Is A No Need To Collimate Newtonian Telescope Possible?

Discuss reflector telescopes
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Is A No Need To Collimate Newtonian Telescope Possible?

Post by Refractordude »

Did not think this was possible until now. Perhaps marketing hype or I am not reading it correctly. Left click the image.
Attachments
dobsonian scope.PNG
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Is A No Need To Collimate Newtonian Telescope Possible?

Post by carastro »

Not heard of that before.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

They are stretching the truth a bit. If you handle them gently solid tube DOBs hold collimation for a while; truss DOB like this would require more frequent adjustments.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:20 am They are stretching the truth a bit. If you handle them gently solid tube DOBs hold collimation for a while; truss DOB like this would require more frequent adjustments.
Yes. Collimation will be needed from time to time. The advantage of this strut (not truss) scope is that on a real truss scope you WILL have to collimate every set up. With the collapsible strut design you might occasionally be able to skip a collimation on setup. I used to have the 14" truss dob from Orion and it needed collimation every time I assembled the trusses.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

Will occasionally need collimation. Every dob or reflector will eventually need collimation depending on frequency of use. With the right tools and attitude, collimation is a breeze. When setting up my 18 inch scope after driving to a remote sight, it usually takes only minutes to collimate to a high level good enough for high magnification use exceeding 500x.
Ivan
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I have a little 130mm OneSky that is of a similar design with only two struts and can tell you I check collimation every time I set it up and rarely have to make adjustments. But I'm very careful to not bang it around. It is stored, collapsed, in its original box with styrofoam padding.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That was the telescope I had before the one I have now. The missus and I had many fun times with her on the screwdriver and me at the eyepiece directing the collimation.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I have this scope and it is some what ok with holding collimation, plenty enough for visual,it does bump out a few mm once and awhile , shown when checking with my laser collimator. overall it's pretty practical and holds an ok collimation even when packing it away with using the telescopic truss poles, the only thing i usualy realy collimate is the spider/secondary mirror which gets bumped,twisted a bit when moving around the yard and inside the house.

also that price is way to much, i payed $799 aus new 6 years ago..
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Yeah, I had the 12" version of this for a while, but it was just too big for here. And it needed a bit of collimating every now and again as well.

I have a 4.5" reflector that comes in at f/7.8 and a 3" that dials in at f/9.2. Old Japanese-made scopes, and unless I accidentally whack the back end where the primary is, I rarely have to collimate them. The 3" I've collimated once (when I bought it) in three years; still bang-on. As close as I've ever come to a maintenance-free refractor :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

They said there was no need between uses. During use, however...
:dance:
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

They don't say that it does not need collimation they just state that it does not need collimation every time you assembled it like a truss design, I have a truss Dobson and yes I have to do collimation every time I assemble it...but I have developed a smooth system using a laser and it takes less than 3 minutes and then I know the scope is 100% every time I use it.
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Like Piet, I have a full truss tube newt, mine is 18" diamter and I have to collimate it every time. With a laser mine takes about 5-6 mins. The advantage of using a laser with a 2.5m focal length is that you don't need two people.

My 6" f7 solid tube newt does not require frequent collimation. When it does, it only takes a few minutes. In general, people who don't own newts make a big deal about collimation which is really a very simple and quick procedure.

If collimation requires tools, try to modify it with some sort of knobs, so that you can collimate by hand.

Joe.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Moon Ambassador

Post by 25585 »

F6 & slower solid tube Newtonians need less collimating. 10" F6, 8" F6 & 6" F8 are mine. I also have 10" F5 & 12" F5 solid tube scopes, not too much trouble.
Unashamed Linda Ronstadt ♡ fan! :dance: :Clap:

Eyepieces from: Aero, Antares, APM, Baader, Brandon, Bresser, Celestron, Datysun, Docter, Explore Scientific, GSO, I R Poyser, Meade, Nikon, Orion, Pentax, Rodenstock, Siberia, Sky-Watcher, Taiso, Takahashi, TAL, Tele Vue, TS, Vernonscope, Vixen, Zeiss.

Scopes from: Altair, Bresser, Lumicon, Orion Optics UK, Sky-Watcher, Takahashi, Tele Vue, TS, Vixen.