removing the miror from a Meade 8"

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

removing the miror from a Meade 8"

Post by mcolbert »

DIY II ;)

I want to check the forum wisdom on how to remove the mirror from my SCT.

From what I have seen on other sites the three things to remember are;
1. DON'T DO IT!
2. DON'T DO IT!
3. DON'T DO IT! :)

The reason for removal is that I wish to have it recoated with gold to use as a dedicated IR scope. (I know, humour me;). )

So, are there any recommended links for this process either on other fora sites or Youtube / Vimeo?

Any words of wisdom??

Thanks ;)
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Cameras - Blads, D70s, D3300, Lunar and Planetary Cameras (2)
DIY Glass - German military and opthalmic sourced items, AGFA AVIPHOT DIA C
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: removing the miror from a Meade 8"

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Quite the undertaking!
Have you considered going the gold diagonal route?
Vernonscope used to make a 2” gold coated for imaging and visual and I believe there may be one or two places that can do it as well.

I know Meade released some SCTs in the 1980s with gold mirrors for imaging but I have never seen one before.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

Lady Fraktor, that would certainly be a cheaper option, and I'll check with the place / people that are going to do the job and look if there are any advantages in doing it that way.
I'll chase up Vernonscope as well.

Re the Meades, that is the first time I have heard that they did that, never even seen one advertised on the second hand market. Thanks for the heads up.

I intend to have the mirror coated for use between 1000 - 1800 nm and it seems doable. The tricky thing with this DIY is removal of the mirror safely. ;)
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I checked my faulty recollection and it seems they were made for optimizing laser communications but they do work for IR imaging.
The estimates I found were between 40-50 8” were made but not sure which company did the recoating.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The big thing with taking everything apart is to make sure you maintain the orientation of the plate and mirrors.
There are quite a few YouTube videos on how to strip them down.

Here is something I just found about the Meade telescopes: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/4925 ... de-10-sct/
Gabrielle
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

LadyFraktor thanks for the link. I'm glad that it had input from someone at Meade. I have seen others on CN and they aren't as detailed - certainly not as clear as John was. Copy made for reference. ;) The confidence (or is that foolhardiness?) is there to remove the mirror once I get the go ahead from the coating people that they are ready to go as well. They have a 16" being done at the moment apparently.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

look forward to hearing about the results, it should be quite interesting when viewing I imagine and create some unique images.
Gabrielle
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

that's part of the idea, as well as some minor research possibilities. :)
OleCuss
Mars Ambassador

Post by OleCuss »

I once asked one of the SCT makers just how critical the orientation of the corrector plate really is. The response I got was that if you were within a few degrees you were fine. It is still good to try to keep the orientation the same but I'd not be afraid about that.

It gets more interesting with the mirror, I think. IIRC there is an arm which comes off the mirror and is then used along with the focuser? I think that when they do the coating that they first remove the arm and you can thus totally lose the orientation of the mirror. I'd thus use something sharp to scribe the position onto the back of the mirror so that it will be re-attached in the right position.

It appears that getting the shimming done properly (the same) may be more critical? But I'm not entirely sure about that.

I've an 11" I need to take apart at some time. The shimming worries me most.

Oh, and I think OSI/Farpoint may still do gold coating?
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

I have only removed the front lens on my SCT as it needed cleaning , that was quite a simple job , but I have removed the primary mirror from a ETX 90 and it was not too difficult , the hard part is to know how it was put together so that one does not break anything. the ETX was filled with insect debris so had to come apart but all went well
Re coating the mirror I have no Idea but out of interest what is the advantage of gold?
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The gold coating improves IR viewing/ imaging dropping the blue/ green part of the spectrum.
From what I have read for visual you would have a yellow halo instead of violet as in a achromatic.
Supposedly it really enhances planetary detail as well.

Vernonscope made a 2" planetary diagonal that was gold coated for a short time.
Gabrielle
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

OleCuss wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:10 pm I once asked one of the SCT makers just how critical the orientation of the corrector plate really is. The response I got was that if you were within a few degrees you were fine. It is still good to try to keep the orientation the same but I'd not be afraid about that.

It gets more interesting with the mirror, I think. IIRC there is an arm which comes off the mirror and is then used along with the focuser? I think that when they do the coating that they first remove the arm and you can thus totally lose the orientation of the mirror. I'd thus use something sharp to scribe the position onto the back of the mirror so that it will be re-attached in the right position.

It appears that getting the shimming done properly (the same) may be more critical? But I'm not entirely sure about that.

I've an 11" I need to take apart at some time. The shimming worries me most.

Oh, and I think OSI/Farpoint may still do gold coating?
OleCuss thanks for the info re Farpoint, they have been bookmarked. I am looking at a local service a few hundred kilometres away, but it's good to know of others to send future mirrors to. ;)

You raise my concerns with orientation and making the small marks are the way to go, I'll ensure that is one of the first things that is done.

Re the shimming I plan on taking a continual series of images on the process - tricky as I can't be in two places at once but the movie function then comes into its own with the D3300.

Thanks for the tips. :)
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

Richard wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 pm I have only removed the front lens on my SCT as it needed cleaning , that was quite a simple job , but I have removed the primary mirror from a ETX 90 and it was not too difficult , the hard part is to know how it was put together so that one does not break anything. the ETX was filled with insect debris so had to come apart but all went well
Re coating the mirror I have no Idea but out of interest what is the advantage of gold?
you're giving me confidence - always good.;)

LadyFractor has covered the advantages in her response but I am keeping open to 'messing around' with it as well. ;)
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:13 pm The gold coating improves IR viewing/ imaging dropping the blue/ green part of the spectrum.
From what I have read for visual you would have a yellow halo instead of violet as in a achromatic.
Supposedly it really enhances planetary detail as well.

Vernonscope made a 2" planetary diagonal that was gold coated for a short time.
Just out of curiosity I'll see if I can track down one of those diagonals. (email sent to Vernonscope)

Thanks!
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

I'll chase up the coatings people and see how their schedule is and with any luck I can do 'the deed' on Friday our time.
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

just received an email from Liz, apparently the diagonals were made by one Don Yeier, and they are no longer being produced, not even on special order.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

They were ridiculously expensive as well.
The regular Vernonscope 2” diagonal is $720USD and seemed like a bargain in comparison!
Gabrielle
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

and what with the price of gold currently....

I will also check if they can do the diagonal as well.

Thanks
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

to report, the mirror has been removed - it was a pain free operation, no anaesthetic required for either mirror or operator. ;)

Now to box and wait to send for coating.

On the Meade it appears to be a simple operation as shown in several threads elsewhere on other fora. I must say though that I haven't removed the secondary and will await confirmation as to whether this is required by the coating service.

Now, on to the next little project.... ;)
Hartsville SkyGazer
Moon Ambassador

Post by Hartsville SkyGazer »

Interesting Thread. Keep us posted on updates! Be great if you could share a few images of this journey!