DIY stuff and getting ready...

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
man1
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

DIY stuff and getting ready...

Post by man1 »

Finally I got my Telescope last Friday and I have been busy doing some of the DIY stuff that I wanted to do. What better way to learn how to collimate than by removing the complete spider....LOL. I installed the Flocking board that I had ordered and darkened the back of the mirror and my Fosuser tube. Doing the Focuser tube was also a combination...since I had to remove it anyway to install my dual speed add-on. Works like a charm! At the same time while all was apart I marked the tube center on the Flocking board with a dot. I finished wiring some of my heaters at least all the major once, the toughest part was sewing all the seems by hand. I tested them and all work great. Then I drilled and installed the lid of a 5 gallon bucket as my fan support using Velcro to hold all in place. I installed my camera and installed all the software to my w10 laptop. I will have to make a laptop stand yet... something that mounts to the telescope base and turns along with it. I am not sure if I will turn the AZ base from the laptop or if I make a separate manual left-right type of button setup. Moving the base (AZ) I don't care for an optical or magnetic encoder since I have no need to track or to go back to a certain AZ point. All I want is a super smooth rotation.

Yesterday it started raining...and still raining today..... All I was able to do was align my guiding equipment from the deck since there is a roof over it.... there was Corn and Soybeans as far as the eye looked...LOL.... no neighbors!

All is clear as mud...LOL, but I am still not sure what to do at -20C with the scope..... food being grown all around. There are lots of mice and I don't want to leave my stuff in the garage or shed. If I bring it in the house, what then... I heat with wood and the house is at a steady +20C. Any ideas.... It was so much easier having used my binoculars and my target spotting scope for so many years.... but to be able to see more detail - will be a thrill..!!!!!

Cheers, man1
Orion XT10i custom, Orion GiantView BT-70, Bushnell Natureview 20-60x65, Barska 25-125x80
SkySafari6 Pro & 7 Pro, SkyFi 3, ASI290MC, T7C
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: DIY stuff and getting ready...

Post by bladekeeper »

Just set the scope out about an hour, hour and a half, prior to observing time to allow the primary mirror time to acclimate during cold weather. Leave the tube uncapped so the warmer air inside can escape to reduce tube currents. You'll know when you have tube currents. A defocused star will appear like a nest of writhing snakes. :D

Nice mods!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Good luck with the first viewing session :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
man1
Moon Ambassador

Post by man1 »

bladekeeper wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:49 am Just set the scope out about an hour, hour and a half, prior to observing time to allow the primary mirror time to acclimate during cold weather. Leave the tube uncapped so the warmer air inside can escape to reduce tube currents. You'll know when you have tube currents. A defocused star will appear like a nest of writhing snakes. :D

Nice mods!
Thanks for your advice to give enough time to let the mirrors cool down enough. I am planing to run the fan all the time and just vary the fan speed as needed. Now..., you are very experienced what do you recommend when I bring the scope back into the heated basement. My winters are average -20C outside and +20C inside. I am curious... I heard some folks stand their telescope on end primary up, some say horizontal so that the moisture runs of the mirrors. I was even thinking putting a removable felt liner on the outside of the big tube. Your advice would be very much appreciated...

btw.: I really liked your moon pictures that you posted. Awesome pictures, - you have a very nice telescope setup! I was googling to see what your scope looks like - very cool!

Cheers, man1
Orion XT10i custom, Orion GiantView BT-70, Bushnell Natureview 20-60x65, Barska 25-125x80
man1
Moon Ambassador

Post by man1 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:45 am Good luck with the first viewing session :)
Thanks.... Today it is still raining and I have to wait a bit longer. Funny everyone told me, the weather will not be good as soon as I get the scope..... ;-)

Cheers,man1
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

man1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:27 amThanks for your advice to give enough time to let the mirrors cool down enough. I am planing to run the fan all the time and just vary the fan speed as needed. Now..., you are very experienced what do you recommend when I bring the scope back into the heated basement. My winters are average -20C outside and +20C inside. I am curious... I heard some folks stand their telescope on end primary up, some say horizontal so that the moisture runs of the mirrors. I was even thinking putting a removable felt liner on the outside of the big tube. Your advice would be very much appreciated...

btw.: I really liked your moon pictures that you posted. Awesome pictures, - you have a very nice telescope setup! I was googling to see what your scope looks like - very cool!

Cheers, man1
I store my dobsonian OTA on its base and typically park it at around a 45° angle or so. When I stored it inside a warm house, I typically had the dust cap and focuser dust plug installed prior to bring it inside. With the open mirror-end of the scope, condensation still forms. Usually removing the dust cover for a while would allow the glass to clear nicely as the mirror warmed, then I'd replace the dust cover.

I'd be inclined to store the scope horizontal and on the base. My buddy John has a rack in his garage where he stores his OTAs in padded and zippered bags.

I would be leary of storing the OTA with the mirror end up in a standing position. That is the by far the heaviest end of the scope and would be easily knocked over inadvertently. That just scares me. :)

Thanks for the kind words on the lunar images! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100