130 f5 newts

Discuss reflector telescopes
Post Reply
User avatar
Ylem
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 2:54 am
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Has thanked: 756 times
Been thanked: 1001 times

130 f5 newts

#1

Post by Ylem » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:43 pm

I sold mine and really miss it, poor man's APO :)

Does anyone produce an OTA only with a decent metal focuser for sale in the States?
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

A bunch of SCTs and MCTs scattered around the house and an Orion ST80.
A big box of Plossls :D
User avatar
Ylem
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 2:54 am
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Has thanked: 756 times
Been thanked: 1001 times

#2

Post by Ylem » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Well, maybe I should just ask about OTA only, I guess there may not be one with a metal focuser.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

A bunch of SCTs and MCTs scattered around the house and an Orion ST80.
A big box of Plossls :D
User avatar
Lady Fraktor
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0
Posts: 2652
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:14 pm
Location: Slovakia
Has thanked: 5255 times
Been thanked: 3837 times

#3

Post by Lady Fraktor » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:46 pm

🇸🇰
Proper Telescopes: Antares 105 f/15, Celestron 150 f/8, Stellarvue NHNGDX 80 f/6.9, TAL 100RS f/10, TS 102 f/11, UR 70 f/10, Vixen ED115s f/7.7
Mounts: Celestron AS-GT, Celestron CG-5 w/ Argo Navis & tracking motor, SLT w/ pier & tripod mods, Manfrotto 028b w/ SV M2C, Mantrotto 055Pro w/ 128RC, TAL MT1C, Vixen SXP w/ HAL-130 & half pier
Diagonal: 2" A-P Maxbright, 2" Baader Herschel Wedge (P), 2" Zeiss/ Baader Amici Prism (DX2), 2" Orion Amici Prism, 2" Stellarvue DX, 2" TeleVue EverBrite
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
User avatar
Ylem
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 2:54 am
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Has thanked: 756 times
Been thanked: 1001 times

#4

Post by Ylem » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Yeah, I'm tempted but they require a bigger mount.
I could put it on my CG4 but GEMs and Newts are not a match made in Heaven.

I have a Vixen porta and their 130 would be perfect but I dispise that focuser with that extension thingy ;)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

A bunch of SCTs and MCTs scattered around the house and an Orion ST80.
A big box of Plossls :D
User avatar
notFritzArgelander
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 4891
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 4:13 pm
Location: Idaho US
Has thanked: 7163 times
Been thanked: 11966 times

TSS Awards Badges

#5

Post by notFritzArgelander » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:26 pm

Ylem wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:10 pm
Yeah, I'm tempted but they require a bigger mount.
I could put it on my CG4 but GEMs and Newts are not a match made in Heaven.

I have a Vixen porta and their 130 would be perfect but I dispise that focuser with that extension thingy ;)
Why not factor in a focuser upgrade? Ed Ting likes the optics, not the focuser.

https://www.scopereviews.com/page1ai.html#2
Scopes: Refractors: Orion ST80, SV ED80 A f7; Newtonians: Z12 f5; Catadioptrics: VMC110L, Intes MK66. EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
User avatar
Ylem
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 2:54 am
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Has thanked: 756 times
Been thanked: 1001 times

#6

Post by Ylem » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:33 pm

notFritzArgelander wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:26 pm
Ylem wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:10 pm
Yeah, I'm tempted but they require a bigger mount.
I could put it on my CG4 but GEMs and Newts are not a match made in Heaven.

I have a Vixen porta and their 130 would be perfect but I dispise that focuser with that extension thingy ;)
Why not factor in a focuser upgrade? Ed Ting likes the optics, not the focuser.

https://www.scopereviews.com/page1ai.html#2
That is a very possible route, I almost did that a few years ago.
It certainly would match the Porta, eh?
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

A bunch of SCTs and MCTs scattered around the house and an Orion ST80.
A big box of Plossls :D
User avatar
JayTee
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0
Posts: 1981
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:23 am
Location: Honolulu, HI
Has thanked: 1306 times
Been thanked: 2280 times
Contact:

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

#7

Post by JayTee » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:54 pm

Main: C-stron CPC1100 #2 Scope: 8" f/7.5 Dob mounted Newt AP Scopes: TPO 6" f/9 RC, ES 80mm f/6 APO G&G Scope: Meade 102mm f/7.8, Bresser 102mm f/4.5 Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs Mounts: C-stron AVX CGEM & GT Alt-Az, Meade DS2000 Cameras: Canon T3i (x2), ASI120MC Binos: 10X50,10.5X70,15X70 (x2), 25X100 EPs: ES: 21 100°, 30 82° X-Cels: 9, 12, 18, 25 Clubs: RCA & HAS
HOME Image

My Wx https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/de ... 837a4f803c
I never met a scope I didn't want to keep. "My God, it's full of stars."
Searching the skies since 1966!
User avatar
notFritzArgelander
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 4891
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 4:13 pm
Location: Idaho US
Has thanked: 7163 times
Been thanked: 11966 times

TSS Awards Badges

#8

Post by notFritzArgelander » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:23 pm

Ylem wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:33 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:26 pm
Ylem wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:10 pm
Yeah, I'm tempted but they require a bigger mount.
I could put it on my CG4 but GEMs and Newts are not a match made in Heaven.

I have a Vixen porta and their 130 would be perfect but I dispise that focuser with that extension thingy ;)
Why not factor in a focuser upgrade? Ed Ting likes the optics, not the focuser.

https://www.scopereviews.com/page1ai.html#2
That is a very possible route, I almost did that a few years ago.
It certainly would match the Porta, eh?
Yes, it would work well.
Scopes: Refractors: Orion ST80, SV ED80 A f7; Newtonians: Z12 f5; Catadioptrics: VMC110L, Intes MK66. EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
User avatar
notFritzArgelander
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 4891
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 4:13 pm
Location: Idaho US
Has thanked: 7163 times
Been thanked: 11966 times

TSS Awards Badges

#9

Post by notFritzArgelander » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:29 pm

JayTee wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:54 pm
How about this one?
https://www.vixenoptics.com/Vixen-R130S ... p/2604.htm

Cheers,
JT
Yes, that's the scope we're discussing except ylem finds the plastic focuser objectionable.....
Scopes: Refractors: Orion ST80, SV ED80 A f7; Newtonians: Z12 f5; Catadioptrics: VMC110L, Intes MK66. EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
User avatar
JayTee
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0
Posts: 1981
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:23 am
Location: Honolulu, HI
Has thanked: 1306 times
Been thanked: 2280 times
Contact:

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

#10

Post by JayTee » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:31 pm

Yes, that's the scope we're discussing except ylem finds the plastic focuser objectionable.....
Easy enough to replace if you want to spend the cash.

JT
Main: C-stron CPC1100 #2 Scope: 8" f/7.5 Dob mounted Newt AP Scopes: TPO 6" f/9 RC, ES 80mm f/6 APO G&G Scope: Meade 102mm f/7.8, Bresser 102mm f/4.5 Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs Mounts: C-stron AVX CGEM & GT Alt-Az, Meade DS2000 Cameras: Canon T3i (x2), ASI120MC Binos: 10X50,10.5X70,15X70 (x2), 25X100 EPs: ES: 21 100°, 30 82° X-Cels: 9, 12, 18, 25 Clubs: RCA & HAS
HOME Image

My Wx https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/de ... 837a4f803c
I never met a scope I didn't want to keep. "My God, it's full of stars."
Searching the skies since 1966!
User avatar
Ylem
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 2:54 am
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Has thanked: 756 times
Been thanked: 1001 times

#11

Post by Ylem » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:36 pm

I guess I could deal with that focuser but the extender has got to add more wobble to it.

The Orion version of that scope does not need the extender to reach focus, that's the scope that I unfortunately sold.
The problem is I need an EQ2 like I need a hole in my head. LOL
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

A bunch of SCTs and MCTs scattered around the house and an Orion ST80.
A big box of Plossls :D
User avatar
notFritzArgelander
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 4891
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 4:13 pm
Location: Idaho US
Has thanked: 7163 times
Been thanked: 11966 times

TSS Awards Badges

#12

Post by notFritzArgelander » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:42 pm

I have an extender permanently in the Z12, no worries with wobble. I use an AstroTech extension in the 2" GSO focuser. No wobbles. If I were doing this (and I might, it's gifting season coming up) I'd go with this focuser and an extension tube.

https://agenaastro.com/gso-1-25-reflect ... speed.html
Scopes: Refractors: Orion ST80, SV ED80 A f7; Newtonians: Z12 f5; Catadioptrics: VMC110L, Intes MK66. EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
User avatar
Ylem
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 2:54 am
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Has thanked: 756 times
Been thanked: 1001 times

#13

Post by Ylem » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:49 am

notFritzArgelander wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:42 pm
I have an extender permanently in the Z12, no worries with wobble. I use an AstroTech extension in the 2" GSO focuser. No wobbles. If I were doing this (and I might, it's gifting season coming up) I'd go with this focuser and an extension tube.

https://agenaastro.com/gso-1-25-reflect ... speed.html
I like that focuser 🙂
I don't need a 2"er
With a metal focuser an extender will be fine.

Thanks!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

A bunch of SCTs and MCTs scattered around the house and an Orion ST80.
A big box of Plossls :D
Post Reply

Return to “Reflector Telescopes”