Discuss reflector telescopes
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Bob’s knobs & Corrector plate

Post by Greenman »

Well the upgrade to the knobs was simple, but looking at the corrector plate (I'm normally at the other end) it is dirty and there are signs of fungal growth on the underside. I have looked at videos that show plate cleaning and it looks possible. My question is would you bother?

There is a number of posts around saying, better to leave it (CN & SGL).
So I'm a bit paranoid about this step... :|

Image9537D235-8EE0-437E-8719-29F521755D69 by Tony Boutle, on Flickr
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Bob’s knobs & Corrector plate

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I’d leave it alone for a few years. :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

If the telescope is less than two years old you best not take the plate out as the warranty will be voided.

When the paint peeled from the inside of my 18 month old Celestron 9.25 OTA I took the corrector plate out to clean the debris from the mirrors. Then I sent it back to the supplier for repair and Celestron claimed I used chemicals to clean the mirror which caused the OTA paint to fail. Both points completely untrue. Worst customer service I have ever experienced.

I'm interested to see how others clean the outside of the glass though. I've got 100mm square alcohol soaked, spectacle cleaning cloths.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:05 pm I’d leave it alone for a few years. :)
Yeah, I tend towards that conclusion I think the Scope is Circa 2012, handed on to me as a gift.
Cheers,

Tony.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Graeme1858 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:06 pm If the telescope is less than two years old you best not take the plate out as the warranty will be voided.

When the paint peeled from the inside of my 18 month old Celestron 9.25 OTA I took the corrector plate out to clean the debris from the mirrors. Then I sent it back to the supplier for repair and Celestron claimed I used chemicals to clean the mirror which caused the OTA paint to fail. Both points completely untrue. Worst customer service I have ever experienced.

I'm interested to see how others clean the outside of the glass though. I've got 100mm square alcohol soaked, spectacle cleaning cloths.

Regards

Graeme
The video’s I saw suggested a mild detergent in water with delicate (not circular) strokes, then cleaning down the same way with distilled water. You want high grade water for the clean up, best from a scientific supplier.

Last edited by Greenman on Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Tony.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Greenman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:34 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:05 pm I’d leave it alone for a few years. :)
Yeah, I tend towards that conclusion I think the Scope is Circa 2012, handed on to me as a gift.
And after collimating you got that very nice image of Mars! In deciding whether to clean it’s the eye end of the scope that has the majority vote. :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 pm
Greenman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:34 pm
And after collimating you got that very nice image of Mars! In deciding whether to clean it’s the eye end of the scope that has the majority vote. :)
:lol: Indeed decision made. It stays as it is!
Cheers,

Tony.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A good decision, it is not that dirty yet.

You could use the Zeiss lens wipes but I would suggest either using the Zeiss spray bottle or making your own solution of 50/50 distilled water and Isopropyl alcohol (95% or better) with 2 drops of original blue Dawn detergent. Make 1 litre.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Harmonious
Earth Ambassador

Post by Harmonious »

Over at Cloudy All the Time, cleaning techniques and solutions are perennials. The same questions and the same answers over and over again. Many of them are those suggested by a seeming polymath and private observatory owner. Rod Mollise takes a different view, he like Windex and facial tissue. https://astromart.com/forums/vendors/ce ... post131386

Not often mentioned are the methods of the professional photographer. Would they work for a telescope? I recommend a google.

Are modern lens coatings delicate films easily wiped away? Can flaws on the objective be seen in the eyepiece or image? How extensive must damage be to be seen in the eyepiece or image?

I began where the OP is now wanting to clean and worried about what to do. I made up the Sherrod solution, I bought a squeeze bulb blower and a very soft brush. I discovered that sweat isn't a very good cleaning solution.

Now I clean when things look very dirty or when as recently smoke particulates appear or pollen appears. I use Windex, Ziess Lens Wipes, or 90% Isopropanol if it is handy and tissue paper or microfiber or 100% cotton, well you get the idea.

If failure to use a magic solution and failure to use some particular pad and failure to always blot and never wipe will kill an objective, corrector or eyepiece, then I have killed several good scopes. Odd that I don't notice it.

To write this I had to google Mollise and while I was looking is discovered this fact about aluminum as in aluminized mirror. Not relevant but interesting.

"Remember that when fresh Aluminium is exposed to air, a thin layer (about 30 Angstroms) of aluminium oxide Al2O3 will form on the surface. That layer is a tremendous protection as its Knoop hardness is 2100 kg.mm-2 (compared to only 140 kg.mm-2 for bulk Aluminium)."
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Harmonious wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 pm Over at Cloudy All the Time, cleaning techniques and solutions are perennials. The same questions and the same answers over and over again. Many of them are those suggested by a seeming polymath and private observatory owner. Rod Mollise takes a different view, he like Windex and facial tissue. https://astromart.com/forums/vendors/ce ... post131386

Not often mentioned are the methods of the professional photographer. Would they work for a telescope? I recommend a google.

Are modern lens coatings delicate films easily wiped away? Can flaws on the objective be seen in the eyepiece or image? How extensive must damage be to be seen in the eyepiece or image?

I began where the OP is now wanting to clean and worried about what to do. I made up the Sherrod solution, I bought a squeeze bulb blower and a very soft brush. I discovered that sweat isn't a very good cleaning solution.

Now I clean when things look very dirty or when as recently smoke particulates appear or pollen appears. I use Windex, Ziess Lens Wipes, or 90% Isopropanol if it is handy and tissue paper or microfiber or 100% cotton, well you get the idea.

If failure to use a magic solution and failure to use some particular pad and failure to always blot and never wipe will kill an objective, corrector or eyepiece, then I have killed several good scopes. Odd that I don't notice it.

To write this I had to google Mollise and while I was looking is discovered this fact about aluminum as in aluminized mirror. Not relevant but interesting.

"Remember that when fresh Aluminium is exposed to air, a thin layer (about 30 Angstroms) of aluminium oxide Al2O3 will form on the surface. That layer is a tremendous protection as its Knoop hardness is 2100 kg.mm-2 (compared to only 140 kg.mm-2 for bulk Aluminium)."
Nice link, at this point I am safe to leave it for some time, and never polish aluminium.
Cheers,

Tony.

Arctic
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arctic »

I'd clean it, but that's just me.

I've taken the corrector off my Meade LX10 SCT a couple of times over the years. Pretty easy. Just remember to use the factory markings to put it back together in its proper alignment.

Windex, Dawn dish soap, and alcohol all work. Wipe gently!
Gordon
Scopes: Meade LX10 8" SCT, Explore Scientific AR102 Refractor on ES Twilight 1 Mount, Oberwerks 15X70 Binos, Nikon Action Extreme 10X50 Binos.
Eyepieces: ES 68* 24mm, ES 68* 20mm, ES 82* 11mm, ES 82* 8.8mm
Observing: Messier Objects--110/110, H1 Objects-- 400/400. Hundreds of additional NGC Objects. Significant Comets: Kohoutek, West, Halley, Hyakatake, Hale-Bopp, McNair, Neowise. Transits of Mercury and Venus.
2017 Total Solar Eclipse
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Arctic wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:14 pm I'd clean it, but that's just me.

I've taken the corrector off my Meade LX10 SCT a couple of times over the years. Pretty easy. Just remember to use the factory markings to put it back together in its proper alignment.

Windex, Dawn dish soap, and alcohol all work. Wipe gently!
The only real effect I see from it is when cameras are connected pre-focus you can see some shadows, but once you focus they vanish. I’m sure there will be a bit of attenuation and scattering, if it gets noticeable I will clean the corrector. At the moment I err towards ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’.
Cheers,

Tony.

andy brown
Earth Ambassador

Post by andy brown »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:42 pm A good decision, it is not that dirty yet.

You could use the Zeiss lens wipes but I would suggest either using the Zeiss spray bottle or making your own solution of 50/50 distilled water and Isopropyl alcohol (95% or better) with 2 drops of original blue Dawn detergent. Make 1 litre.
What shade of blue is the original blue dawn detergent? not being facetious but I hope you see the point..
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

:lol: The bottle says original on it, is also called Fairy (green) in UK and Jar here.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Sky United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by Sky »

If you think it might be the time to clean your optics .... it might already be too late!

I use the home made cleaning solution recommended by Meade:

1 part isopropyl alcohol (91% or better)

2 parts distilled water

1 drop of liquid dish soap

Mixed in a pint bottle

I start by closely examining the corrector ... looking for large pieces of stuck "crud". I knock them off by gently "dusting" the plate using no-pressure with a large, bunched-up wad of lotion-free, no-scent Kleenex tissues.

I'll then start cleaning using a large wad of tissue ... amply soaked with the cleaning solution ... using gentle pressure in a radial motion out from the secondary mirror holder. The tissue is frequently changed. Drying is done in using the same gentle, radial motion ... frequently changing out the tissue. I start with a full box of tissues and after the cleaning, the floor will be littered ankle deep with used "wads" of tissue!

It takes me about 5-10 minutes to complete the cleaning. I do this at least once a year to remove contaminates like tree sap and dried acid dew that will damage optical coatings if not removed in a timely manner. Cleaning is fast, simple and will not damage the corrector. Don't wait until real damage is done!

Don't waste your money on fancy and expensive cleaning formulas and kits. The "near zero-cost" Meade cleaning solution and cleaning method produces excellent results.

The corrector on my 21 year old 12" SCT still looks factory new ... no spots, no scratches, no sleeks, no smears and no fuss!

Here's a fairly recent shot of my 12" corrector:
Meade SCT Corrector.jpg
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Cleaning optics is of course up to the user but I go by the saying, if in doubt about it, wait another year then check again.
Other than a occasional blast with a dust blower or having to remove spider webs/ sap and the like, dust takes a long time before it starts altering he view.