Skywatcher 12” truss Dob

Discuss reflector telescopes
GriffinBF
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Skywatcher 12” truss Dob

Post by GriffinBF »

It’s time for another dob.

Does anyone with a Skywatcher truss have advice as to what upgrades are necessary/suggested for the discerning owner? Primary spring replacement, counterweights, etc.? Are the bearings decent, smooth movement? That scope ships with a magnified finder, but I’ll likely stick on an RDF.

I’m fairly limited in availability without shipping from across the border. I like to hunt, so goto or setting circles aren’t a priority. I don’t need the truss either, really. A solid tube would be fine, but again.. availability.

Orion is also an option, something like an xt12i would be great also, I don’t care about the ‘i’ part.. but whichever scope has better mechanics is the priority.

Thanks!
Martin

The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Skywatcher 12” truss Dob

Post by The Happy Parrot »

I like your question Martin though I am eminently unqualified to answer it as I only have an 8-inch Zhummel.

However, to get the conversation going and looking at the SkyWatcher website, there is much to like with the 300mm/12-inch truss version in terms of compact size for storage and transport, and the fact they come with dust covers. I keep mine on a flyer cart in the garage with a cover and I simply roll it out to the backyard in less than 30 seconds. The cart has two key benefits: added height for comfortable viewing and quick repositioning to view the objects between the trees on my neighbor's homes.

Anything that adds mobility, viewing comfort and easy clean storage would top my improvement list.
THP

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Telescopes: Refractor: Celestron DX 102AZ SSE f6.5; Newtonians: Z8 f5.9; Jason Comet 480t (ret.)
Eye Pieces: Meade 5.5 mm, ES 8.8 mm/82, Agena SG 12 mm, ES16 mm/68 & 24mm/68, Z30mm WF, Celestron 32 mm Pl.
Binoculars: Olympus DPS I 10x50
Backyard Light Pollution: Orange Bortle 4-5
Ozman
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Ozman »

I've never used a truss Dob, I understand they need more frequent collimation (not a big deal), but I REALLY like my AD12. The motion is SMOOTH and the accessories are top notch.
AD12, 8" LX200ACF, 120 Skywatcher, ES 102CF APO, AR102, ST100, 90mm Mak, ST80, 60ETX
Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED, 25x100s, 15x70s, 8x56s, Kasai 2.3x40s, Celestron AVX, CG4, SLT, LCM
Benjamin Australia
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Benjamin »

I have the 12” Skywatcher collapsible Dob if that’s the same thing? If so the collapsible part of it is great. Barely needs collimating on each setup, although the odd tweak helps. It is weighty but manageable and I can get it all in a smallish car. My base doesn’t collapse down, so that’s perhaps one thing I’d change if I could. Have used a magnetized tool bar as a counter weight on the mirror end to which can be added more weight if necessary. I use a shroud to keep dust out and have a few heater for the secondary. The mirror cell on mine was not the greatest - The bolts holding the mirror clips in place had bent making removal of the mirror difficult. I found a replacement and replaced the springs. It’s still a mid range quality scope in my mind but there is a lot of fun in tweaking it and finding solutions :-)
Scopes:Skywatcher f5 12" Dob, f4 8” Quattro, Esprit 100
Mounts:Skywatcher EQ6-R (EQMod)
Cameras:ZWO ASI2600MM-Pro, Astronomik 2” filters
Apps:PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Eyepieces:Explore Scientific, Pentax XW, TeleVue Panoptic, Delos, Ethos
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Benjamin wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:36 pm My base doesn’t collapse down, so that’s perhaps one thing I’d change if I could.
Benjamin, your comment you reminded of my stock Zhummel dob base, which is made of heavy pressed wood. Besides being too low, it is surprisingly heavy. Like Ikea furniture without the Ikea look. Someday I'd like to make a new natural wood base for easier transfer and improved looks.

Certainly a nice to have, not a need to have.
THP

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Telescopes: Refractor: Celestron DX 102AZ SSE f6.5; Newtonians: Z8 f5.9; Jason Comet 480t (ret.)
Eye Pieces: Meade 5.5 mm, ES 8.8 mm/82, Agena SG 12 mm, ES16 mm/68 & 24mm/68, Z30mm WF, Celestron 32 mm Pl.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I'm thinking of replacing the base of my Z10 with plywood rather than the pressed particle board, would be slightly more durable, I'm thinking of matching the black paint but then varnishing it to keep out moisture. It has a couple of nicks in it presently as a result of it being 6 1/2 years old, but the optics are still going strong.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Particle board or chip board can be sealed and then just as durable as Plywood (shutterboard here in RSA) using solid hard wood is the best for durability but its not man made so tends to warp just a bit which for a Dobs base is no good ,Plywood also warps a bit as the layers age , I still believe that for the base particle board is the best . or perhaps some plastic?
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Good point on wood quality Richard. It would have to be from well dried/cured wood planks. Particle board is susceptible to expansion if it gets wet which hopefully would happen to a telescope. Maybe pressurized wood used on fence posts? In any case, it's more of a vanity than a proper improvement for me.
THP

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Rainmaker
Moon Ambassador

Post by Rainmaker »

Good quality (AA grade) hardwood marine plywood is really the only material to use to make a new base. Once built and sealed with a quality marine varnish it will outlast the user....
Matt in Oz
Rainmaker “Excalibur” 18” F3.5 +SIPS @ 1860mm
TMB-LZOS 152mm F7.9 @ 1200mm
Takahashi FOA 60mm F8.8
Takahashi FC76DC F7.5
Skylight AR101.15
Benjamin Australia
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Benjamin »

Rainmaker wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:29 pm Good quality (AA grade) hardwood marine plywood is really the only material to use to make a new base. Once built and sealed with a quality marine varnish it will outlast the user....
Ah, if only I had some woodworking skills and a signature as vivid as yours Matt!
Scopes:Skywatcher f5 12" Dob, f4 8” Quattro, Esprit 100
Mounts:Skywatcher EQ6-R (EQMod)
Cameras:ZWO ASI2600MM-Pro, Astronomik 2” filters
Apps:PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Eyepieces:Explore Scientific, Pentax XW, TeleVue Panoptic, Delos, Ethos
GriffinBF
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by GriffinBF »

Brilliant, thank you all!
I visited the site ‘Bob’s Knobs’.. a go to site when I had a Meade Lightbridge.
It seems that the skywatchers are relatively low maintenance. Based on what you guys say and what I have read. Thanks.
Martin

davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

I have the same and the only thing that is absolutely necessary on these is the shroud to keep out unwanton light and dust. I had issues before in my previous site with humidity dewing up the secondary but doesn't seem to be so much of an issue now. I upgraded my focuser to a Moonlite but that's a bit of a luxury :)

Oh yeah, for collimation if you upgrade the secondary to Bobs Knobs it's well worth doing at the same time the "milk bottle top" modification to create a washer as without it collimation of the secondary is a real pain...
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Jennifer Christine
Moon Ambassador

Post by Jennifer Christine »

My club has 3 sw12 truss scopes which we hire out to members.
Hardy and reliable. Though the bases are cumbersome and heavy. Trolley wheels with brakes might improve matters if they're not being moved far. Or maybe plant pot trolleys?
Scopes, 100x900, 102x500, 150x 1000, 200x2000, 200x 1260. 80x400.
Canon lenses 100 to 400 L series, 18 to 135 usm.
Mount's, 2x alt az, 2 x eq (adventurer an neq6pro.)
70dw cam. Ssag guider. Observatory and pier setup.
Binoculars Saxon 20x80.
FRIED wallet.