Henry has done it again !

Discuss reflector telescopes
Don Quixote
Articles: 0

Henry has done it again !

Post by Don Quixote »

This morning My friend Henry and his lovely wife stopped by my home on their way to a luncheon date. Mrs. Henkmeister has known my mother for years and wanted to make a visit.
At 11:30 they arrived and the two ladies settled into a chatty visit while Henry and I huddled to our own chat. 😊
Henry had with him a largish box.
Inside this largish box was a 6 inch f/5 newtonian, Bresser 150S.
Now I have another toy to explore and compare with my other toys. I plan on a side by side on the SW AZ/EQ mount with my AR 152 frac. This should be an interesting conserving session.
I will report back to you all.
Resized_20191023_132314.jpeg
P.S.
As per my usual anatomical interest in all things mechanical I have completely dissected this new tool and overhauled the 10/1 crayford focuser. It is as smooth as silk!
Unfortunately the sky is overecast tonight or I would be out there now. 😊
Don Quixote

Re: Henry has done it again !

Post by Don Quixote »

After a quick overhaul of the crayford focused I slipped out into the drive to find an open hole in the sky. 😊
I found one !

Seeing and transparency were very poor, but I was able to get first light.

I expected some coma at the edge if the field. There was no coma that I could discern.

I used my docter 12.5 with is wide fov. Stars were pinpoints across the field, edge to edge.
I did not expect this. I am very pleased.

This is a very light weight and "short" six inches. It is light enough I may be able to mount it on my binocular tripod. Will see about that.
I had it on the LXD mount and I can see that the SW in alt/az mode may be a better fit.

I also plan a velvet flocking for this tube.
After overhauling the focuser recollimating was quik.
Very pleased.

Can't wait to point this at some galaxies. 😊
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the new toy Mark and kudos to Henry! Is that an aperture stop on the front end?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the new toy Mark and kudos to Henry! Is that an aperture stop on the front end?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:14 pm Congrats on the new toy Mark and kudos to Henry! Is that an aperture stop on the front end?
No Andrey.
You are looking at the primary mirror housing. It is shielded and ventilated.😊

This scope weighs less than a "Happy Meal".😊

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Don Quixote wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:24 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:14 pm Congrats on the new toy Mark and kudos to Henry! Is that an aperture stop on the front end?
No Andrey.

:facepalm: :oops: I like to recall that question. :lol:

Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Marcus, better in the hands of a visual expert than in the dustbin of my storage garage. I hope it ends up performing beyond your wildest imagination. With little to no coma in an f/5 Newtonian that's a real achievement on the part of the opticians. Must be righteously parabolized for both visual and AP. I know the few frames I shot through that tube last year before putting it in storage showed very little coma out to the edges or any other optical "defects."
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:50 pm
No Andrey.

Heck Andrey.
Nothin wrong with the question at all.
Gave me an opportunity to describe a detail I had everlooked. 😊
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Hankmeister3 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:21 pm Marcus, better in the hands of a visual expert than in the dustbin of my storage garage. I hope it ends up performing beyond your wildest imagination. With little to no coma in an f/5 Newtonian that's a real achievement on the part of the opticians. Must be righteously parabolized for both visual and AP. I know the few frames I shot through that tube last year before putting it in storage showed very little coma out to the edges or any other optical "defects."
I am looking forward to getting this out to Penfield the next time we go.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Ok.
Question.
Is it possible that the 3 inches of extension I have to put on the focuser could have something to do with this apparent lack of coma in visual observing with this Newtonian?

Anyone?

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Don Quixote wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:23 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:50 pm

No Andrey.

Heck Andrey.
Nothin wrong with the question at all.
Gave me an opportunity to describe a detail I had everlooked. 😊
Yes, but "front end"? By now I should be able to identify the ends on a Newt. :lol:

Oh, and is that a finder on the back end?

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Hi Mark,

Beautiful acquisition! I currently own two 150/750mm Newts - the StarBlast 6 on a table top Dob mount and the Celestron Omni XLT 150 on a CG-4 mount. Sadly, I've not tested them out on the night skies yet - looking forward to hearing further reports with your new 6" F/5.

Fortunately, I picked up the longer version of the Bresser 150S OTA, the 150L (focal length of 1200mm or F/8), last year. This size of OTA is no longer readily available here as a standalone OTA, much less mounted on an EQ - only on a Dobsonian. Like the two aforementioned scopes, I've not unleased this scope on the heavens yet.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Thank you, Terry.
I am headed out right now. First light at my best dark site.
I have it on my LXD75 mount.
I know that I will have to figure out the balance aspect on this EQ mount.

I will post my report in the morning.😊
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Good hunting buddy! :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D