3D printing

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

3D printing

Post by mcolbert »

this is to gauge the use of 3D printers. Do we have any users amongst us? What machines are used, what are advantages and disadvantages?
How is the technology developing? These days we are reading about machines that are not simply using plastics but other materials as well - how
might this be beneficial for ATMers? I know that whilst I like the idea of creating parts for the instruments I have or plan to purchase, the idea of
plastic leaves me cold in most applications.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Cameras - Blads, D70s, D3300, Lunar and Planetary Cameras (2)
DIY Glass - German military and opthalmic sourced items, AGFA AVIPHOT DIA C
a100171 United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: 3D printing

Post by a100171 »

Plastics can be used very effectively, and they are not all the same. There is a member ('Dr Benway" ) over at CN who makes all sorts of parts, e.g. telrad bases/adapters, 2-way Vixen dovetail adapters, etc.

I still have a boxed one in the basement that I have been meaning to setup. It is one of those Creality Ender 3D units, capable of printing a 8-in cube.

I can imagine that metals are not too far down the road. But...I was also supposed to have Jet-Packs and Hover-Cars by now.
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron , AVX, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. A fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400.