the cell in the OTA.

4) Make sure before you remove the screws that the OTA is lying on a table or other flat surface.

5) Slide the cell out of the OTA - should come out very easily.

6) Clean the edges of the cell (below the mirror) with some Q-tips or a soft camel hair brush to remove any lodged dust or debris.

7) Place the cell in the sink and flood the surface of the mirror with distilled water.

8) Drop a tiny amount of dishwashing liquid onto the mirror, flood with a little bit more of the water so the suds spread out.

9) Using soft tissue such as kleenex gently rub the mirror in one direction in horizontal lines.

10) After this the mirror should be clean. Check and make sure any tough to remove deposits such as tree sap are gone, if not gently remove.

11) Flood the mirror once again with distilled water to remove any remaining soap.

12) Let dry, when dry, gently brush with a camel hair brush to remove any remaining dust.

13) Let the cell sit out to dry.

14) When fully dried out, carefully remount the cell into the bottom of the OTA, lining up the screw holes. If you used the tape, this is very easy.

15) Carefully re-insert the Phillips head screws and screw them in one by one with a screwdriver

16) Enjoy what it is like to have a new mirror once again!

So that's it - helicon's method of cleaning a Zhumell mirror to a brilliant and pristine state!

And the result?
z10mirror.jpg
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Cleaning the Primary on a Z10

Post by UlteriorModem »

Good job, yea it's not all that hard when you get right down to it. Hardest part is the re-collimation that follows.

But.... Pine needles! My Arch nemesis! Wait till one falls into the objective of a refractor! :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Yeah I was shocked to see pine needles in there - fell in on a breezy evening I presume while I was out under the stars.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

You never know what might find its way in there! My process varies just slightly from yours Michael. I flood my mirror under the faucet with a steady stream for about a minute to dislodge any dust and particles. Then I reduce the flow of water to a steady trickle and add my plain Dawn (blue). I then swirl my finger tips over the surface with only the lightest of touches. Using your fingers as long as you don't press and as along as water/detergent is present does not damage. Personally I prefer the tactile feel of my finger tips over cotton or other materials as I can detect a stubborn particle easier. Once I have done this for a little bit, then I increase the flow of tap water to flood off any remaining detergent. Then turn the tap water off and flood the surface with a gallon of distilled water. I then lean the mirror up at a steep angle on the counter to allow drops to run off. Any remaining ones I will use the corner of a paper towel to pull up, but not rub the towel over the surface.

There are variations to the process which can all work well. The key here is to not be afraid of cleaning a mirror. As long as one approaches the task prepared and know their steps, it can be done with no fear. Coatings are tougher than most people realize, but of course you don't want to overdo it! :)

I basically follow the procedure used in this video from Optic Wave Labs. I have done this with all my mirrors, 10, 12 and 17.5 inch.

Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Nice going, Michael!

Man, I've got to do my AD12 again. It has been a few years since I've cleaned it. On Sunday when I set up for the SN viewing, I did a no-no and shined my headlamp down in there. Holy cow!

I need to do the secondary as well. It has never been cleaned and it looks like somebody sneezed on it. :lol:

Likely this weekend...
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Nice job, Michael.
It is about time for me to do a cleaning on the Z12 too. I noticed the other week that the shower cap I keep over the primary end has a couple of holes in it so time to replace that as well.
I use a similar technique, but like Alan I prefer to use my fingers (after thoroughly washing my hand of course).
Tom’s right, the biggest pain is re-collimating everything! :lol:
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

prowler75 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:45 am Nice job, Michael.
It is about time for me to do a cleaning on the Z12 too. I noticed the other week that the shower cap I keep over the primary end has a couple of holes in it so time to replace that as well.
I use a similar technique, but like Alan I prefer to use my fingers (after thoroughly washing my hand of course).
Tom’s right, the biggest pain is re-collimating everything! :lol:
Thanks for reminding me Craig - yes washing the hands thoroughly before. Don't be picking your nose or eating fried chicken (especially after picking your nose) then go straight to the mirror cleaning! :lol:

I find that the shower caps on both ends of mine over time develop holes and that the elastic finally gives up the ghost as well. So they are replaced after a a period of time.

Actually I find doing the secondary more of a PITA than the primary, since Bryan mentioned that. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

bladekeeper wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:25 am I did a no-no and shined my headlamp down in there. Holy cow!
Tsk Tsk… you of all people!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

So did it improve the scope, I did the same with my 8 inch but did not notice any improvement
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Last night was cloudy so no "first light" with the freshly cleaned mirror. It was really dusty, as well. So I'm pretty sure there will be a 20-30% difference in light transmission. I was going to try for a few objects such as NGC 3077, the galaxy located close to M81.
-Michael

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:04 pm Last night was cloudy so no "first light" with the freshly cleaned mirror. It was really dusty, as well. So I'm pretty sure there will be a 20-30% difference in light transmission. I was going to try for a few objects such as NGC 3077, the galaxy located close to M81.
That is the thing, the true results depend on the condition of the mirror before cleaning. As optics slowly become degraded due to accumulation of dust and other particulates, we adjust to it and may not truly perceive the degradation as such. While the results may often be subtle, the subtleties can frequently make or break an observation if going after threshold objects.

Good luck with NGC 3077 et al Michael. It is a nice galaxy forming a pretty triangular grouping with M81/82. :)
Alan

Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I can usually see NGC 3077 as a puff of light. However, over the past few sessions in UM dating back about a year and a half or so it has been invisible. Hoping that it will be visible again.
-Michael
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

helicon wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:04 pm Last night was cloudy so no "first light" with the freshly cleaned mirror.
Of course what did you expect!

I cleaned the glass on my camera and the forecast went from clear Friday and Saturday to mostly cloudy... just like that!
Tom

Current Equipment: