Mirror Resurface?

Discuss reflector telescopes
KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Mirror Resurface?

Post by KingNothing13 »

I will preface this by saying I know my mirror is in NO need of resurfacing, and I do NOT plan on having it resurfaces any time soon.

But having said that, I cannot help but wonder - how much would a Zambuto resurfacing improve the mirror?

https://zambutomirrors.com/zambutoopticalc1.html
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Mirror Resurface?

Post by yobbo89 »

sorry i can't help you but it would be intresting to find out the "realworld" performance of the optics other then by going from the numbers. ie is the extra percentage realy worth it for general use ie observing, imaging/''artistic proccessing''. maybe there is a gain when imaging towards the uv end or high resolution planetary work , i'm going do some research on strehl ratio

i just checked some mirror re coaters here in the aus online, it turns out it's almost cheaper to just buy a new coated mirror , about 14-16'' and over the value of recoating is alot better .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I think the OP is asking about refiguring not recoating?
Zambuto mirrors are famous for very fine figure.

It’s unclear to me that it’s worth it though. The scope is obstructed by the secondary so that is a significant Strehl ratio handicap. I’d rather spend the money on a larger aperture GSO mirror.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:44 pm It’s unclear to me that it’s worth it though. The scope is obstructed by the secondary so that is a significant Strehl ratio handicap. I’d rather spend the money on a larger aperture GSO mirror.
Yeah, it's more of a "thought experiment" along those lines - like I said - I am not considering it at all with my current mirror - just wondering if it would make any difference with it. I would suspect not enough to justify the cost.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

KingNothing13 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:48 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:44 pm It’s unclear to me that it’s worth it though. The scope is obstructed by the secondary so that is a significant Strehl ratio handicap. I’d rather spend the money on a larger aperture GSO mirror.
Yeah, it's more of a "thought experiment" along those lines - like I said - I am not considering it at all with my current mirror - just wondering if it would make any difference with it. I would suspect not enough to justify the cost.
Ultra smooth mirror surfaces are costly. The main physical difference is less scattered light at the objective. It’d be interesting to see what the trade off would be with other methods of reducing scatter like baffling the OTA. IMHO the most cost effective way to get rid of scattered light in a Newtonian is to install knife edge baffling in the OTA.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i also wounder if the reduced scattering would help push a sct magnifaction a bit futher with a barlow
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

yobbo89 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:26 pm i also wounder if the reduced scattering would help push a sct magnifaction a bit futher with a barlow
I suppose one could get a somewhat higher magnification. I don't think it is preferable. By magnifying 2X with the barlow the whole image will become 4X darker. That means the advantage is gone.
IMHO : It is nicer to enjoy the better contrast with the same magnification. Far more pleasing.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

There is refiguring, but there is also recoating.

Re-coating
In 1978/79 I ground and polished a 6" mirror under the supervision of an expert mentor. He pushed me to keep working on it until near perfect. It's first coating was done by an excellent optical coater and the scopes performance was exceptional.

It's second coat, about 12 years later, was mediocre and the scopes performance reflected that.

That coat stayed on for 20 years during which time, I was doing very little observing. Two years ago, I had it recoated with a very high quality expensive coating - I could have bought a finished 10" GSO mirror for the same money and had money for a mid-priced eyepiece left over. But it was very worthwhile. Those of you from AF may remember my post about the comparison we did between a 6"f7 newtonian and a Takahashi TOA-150 6"f7.5.

Alas, AF has shut down now and material is unavailable but the comparison is still posted on my website.
https://joe-cali.com/astronomy/articles ... ctors.html

Was it worth it? In my case - yes, definitely. Rob is correct that if you have an off the shelf mirror, and given the reasonable quality of GSO & Synta mirrors, it's probably not worth it. You might even get a better mirror out of the swap.

Refiguring
I can't comment specifically on the refiguring. I can say that detail seen through a high quality optic is exquisite. But the improvement depends on how bad your current mirror is.

Cheers

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

cheers joe, i'll enjoye the read.

Ngc1514
Earth Ambassador

Post by Ngc1514 »

KingNothing13 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:48 pm
My observing buddy has a 20” f/5 scope with what many of us thought an excellent mirror. Mike Lockwood, of Lockwood Optics, said it was god, but he could make it even better. After months of humming and hawing, Harry sent the glass to Mike. It is now one of the sweetest pieces of glass one could wish for!

Without knowing the qualities of your existing mirror, the question of refiguring can not be answered. Most machine made commercial mirrors are fair to good, but very few are excellent. I love walking around the observing field to peek through all the telescopes. My unscientific estimation is at least 70% of them are in dire need of collimation. I’ve seen a few with strong spherical aberration and some with obviously rough surfaces.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I imagine proper recoating by a world class optics producer would be benifical.

Either way I do like the owners attitude:

There is brightness, which is provided by aperture, and there is contrast, which allows one to see detail. I have been accused of overstating the importance of contrast, so please let me be clear. “Contrast is not everything. Outside of aperture, contrast is the only thing”.

-Carl Zambuto
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people