Dylan O'Donnell Designs a Mount

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
seer
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

Dylan O'Donnell Designs a Mount

Post by seer »

Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Dylan O'Donnell Designs a Mount

Post by Star Dad »

I was kind of astonished when I got my "state-of-the-art" mount and I had to learn everything the hard way. I have a friend who has done almost all of his wish list. Not sure about the automatic leveling. He uses a Raspberry Pi on the mount, no laptop required.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

To me, learning all of those extra things was/ is part of the fun.
What do you actually accomplish or learn by setting the mount up and pressing one button?
Ease of use +1, expanding your knowledge 0.

The Vixen Starbook 10 with Advanced Unit stores all the images on SD card so there is no computer required.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Lola Bruce United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by Lola Bruce »

Sorry I can't buy into this one. For visual and visual only I can agree with a little less than half. For astrophotograpy I just can't buy into hands off automation of complete setup, run, and tear-down.. The extreme accuracy in tracking, nuances of determining exposures, filters, flats, lights, etc... demand a different approach. Integrity, tracking, rigidity, reliability, and ease of use are so much more important. When contemplating attributes to incorporate into a mount if you start with a modest load then add the attributes that say an AstroPhysics mount has and on top of that all the high precision automation you have a monster. First if it truly does it all extremely well it will be astronomically expensive. The mount would be ridiculously complex and heavy if designed for critical astrophotography while totally automated for setup and tear-down each session. As a designer fabricator I can see a mount like this easily retailing for north of $250,000 in a limited production run of say ten units to hold a load of about a 140mm refractor and gear. Compare a new Mach 2 all in might be $9000 and with an experienced human helper it will do every bit as well for so much less.

Bruce
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

This is about expensive stuff that I will probably never have. I have to use the cheapest EQ but I'm telling you that even it is in bad need of a make over and upgrade.
Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Me either. To me it’s kind of like dummying down. Heck, if it were that easy, everyone would be doing it and everyone would be getting great images. Do you want to catch fish every time you go? No, there has to be challenges or it would be too easy to be fun.

Gabby is right. Half of the fun and challenges are figuring out how things work on your own. I remember the first night that I successfully drift aligned. I don’t think that I imaged anything, I just accomplished a successful drift align and was thrilled.

I have had many nights like that where simply learning or figuring out a technique was a thrilling adventure.

We have pretty decent equipment out there at very reasonable prices that can allow someone that puts in the time, effort, and frustration (and with a little luck) to accomplish amateur astrophotographs that were impossible a few short years ago.

On the other side, I really like Dylan and watch his YouTube channel. One day soon, there will be a mount like he described and it will eventually be affordable. Just how technology moves.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

Are We Not Men? We Are Devo!

The topic of devolution does seem to come up a lot.
Donald
dghent
SME

Post by dghent »

I guess one could take the machismo approach and polar align your scope uphill both ways in the winter with an onion on your belt, but there is a point where practicality demands a better solution.

For example, I'm a mobile imager, both at home and anywhere I can image. At home, there are only 2 places, both in my front yard, which offer a passable opening through the tree canopy to photograph objects that pass east to west at zenith. As much as I'd love a permanent setup that's out of sight from the road, it's just not practical without a tree cutting expense that's well into 5 figures as well as cooperative neighbors. If what I want to image does not pass through the opening I have, I must drive somewhere else. And I must set all this up with ample enough time to drift align, because the NCP is blocked by trees; one of them a 120 year old Willow Oak.

So when I set up to image, I'm not doing it to relive some nostalgic ritual of carefully hand-aligning my telescope and thinking I'm a better man because of it. I've done all that, a zillion and one times, with more mounts and polar scope types than I care to enumerate. Rather, I'm setting up to start putting photons to silicon, and anything which shortens my path to that is massive positive in my book.
Scopes: Astro-Physics 130GTX (w/ FocusBoss), CFF 92mm f/6, Telescop-Service 130mm f/7, Orion XT10i dob (Protostar flocking, Moonlite focuser retrofitted)
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach1GTO, Rainbow Astro RST-135, Fornax LighTrack II
Solar: DayStar Quantum, Quarks: H-alpha Chrom+Prom, Ca-H, Mg I-B2, Baader Herschel Wedge
Cameras: QHY294C, ZWO ASI1600MM, ASI174MM, ASI290MC, ASI290MM-Mini
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCap Pro, TheSkyX, AS3!, PixInsight, ASTAP