Refractordude Buys A Reflector Telescope

Discuss reflector telescopes
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Refractordude Buys A Reflector Telescope

Post by Refractordude »

I got this scope that comes with an object finder app. The LT was easy to setup and very light to carry. However, I have an issue with the app. I keep getting an message that the telescopes location cant be found. I followed all introductions, but no dice with the scope's location problem. I have here a YouTube video covering collimation. Is there anything else I need to know for collimation that is not in the video? The edge of my views with the LT were very soft. Moon craters were very soft, but I only had the LT outside for a few minutes. My main issue is the app problem. Left click the images. Thanks all.

https://www.celestron.com/products/star ... r-lt-114az

Attachments
scope 5.PNG
scope 1.PNG
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Refractordude Buys A Reflector Telescope

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I'm so sorry to hear that. The optics a are poor quality. The primary is spherical and the attempt to use a corrector for that is too costly to implement at this price point. We've discussed Jones-Bird telescopes (of which this is an example) as hobby killers. If you can return it, please do so ASAP and get something decent.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

It could be nothing wrong with your reflector. I had similar experiences. After been accustomed to sharp contrasty views provided by fracs, looking through a few newts/DOBs I found views too soft for my liking. It will take a well made reflector (not it that price range) to change that.

I agree with nFA. You should return it if possible.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

The issue with the app could be your phone settings.
I helped friend with a GPS Bluetooth connected watch.

First make sure your location settings are on, also check those settings under "privacy".

Then you may have to turn off any battery conserving settings.

This fixed his watch app.

But do note that this scope doesn't measure 1000mm in length, so it's a Bird-Jones scope :(
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:25 am I'm so sorry to hear that. The optics a are poor quality. The primary is spherical and the attempt to use a corrector for that is too costly to implement at this price point. We've discussed Jones-Bird telescopes (of which this is an example) as hobby killers. If you can return it, please do so ASAP and get something decent.
I really got it for the app not observation. If I could get the app to work I will keep it. Just got back in from doing a star test using Vega. According to what I am seeing on google images, the collimation is perfect or close. Also noticed that Moon craters are not as soft with an acceptable image. Yeah, I knew is was not the best of reflectors. Just hoping I could get the app to work. Thanks nFA
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Ylem wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:24 am The issue with the app could be your phone settings.
I helped friend with a GPS Bluetooth connected watch.

First make sure your location settings are on, also check those settings under "privacy".

Then you may have to turn off any battery conserving settings.

This fixed his watch app.

But do note that this scope doesn't measure 1000mm in length, so it's a Bird-Jones scope :(
Checked privacy's location section. It has for Starsense allowed only while in use. Battery saver is off. Must be something else.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

I created what I called a DSO finder a while ago. Sometimes it will be on target and sometimes it will be way off. The tripod I was using broke. So I never perfected it. If I cant get the LT app to work. I still have my DSO finder gadget to work on. Hunting for night sky targets and finding them has been a lot of fun. However, it takes up a lot of time.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15743
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I'm afraid this scope is just going to reaffirm to you that you love refractors! To make my point with a Venn diagram, here's what I came up with.
Scope Venn.jpg
As you can see, that inexpensive LT is way over on the far right side of its circle and nowhere near the "happy" zone. Sorry!
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

JayTee wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:33 am I'm afraid this scope is just going to reaffirm to you that you love refractors! To make my point with a Venn diagram, here's what I came up with.

As you can see, that inexpensive LT is way over on the far right side of its circle and nowhere near the "happy" zone. Sorry!
Great Venn diagram. I have noted that the images in my 6" Achro are a bit sharper than the Zhumell. The latter is often due to collimation. It's awfully easy to have the stars exhibit "splayed" characteristics rather than pinpoint perfection.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

There's no "App" worth keeping for that hobby killer. I'm sorry to be so harsh but please return it and get your money back. Now if you ant a great little reflector in the $250 range I say go for the Astronomers Without Borders 5" OneSky telescope. https://shop.astronomerswithoutborders. ... -telescope
SkyWatcher and a couple other companies make similar models but I like supporting AWB.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

AstroBee wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:24 pm There's no "App" worth keeping for that hobby killer. I'm sorry to be so harsh but please return it and get your money back. Now if you ant a great little reflector in the $250 range I say go for the Astronomers Without Borders 5" OneSky telescope. https://shop.astronomerswithoutborders. ... -telescope
SkyWatcher and a couple other companies make similar models but I like supporting AWB.
It has a data base of 30,000 objects. To me it is worth to use this reflector as an object finder. I think the problem is there are not enough stars to show the app. I will try one more time at my dark site. If it fails at the dark site I will return it. Due to coming holidays Best Buy has extended the return til January.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Refractordude wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:01 am I got this scope that comes with an object finder app. The LT was easy to setup and very light to carry. However, I have an issue with the app.
I did not catch the reference the first time, then I saw the demarcation within the video marquis. You bought a Celestron StarSense Explorer LT 114AZ 114mm (4.5”) Newtonian reflector on an alt-az mount. I googled "telescope LT" because I thought that LT was a technical abbreviation for "light tube" when you said that you got the LT set up easily.

Ignore the nay-sayers. Get what you can from the telescope. I just spent five nights over a couple of weeks with 70-mm entry-level refractors and I got so used to them that when I packed them up and returned to my 102-mm First Light, it was like Mount Palomar. But there is no doubt that whatever the drawbacks to "this one versus that one", you gain what you can from the experience. (And BTW my new 102-mm f/9.8 is also back in its cartons because I discovered that my arms are not long enough to guide the telescope while viewing. It's always something... I will put it on the go-mount later after we move from this house.) The only problems I read in your narrative stem from the app and I cannot help you there. So,thanks for the report.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

"Refractordude Buys A Reflector Telescope"

:twitch: Oh, the horror!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

pakarinen wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:19 pm :twitch: Oh, the horror!
I was going to quip about his being seduced to the dark side. Start with the 114 LT and next thing you know, a bespoke open-truss monster lighbucket on a Dobsonian mount... He was not ready to be a Jedi.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Refractordude wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:10 pm
AstroBee wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:24 pm There's no "App" worth keeping for that hobby killer. I'm sorry to be so harsh but please return it and get your money back. Now if you ant a great little reflector in the $250 range I say go for the Astronomers Without Borders 5" OneSky telescope. https://shop.astronomerswithoutborders. ... -telescope
It has a data base of 30,000 objects. To me it is worth to use this reflector as an object finder. I think the problem is there are not enough stars to show the app. I will try one more time at my dark site. If it fails at the dark site I will return it. Due to coming holidays Best Buy has extended the return til January.
Well, you’re covered then. I once considered doing something similar, using the app on a small cheap goto to orient the mighty Z12. ;) I discarded the idea because of the waste involved. I got the idea (by listening to "nay-sayers") that it would be less expensive to get or make an azimuth circle, a Wixey inclinometer, and use the free (free!) Carte du Ciel app.

But it looks like you may have found an arbitrage opportunity leveraging off your cell phone. Buying the Starsense accessory HW and app from Celestron is near $400! I hope the views in the scope don’t give you the barfies and that it’s a satisfactory solution.
mikemarotta wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:06 pm
Refractordude wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:01 am I got this scope that comes with an object finder app. The LT was easy to setup and very light to carry. However, I have an issue with the app.
…..
Ignore the nay-sayers. Get what you can from the telescope.
…..
Well as a die hard capitalist I don't ignore nay sayers, or happy folks. In a truly free market all information has value. In the current corporatist economic system (free market capitalism having died about 1970) I'm sure that our corporate overlords are pleased by your fealty. :) So welcome to your voyage on:

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:38 am
Refractordude wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:10 pm
Well, you’re covered then. I once considered doing something similar, using the app on a small cheap goto to orient the mighty Z12. ;) I discarded the idea because of the waste involved. I got the idea (by listening to "nay-sayers") that it would be less expensive to get or make an azimuth circle, a Wixey inclinometer, and use the free (free!) Carte du Ciel app.

But it looks like you may have found an arbitrage opportunity leveraging off your cell phone. Buying the Starsense accessory HW and app from Celestron is near $400! I hope the views in the scope don’t give you the barfies and that it’s a satisfactory solution.
mikemarotta wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:06 pm
…..
Ignore the nay-sayers. Get what you can from the telescope.
…..
Well as a die hard capitalist I don't ignore nay sayers, or happy folks. In a truly free market all information has value. In the current corporatist economic system (free market capitalism having died about 1970) I'm sure that our corporate overlords are pleased by your fealty. :) So welcome to your voyage on:

The scope with app is $179. I really think there is just not enough stars above my town for the app. I will know at the end of the month.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Made a mistake in thinking the Celestron StarSense app has a 40,000 database of objects. It actually has just 4000 objects. The GOTO DOB I was thinking about buying has 14,000 objects in it's database. With the StarSense I could get a DOB without GOTO and cut cost. Back to the drawing board. Will try the StarSense out before the end of the week at one of my dark sites. Even if it works out for me, I may return it to Best Buy. The database is kinda small.
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

I have had many versions of this BJ scope some were ok but many terrible , I purchase quite a few 114 SLT scopes for really cheap , like 50 us I think well the exchange(in RSA) changes like the weather here so dont know anymore but was cheap
I got 3 and only one was ok.(but the mounts I like)
I also got the Meade 114 for 10 US ,was so bad after fixing the drive (broken gearbox mount) that I gave it away when I sold a scope (2 for the price of one)
I also had a Kway ( 2 of them) 130 BJ scope ( There is no K way manufacture they are an outdoor company in RSA) so basically a rebranded 127 powerseeker I think and it was actually the best , well one was
I am sure there were other but cant remember now
But one must consider the markets , these cheap BJ scopes are like expensive SCT scopes , they are light and therefore work ok on cheap Alt/Az Go To mounts , certainly not as good , but out of the many I had one was close to my 36 year old C5!
So not a scope to get
I also must add this was all pre covid now its all different , prices have gone mad
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

As far as database your best bet is to look for mount which could be run by SkySafari. This way not only you get the largest data base available but ability to find moving and new targets like comets and asteroids.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

I have the DX102AZ refractor version of the StarSense and I enjoy it greatly. Here are a couple of things to try:

+ Make sure your phone camera is centered on the mirror. If it is too far to one side, the app will struggle to find it's location. When I say center, I mean the midline at the top of the mirror.
+ Make sure you are away from building walls, roof corners, etc. Phone camera tend to be fair wide angle and buildings can get in the way.
+Sounds dumb, but stay away from bright lamp posts, etc. The sky does have to be fairly dark past dusk for app to cruise.
+When you set it up and choose your reference star/planet, I like to use the night mode setting and I use my fingers to zoom on the star as I center it on the crosshairs.

What phone are you using?