By jove, it works!

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

By jove, it works!

Post by Thefatkitty »

Recently there was a thread titled "Barn door tracker?" by member maceemiller. It got me to thinking of the one I had made about three years ago and never even tried! :lol:

I built it out of steel, and as it wasn't ever painted, it began to lightly rust as well. Since it was going to be powered by me, I printed off a clock face, put it on a jar lid, which is held in place by gravity and a skateboard wheel bearing, on which turns a nut that has bicycle spokes welded to it to facilitate ease of use for the nut doing all this :D I also know that somewhere I have an old ball head for a camera, but I simply cant find it. I used two "L" brackets to mimic the motion of that item, though the bottom bracket should be longer. I drilled out a piece of plastic for the camera to sit on; it's screwed into the bracket on the side. The camera is a Canon T3 (1100D) with the stock 18-55mm lens.

Pictures might be easier. I built the mount as well; that's about 5 years ago now. It all rides on bearings, both the alt and az movements can be locked into place, and no tools required to take it apart/put it together.
IMG_20200221_214118216_s.jpg
IMG_4382.jpg

Tonight was supposed to be crystal clear, blah, blah; yeah well, that really didn't work out for me. Kinda soupy, temperature was a balmy 23F (-5C), and it was somewhat windy to boot. This should be fun. I was tempted to not bother, but everything was upstairs, I had winter clothes on, then my wife started asking questions about what I was doing, so I figured time to go outside and brave those elements :lol:

I could see the Orion constellation, and could barely make out the Pleiades. I focused the camera on Rigel as best I could at ISO 3200, and mounted the camera to the tracker, hoping the camera lens would keep focus.
We all know how that's gonna work out... :lol:

Next, I got Polaris lined up through the two holes in the half a hinge I use for that. It was really a lot easier than I though it would be. I then turned the camera in the direction of the Pleiades. Now I was all set.

Except for one thing. The clock I was going to use, which makes a fairly audible "tic" sound every second, is in the shed, which is locked. The keys are on the kitchen table. Inside. My wife is there too, probably with even more questions. Ah, crap.
Well, there's always plan B!!

I hold the remote shutter with one hand, one of my gloved fingers on the tip of a bicycle spoke with the other hand, and start saying to myself,"One mississippi, two mississippi......", turning the spoke a notch at the end of every mississippi :lol:

I took 10 shots of that, ranging from 10 to 30 seconds. Next I turned to the Orion constellation and had a go at that; five pictures from 10 to 15 seconds of exposure.

Well, enough of this, It's not getting any clearer or warmer out here. I pick up the whole mess and carry it in. Oh, there's my wife; quelle suprise. She means so well, but really all I want to do is go downstairs and see if this worked. Yes dear, no dear, don't know if they came out yet dear, going downstairs now dear, bye dear.... :lol:

Ok. The focus is off, the sensor/lens needs a cleaning (again!), the LP is rampant, skies are crap, lens flare, I could go on. But, the tracker does indeed work! This is a 30 second exposure of what is supposed to be the Pleiades (they're there just below the center of the picture). The stars are round; the trees are blurry from the wind and the motion of the tracker. If the focus was better, as well as my method, this might be worth doing at a darker site. Sitting, with an audible clock nearby in warmer temps would be a good start to a better method. Standing and shivering isn't the best way to go...
IMG_4370 (2).jpg

And 15 seconds of Orion:
IMG_4378 (2).jpg

I was going to go back out and try it again with better focus and my clock, but by the time I got upstairs, it was even "soupier" out, and no warmer. My long term forecast isn't looking good, but the next time it is, I might take all this with a laptop for focusing to a park I know of near lake Ontario. Maybe I can get me some Messiers :D

And that's it for my ramble; I wish you all the best and clear skies!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: By jove, it works!

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Always interesting to see you do your mad scientist creations Mark :D
Good that it actually works for you.
Have fun!
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Mark,

I love this kind of stuff! Necessity truly is the mother of invention. Also, I would present you with the Rube Goldberg award for the month (if we had one).

A wonderful project from you!

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Nice build and some very nice results - good to see it is working for you (at last!), Mark.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Glad it's working Mark. Very creative.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:45 am Always interesting to see you do your mad scientist creations Mark :D
Good that it actually works for you.
Have fun!
Thanks Gabby, but I have to give Gary Seronik credit for this one... I'm just the behind the welding helmet following instructions :lol:
Hope all is good and have a great night!
JayTee wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:57 am Hi Mark,

I love this kind of stuff! Necessity truly is the mother of invention. Also, I would present you with the Rube Goldberg award for the month (if we had one).

A wonderful project from you!

Cheers,
JT
Thanks JT; Ruth Goldberg award :lol: Yeah, slight overkill for sure...
I was looking at your wedge the other day, now that is a nice piece of work! I wish I had more talents with woodworking; it just lends a nice touch to anything like that :D
Thanks again!

bobharmony wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:10 pm Nice build and some very nice results - good to see it is working for you (at last!), Mark.

Bob
Thanks Bob, I do remember it was fun to make, stick welder and all, and now I remeber why I "abandoned" it; I bought my C80-HD on its CG4 :D
At last :lol: yup, no kidding! Maybe I'll even clean the rust off and paint it...
Have a great night!

helicon wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:17 pm Glad it's working Mark. Very creative.
Thanks Michael, but again, Gary Seronik... I figured this would be the best one to make from the vast "selection" of single and double-arm trackers. It's good for longer than I'll probably need to ever track for. For the price of my time and a couple of welding rods, I'm happy with the results :D

I went out again tonight as there was a brief window between 7 and 8. Not much of one; much like last night just warmer with no wind.
This time I brought some painters tape with me. I focused the camera lens on Venus, and wrapped some tape around the lens and the "fine adjustment" part, whatever it's called... I then adjusted it and snugged down the tape until it didn't move. I mounted it to the tracker, and tried to find the Beehive, as Orion was behind some thick trees. It's so mucky out I could barely see it with 10 X 50's.

I just focused on some "starry" parts of the sky and had a go at it.
I only took 5 shots and realized it was just too crappy out.

These are at ISO 800 and 30 seconds exposure each. The first is the "feet" of Gemini, and the second, well, Procyon is just behind the roof where you can't see it :lol: but that might give some bearing.

IMG_4513.jpg
IMG_4512.jpg

Not much to see, but the focus is good, as well as the tracking.
One day, when it clears up.....:D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Hi Mark

I appreciate your inventiveness.

I don't mean to highjack this or change the topic but could you please direct me to the pages on your site wherein you constructed a fast finder scope out of a Towa scope? It had click variable powers, 30x, 45x etc...as you pull out on the eyepiece.

I have a 40mm Towa (click power) version and want to find the focal length, gut the fancy click stop setup and convert to a widefield finder scope and modify to take 1.25" EPs.

Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Bonjour mon chum, nice to hear from you! No, hijacking this thread? Not at all.

Well, I'll try and keep it short. I have no info on that other than I made it work...??? Sorry, I really didn't keep any records of that, though mabye I should have. OK, I'm familiar with your scope. If you've already taken the focuser apart, you've already seen this:
IMG_7111.JPG
So what I did was gut the stuff on the bottom, and keep the focuser body as pictured on top. Then, I taped the objective with the cell to an 18" wood ruler, measued how far the tube would screw in, and based the placement of the cell on that, ie it was on an "inch" mark. Then, with the gutted focuser modified to take 1.25: parts, I adjusted the focuser until it was at the halfway in/out point, put in a low power lens (25mm for me), and slid the focuser up and down the ruler until it, well, found focus on a cell tower about a mile distant :lol:

I then cut the tube to the appropriate length (cut on the focuser end!), drilled the holes for said focuser, and bada-bing, bada-boom. A widefield 60mm that comes to focus with a DSLR and any lens I own :D

Now, I have two of these; both are made from Tasco (Towa) 55VTE's. There's also the 5VTE; it just doesn't "click" to 90X. It's funny, I tried both the scopes. Said "Arrrgh, matey, it's a drinking-straw view"

The first one, I used the body from the 55VTE, and with some thin pipe inside the focuser, a hoseclamp and the clamp for the cables on a ten-speed, half an old 1.25 barlow (sans lens); it was and still is exceptionally solid. Good R&P focusers on these old Towa's. Still, it had a bit of vignetting for a 60mm, though compared to what it was... :lol:

The second I used the entire body from a Celestron 60mm Astromaster. The objective from the tasco fit perfect, and the stock focuser is great!

The scope I built these from (1 of 2):

Image1.jpg

The one with the stock Tasco body:

DSCF6948.JPG

And the one with the Celestron body.

IMG_2594.JPG
Image2.jpg

Both are f/7. For what you want to do, I'd have to figure the first option is what you want, as I don't know of any current 40mm scopes you could put the objective into. I'm guessing you want it for a guide scope for the SV 70mm??

Anyways, it's coming up to 1AM here, tomorrow comes early. I can take the scope apart if you need measurement, or PM me. I have Wednesday off, TG!!!

All the best to you and yours mon ami :D
Mark

Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Thanks Mark! What a tome. :text-thankyouyellow: This is exciting.

I will proceed with the gutting of the tubes and glass on the focusser side. I do want to make a guide scope... the Towa focuser and the objective are so good.

Great info - I just read it again! :lol: You really have skills.
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey Ian, uhhh.... skills? :lol: Nah, just further proof that small things amuse small minds, at least in my case ;)

Regardless, I just took a look and made a discovery I had forgotten about. I actually have three of these things; the two I made from the 55VTE's, and one I made from a 5VTE. Same scope and objective, just the 5VTE only went to 60X.

So the only one I use currently is the one I made with the Celestron body. The other two have been in a box, covid and dust free for going on two years now... If you want, I will happily send you one. I've included a picture of both from some time ago; why they're on a piece of fence board escapes my memory. I still have your address as well; the cat plays hide and go sleep in your shipping box every day. And I've really got to get to that rocker mount...!!

IMG_7988.JPG

And the white-tube one in now flat black.
Anyways, lemme know, and it can be in the mail this week :D

All the best mon chum,
Mark

Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Hi Mark! Wow, that is super kind of you ... I would love one of your scopes!! :sprefac:

Send me a pm here or try idixon@sbrc.ca

Thanks Mark, you made my week. :text-thankyoublue: :D

<<imagine: man dancing around in his office>>

Salut
Ian

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Kanadalainen wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:48 pm
<<imagine: man dancing around in his office>>
:lol: Yeah, that is an image; best laugh I've had all day!! I just got in, so I'm going to have dinner, make sure the girls aren't at war, etc, and I'll get back to you in two hours or so; around 6PM for you :D

TTYS,
Mark

Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Mark

I tried to pm you but you may have your message receipt turned off... couldn't add your contact to the pm. Let me know -> perhaps its on my side.

Ian
Ian