My 6 inch f/5 reflector

Discuss reflector telescopes
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

My 6 inch f/5 reflector

Post by MistrBadgr »

Bigzmey liked my 60mm refractor with multiple finders on it so much, that as I was putting multiple finders on my 6 inch reflector I thought I would post a picture here for anyone's enjoyment.

I cannot twist myself into a pretzel any more to look through a finder in an odd position when using an equatorial mount, so I fixed this one up with a red dot and a 30mm RACI finder on each side. I tried it with just RACI finders, but kept having trouble being sure I was aiming at the right star or position and would be sighting down the side of the optical tube anyway.

I ordered a couple of the double gizmos from Orion and bought a couple of the nice red dot finders from Agena Astro like the good ones Orion used to sell but does not any more. I had some doubts about being able to line these up in a way that would allow me to use everything and still be able to look through an eyepiece without interference. Just with a quick test, it seems like this is going to work, no mater how odd it looks.

Enjoy! 2243
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Re: My 6 inch f/5 reflector

Post by helicon »

Wow, lots of finders on your scope!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

helicon wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:34 pm Wow, lots of finders on your scope!
I like to be able to find things, and when I need to, I want a finder in the spot I need it and not way off somewhere else! :)
Bill Steen
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Can't have enough finders! I dig your EP stool to. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:27 pm Can't have enough finders! I dig your EP stool to. :D
Thanks! Those have worked out well for me. :)

I made myself several of those for different sets of eyepieces. In some cases, modified for a particular scope or mount/tripod. The last four big ones, like the one in the picture, are eleven inches in diameter, with twelve holes for 1 1/4 inch eyepieces. There are two twelve inch pieces of 3/4 inch plywood glued together, then marked drill locations, drilled the holes, and sanded them out, to make sure eyepieces would fit in and slide smoothly. I then glued on a piece of quarter inch plywood, cut the outside circle, sanded, then sprayed with several coats of lacquer.

The eleven inch size will slide in on top of the original eyepiece tray of Polaris and the larger Infinity mounts. For smaller rigs, I make an eight hole version that just uses a single 3/4 inch piece of plywood. The diameter is such that it will fit inside either the triangular pans of some mounts and the circular trays with holes on others. The little ones are what I give to kids when I give them a 60mm refractor and some Ploessel eyepieces. I have been thinking about making some of the little ones a little thicker and then put a bottom on them.

The stool the eyepiece tray is sitting on is one I bought at Walmart, then cut a couple inches off the legs to use with Meade's EclipseView 114, while I sit in a canvas camping chair. It works double duty for holding an eyepiece tray when I am using the CG4 or LX 70 mounts. I do not like the tripod brace/eyepiece holder on those units at all.
Bill Steen
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

Great ideas both!

The finders made me think of spaceships, like an early prototype of the Enterprise in Star Trek.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

The Happy Parrot wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:16 pm Great ideas both!

The finders made me think of spaceships, like an early prototype of the Enterprise in Star Trek.
Check out my 60mm refractor, if the reflector reminds you of a space ship! :)

Bill Steen
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

Wow, what a beauty. This is more like a star fighter. Color coordinated too.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

MistrBadgr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:44 am

Just two finders on this one, how can you manage? ;)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:51 pm
MistrBadgr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:44 am

Just two finders on this one, how can you manage? ;)
It has been tough! :) Now that I have found someone that carries a nice, reasonably priced red dot finder that I like, I may buy one of those for the empty middle spot on "Sky Hunter."
Bill Steen

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I have tried quite few varieties of red dots and reflex sights and ironically the cheapest plain red dot works best for me. I buy them in bulk from eBay and put on all my scopes. You can ask them for discount if you buy more than one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383895247631?h ... SwfbJdQWP8