Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Digging out the old Newt!

Post by Gordon »

For many years I used a 10 inch Skywatcher as my primary telescope, a couple of years back I purchased a ES80ed-cf refractor to do most of my imaging on.

Yesterday I finally got around to 'unpacking' the newt from the stuff I used to pack it with when we move almost 2 years ago! I decided I shouldn't let it just sit any longer. I had to do some changes to the configuration I had it in when it was on the pier at my old place. Added the new guidescope and configured the dovetail to accept my minicomputer and autofocuser hardware. The mirror is in pretty good shape considering it's over 10 years old!!! I will pull it out and give it a 'bath' but other than that I'm almost ready to go.

I'm looking forward to capturing some of the smaller targets that are difficult with the 80 ed.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Digging out the old Newt!

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Good for you. I need to resume my remodeling of my Z12. I'm "feeling guilty" about it. ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

And here I thought you were going to do some visual! :)

But, sounds like it will come in handy with imaging some of the challenge objects that are a wee bit smaller.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Very nice,upload some pics when you get a chance :)
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Newts get fun at 10" :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Have fun with the telescope Gordon :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Just a quick update on my progress.

With arthritis in my back, I can't stand for long periods of time, so this project is taking a bit longer than I would like it to. A few things I have discovered. The 10 Inch is HEAVY!!!

I had forgotten my technique for getting the scope on the mount. I tried to lift the scope, with the camera, dovetail rings, minicomputer, focuser box etc etc installed, on to the mount. Came too close to dropping it. Then I remembered (another old age issue) that I always installed the dovetail and accessories on the mount first then just placed the tube in the rings last. (much easier!!!).

Then I was testing the focuser and it wasn't working. I double-checked the wiring again and didn't see an issue. So I took everything off the mount, I then opened the dovetail rings and removed the tube to try to get better access to the connections. During this balancing act on my workbench, the dove tail and rings slipped, and I almost dropped everything again. I got the problem fixed, the wiring was wrong in my 'extension' cable.

The big problem with this whole change is the fact that the ED80 is much smaller, and I had built everything around it. Now with the Newt everything is in a different place and much further away from the mini computer, so I've had to do quite a bit of cable "extending". Once I'm done it should work fine, and I will be able to switch back and forth pretty easy.

I got the mirrors cleaned up. I found a dead cricket inside the scope that got moved from our old house.

If everything goes right I should have it done today. Then we wait for the overcast to clear out for the "first light" from Arizona!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC

StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Gordon,
Now you're making me feel lazy! Good work and good luck. Be careful, of course!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Good idea Gordon! For galaxies and other smaller targets a 10" Newt is great. Not sure if it's an astrograph or visual but a Newt astrograph with a good coma corrector can be an amazing tool for astrophotography. With my 12" Newt astrograph the Paracorr 2 produces super round stars all the way into the corners and I'm now quite happy with the choice (though I have to improve the mount mechanics a bit). The Paracorr 2 CC is not cheap (and I have a Baader MPCC Mk III like yours) but, reading up on performance, I decided to get the Paracorr 2. No regrets at all. I haven't plugged the Baader in yet to see the difference, I may do it some time.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Yay Gordon,

I am in the same situation. I will follow your lead by unpacking my 8" Dob starting next week.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:17 pm Good idea Gordon! For galaxies and other smaller targets a 10" Newt is great. Not sure if it's an astrograph or visual but a Newt astrograph with a good coma corrector can be an amazing tool for astrophotography. With my 12" Newt astrograph the Paracorr 2 produces super round stars all the way into the corners and I'm now quite happy with the choice (though I have to improve the mount mechanics a bit). The Paracorr 2 CC is not cheap (and I have a Baader MPCC Mk III like yours) but, reading up on performance, I decided to get the Paracorr 2. No regrets at all. I haven't plugged the Baader in yet to see the difference, I may do it some time.
It's not an astrograph, but I have used it for AP for quite a few years before I got the 80 ED refractor. I'm making progress, still fighting with the auto focuser. Hopefully I can get that dialed in today.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Well,

I finally got everything dialed in. Now we wait on clear sky.

The monster is alive!
76731DE7-9698-4A5B-A376-E4596BF4B907.jpeg
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Gordon wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:25 pm Well, I finally got everything dialed in. Now we wait on clear sky. The monster is alive!
So... what happened?

(A thousand years ago, my wife and I had been married about a year and were attending New Mexico State University and a little theater there ran classic movies - and served a fascinating array of chili pepper and curried popcorns. Anyway, one of the movies was Colossus: The Forbin Project. Competing USSR and USA supercomputers conspire to unite and take over the world. Dr. Forbin objects. The people will resist! The machine replies, "They will learn to love me." End of show. No credits. Just a white screen. We sat there stunned. After some long minutes someone said, "Colossus is Greek for "Leaves you hanging, folks!")

And so you have. What happened next?
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Good luck I hope it works fine , I must admit that these big news on EQ mounts are not my cup of tea
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

I've had great success with getting everything back up and running. Had a couple great nights, but it's "monsoon season" now so rain and clouds most everyday. I need to so a couple software updates before the next use, but other than that we are up and running.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Gordon wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:46 pm I've had great success with getting everything back up and running. Had a couple great nights, but it's "monsoon season" now so rain and clouds most everyday. I need to so a couple software updates before the next use, but other than that we are up and running.
Good deal Gordon. Now you can handle the smaller targets I throw into the monthly DSO challenge. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:52 pm
Good deal Gordon. Now you can handle the smaller targets I throw into the monthly DSO challenge. :)
That was the plan all along! The ED80 does great for the big stuff but getting detail on the smaller stuff is difficult. Nice thing is the 'change over' from one scope to another is pretty easy now.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I have finally accomplished the same digging out task. Let the collimation begin.

JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

10" on an Atlas, yep that's a big boy! :lol:
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink: