Barn door tracker?

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Barn door tracker?

Post by maceemiller »

:(

I've got a PSU that runs perfectly yet I'm struggling with the gears...

The motors I have from the printer simply spin too fast for me and my limited knowledge to slow down to 1 RPM....

Have to look for a much slower motor I think....
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Your stepper motor doesn't look like any stepper I've seen. It only seems to have two wires. So I searched on "motor C9050-60003" and found this :-

http://www.primelec.com/hp-printer-dc-m ... kC2G2QzaiY

HP C9050-60003 Printer DC Motor 1020275

This is an HP printer DC motor. It's part numbers are C9050-60003 and 1020275. It comes exactly as pictured without any additional parts or accessories. Specifications Manufacturer:
www.primelec.com

It is a DC brush motor not a stepper motor. DC brush motors have two wires and commonly turn at 1000 rpm per volt. So if you are using it at 9V and if it is a DC motor, you'll need a gear reduction of many thousands to one.

A "28BYJ-48" stepper motor with integral 64:1 front end gear box will cost <$1
https://tinyurl.com/tant2qn

These little motors have ample torque for your application. The motor is 64 steps per rev 5.625 deg and the gearbox is 64:1. At the gearbox output shaft, each step is about 300 arc sec. The reduction for your threaded rod will more than compensate. You don't state what thread you are using. Looks like you are using a radius of 171mm. I assumed it's a 1/4" BSW thread. if so, you'll need a clock speed to drive the stepper motor of about 40 Hz.

What is the stepper motor controller you are using? I've never seen one of those. Can you post the part name number and manufacturer?

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

OzEclipse wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:04 am Your stepper motor doesn't look like any stepper I've seen. It only seems to have two wires. So I searched on "motor C9050-60003" and found this :-

http://www.primelec.com/hp-printer-dc-m ... kC2G2QzaiY

HP C9050-60003 Printer DC Motor 1020275

This is an HP printer DC motor. It's part numbers are C9050-60003 and 1020275. It comes exactly as pictured without any additional parts or accessories. Specifications Manufacturer:
www.primelec.com

It is a DC brush motor not a stepper motor. DC brush motors have two wires and commonly turn at 1000 rpm per volt. So if you are using it at 9V and if it is a DC motor, you'll need a gear reduction of many thousands to one.

A "28BYJ-48" stepper motor with integral 64:1 front end gear box will cost <$1
https://tinyurl.com/tant2qn

These little motors have ample torque for your application. The motor is 64 steps per rev 5.625 deg and the gearbox is 64:1. At the gearbox output shaft, each step is about 300 arc sec. The reduction for your threaded rod will more than compensate. You don't state what thread you are using. Looks like you are using a radius of 171mm. I assumed it's a 1/4" BSW thread. if so, you'll need a clock speed to drive the stepper motor of about 40 Hz.

What is the stepper motor controller you are using? I've never seen one of those. Can you post the part name number and manufacturer?

Joe
Hi there.....apologies for the delayed reply...real life caught up with me!

I've now got a new motor to use, a 3.3RPM synchronous motor which I'm going to gear down to 1RPM...

...when I find the right gears!
20200304_212050.jpg