Adapting Celestron's excellent StarSense Explorer platesolving app to a Z8 dob

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Adapting Celestron's excellent StarSense Explorer platesolving app to a Z8 dob

Post by The Happy Parrot »

A few weeks ago I posted my first impressions on the new Celestron DX 102AZ refractor. This is an entry level telescope, a nice one at that, with a neat trick up it's sleeve. It has a cradle to hold your mobile phone which, together with Celestron's StarSense Explorer app, plate solves where you are pointing at in the sky such that you can push the OTA to specific stars and objects. Very handy for galaxy hunting.

Two months later I am still besotted with this telescope. It is so easy set up and acclimate that I never think twice about going outside even if it's just for a short time. Presently I'm at ~50 Messier objects from my backyard despite its limited views, and that speaks well of this entry level telescope.

There are times, however, when faint galaxies scream for a bit more light and that's when my Z8 dob comes out. Normally I star hop with the Z8 but I often wish it was as easy to use as the Celestron DX 102AZ SSE.

To fix this I upcycled a broken red dot finder, a small mirror, a bicycle wrench, and a few magnets into a cradle for my phone with the app. Given our quarantine situation in Massachusetts, I wasn't about to go to a hardware store to get the perfect parts so this first prototype is very much a MacGyver project at this point.
In the picture above you can see how the red dot finder fits securely on the Z8's finder scope slot.
In the picture above you can see how the red dot finder fits securely on the Z8's finder scope slot.
Galaxy Hunter foto 1.jpg (41.3 KiB) Viewed 5279 times
Magnets on bicycle wrench.
Magnets on bicycle wrench.
Galaxy Hunter foto 2.jpg (39.15 KiB) Viewed 5279 times
Note the five magnets on the bike wrench to hold the phone and mirror. Magnets allow me to adjust and center the phone's camera on top of the mirror. Though the magnets hold the phone surprisingly well, the small hole on the back will eventually have a screw with a part to further support the phone when the telescope is in vertical position.
Mirror mounted on cradle with phone camera centered.
Mirror mounted on cradle with phone camera centered.
Galaxy Hunter foto 3.JPG (40.85 KiB) Viewed 5279 times
Another view from above.
Another view from above.
Galaxy Hunter foto 4.JPG (43.49 KiB) Viewed 5279 times
First test on the Z8 is tonight though I'm sure adjustments will be needed. I already wish the mirror was a 1-2cm longer to capture more of the sky. Two small side flaps will likely be needed to block stray light shining on the mirror as well. And last but not least, a "belt and suspenders" bungee cord to protect my phone is probably a wise addition. More on this after tonight's test run.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Adapting Celestron's excellent StarSense Explorer platesolving app to a Z8 dob

Post by JayTee »

Cool gizmo!

Have you ever used the app, SkEye? Your smartphone sits on your scope just as you show in your picture. You use its calibration routine then it senses the motion when you move your OTA and displays on a planetarium display screen to show you where you are pointing. I have yet to build the smartphone holder to take full advantage of this app.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Adapting Celestron's excellent StarSense Explorer platesolving app to a Z8 dob

Thanks JT. I have read abut SkEye on Cloudy Nights and it sounds very promising. There are in a fact a few people there who have compared it with Celestron's SSE. If it's the app I'm thinking of, the inventor has done a single handed herculean job from what I've read and credit to him. On what telescope do you want to adapt it for?
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Just came in after a 45 minute first test and I am happy to report it works very well. Better than expected despite tonight's bright moon.

Began by centering the phone camera with the top of the mirror. Doesn't have to be perfect but you want to maximize the camera's FOV on the mirror. That took about 5 seconds. Then I aligned the telescope and app with Venus. Another 5 seconds.

Picked an easy first target, the Beehive, and pushed the OTA over. There it was, majestic with my GSO 2" 30mm eyepiece. Slewed next to M67, centered it on the app's bullseye, and there it was. Every target was within the 1.5 degree bullseye tonight.

The next test was a little scary as my phone was not wearing a seat belt so a fall would be an expensive mistake. Bodes Nebulae, M81-M82, about 80 degrees above me. Would the magnets hold? Gingerly, I slewed up, the phone did not shift one millimeter. I centered the bullseye, and there they were, both galaxies clearly visible. That GSO eyepiece is great as long as your target is not too close to the edge.

The little magnets are amazing so further up we went to M51 and M101. Practically straight up with the phone, leather cover and all, hanging perilously like a gecko on a wall. Caught a very washed out glimpse of M51 and nothing of M101 due to the moon. But the phone held.

From there I went on to see a few clusters and double stars. Moved the telescope around the yard on it's flyer cart and only had to readjust alignment once.

To conclude, I was lucky to have a spare red dot finder. It allowed me to use the telescope's finder slot for safe factory centered positioning. I think a slightly larger mirror would be helpful, mine is 4x5cm and a 5x6cm might work better. Side flaps to block stray light on the mirror would be nice to have, but not a need to have. While the telephone stayed in place the entire time, a secondary mechanism to hold the phone is a need to have if you are viewing on a hard ground.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

The only scope that I would use that app for is my manual 8" Dob. Because it's my only manual mount.

JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

This is really cool. I might try it with my new phone that is scheduled to arrive tomorrow by FedEX - a google pixel 4 xl. I thought that getting magnets close to the phone might cause a problem, but I guess not. I don't know if I am handy enough to pull this off but kudos to you for this very smart addition to your scope.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

helicon wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:23 pm This is really cool. I might try it with my new phone that is scheduled to arrive tomorrow by FedEX - a google pixel 4 xl. I thought that getting magnets close to the phone might cause a problem, but I guess not. I don't know if I am handy enough to pull this off but kudos to you for this very smart addition to your scope.
Thanks Michael. I think a 10 inch dob and a bleeding edge camera phone makes for some interesting opportunities.

Regarding the magnets, these came from name tags I used to have at my job. They are oddly strong and too cool to throw away. I've had a magnetic phone holder in my car for a couple of years and have never noticed any problems. Granted, these particular magnets are stronger but in last night's test no phones were harmed as best I can tell. My biggest worry was that it would fall off the cradle and phones today are pricier than telescopes.

This set up is very simple. An old red dot finder, a bike wrench, rubber bands and magnets. If you do decide to try it, check the Celestron website for phone app compatibility and MAKE SURE YOUR NEW PHONE IS ANCHORED SOLID.