Tasco 11RT

Discuss reflector telescopes
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Tasco 11RT

Post by LDW47 »

Has any one owned or used a Tasco Model 11RT scope from the mid 80's ? I have a chance to buy one like new, incl an eq mount, for about $100 C but before I decide I thought I had better ask.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Tasco 11RT

Post by Bigzmey »

I think it is a good price for like new 11TR. The scope has a good following and some are still used for observing. Just be aware that it comes with 0.965" focuser and included Huygens EPs are not good.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi LDW47,

For that price, why not? As Bigzmey said, a decent scope, but you'll want a better focuser for sure.

I have an old Tasco built to the same specs, and even with the spherical mirror, it puts up a really sharp image, especially at f/7.8. Easy to collimate as well.

I bought my Tasco for the same price, $100, and have never regretted it. I did get rid of the EQ mount and built a Dob base for it. Here's a blurb I wrote for a member on here with all the specs for that if you're interested.

01.JPG
02.JPG

My scope was manufactured by Towa; Tasco is just a rebrand of that. I also have a Towa 3" and a Tasco 3TE; both 3" mirrors and really great views for their size.

The scope you're looking at is probably made by Tsanzutsu, given the era it was built and the tube color.

So, how do you tell? Look at the label near the focuser. If you see a circle with a capital T in it, it's a Towa. If there's a diamond shape with a capital D in the middle, it's a Tsanzutsu. If it's neither, I'd like to hear about that :lol:

I've heard as much bad and also good about that manufacturer, as well as Towa; though that's mostly about their refractors it seems. But in my experience, the Towa reflectors are quite good, and I've heard the same about the Tsanzutsu brand. Anything after the mid-eighties was really a joke...

It's so grab and go, and works wonderfully well with a 1.25" focuser and some decent eyepieces. It would be a fun project... ;)

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

I also had a 11TE which I put on a dobs base was OK but not great , I landed up giving it away ,but was great fun building it
Cant seem to insert a picture at the moment
There is no adaptor for the focuser so to use modern eyepieces one has to change the focuser
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

How does one insert an image now ?when I click the insert image it just places 'image' instead of taking me to the options?
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Richard wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:04 pm How does one insert an image now ?when I click the insert image it just places 'image' instead of taking me to the options?
The way I do it is

1) Click attachments
2)Click Add file
3) Select file from your device
4) Click (place cursor) in the text where you want image to be
5) Click Place inline
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

IMG_1325.JPG
Thanks have not posted for some time so probably forgot !
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5