Installing a new dovetail base for finderscope

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
seer
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

Installing a new dovetail base for finderscope

Post by seer »

I plan on installing a dovetail base for a finderscope on my Meade 114mm Polaris EQ Reflector today. Last night I dug out the tools that I think I'll need. About A week ago I went to the hardware store and got some screws and lock nuts. Long ago I bought 2 dovetail bases. One came with mounting hardware and one did not but the one that did its nuts were just plain nuts. I will blacken the lock nuts with a permanent marker.
Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Re: Installing a new dovetail base for finderscope

Post by seer »

DSCN1413.JPG
I already started. This is what I removed. Took less tools than I thought. I had to dig up the right size allen wrench which I'm surprised I was able to do then didn't need it. You can see the mounting hardware that it came with which I removed.
Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

DSCN1414.JPG
This is what I am going to try an install.
Donald
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

DSCN1415.JPG
Here it is installed. I tried not to bump the secondary mirror. I hope and think that I did get the threads into some nylon. I think it pretty secure. I wasn't sure what side the knobs should go on so I went and looked how Explore Scientific's are situated.
Donald
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

DSCN1416.JPG
I placed the finderscope in it that I plan on using. Seems to fit OK.
Soooooo my concern now is the protrusion of the lock nuts. Will they enter into the line of sight? I will find out when I take it out and align and sight it in. I don't want to do that until the kids go back to school here which isn't until next Monday :(
Donald
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

I looked in the OTA and seen some screws from other thing sticking in further then the lock nuts do and I looked thru the eyepiece hole and could not see the nuts in anything.
Donald
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Any bolt/ screw/ nuts inside the tube can be blackened with a sharpie or a touch of paint just make sure there is no light scatter from them.
The install looks good :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:52 pm Any bolt/ screw/ nuts inside the tube can be blackened with a sharpie or a touch of paint just make sure there is no light scatter from them.
The install looks good :)
That is what I did do. I used a black permanent marker not only on the lock nuts but also on the ends of the screws.
Donald
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Nice job! I used a BBQ flat black paint purchased at Home Depot when I blackened the back of the secondary and the vane bolts, etc in my XT10.
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Seer,

I mentioned bbq black paint, but this is the best flat black I could find for ATM blackening. Its really good.

Ian
Attachments
IMG_5884.JPG
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Nice work, Donald!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

I think today I'm going to put the telescope together in my living room and work on getting the cradle rings placed right and things balanced. I would like to take it outside and get things aligned and sighted in but it still looks gloomy and just a little while ago there was some shady goings on with some people right outside my apartment.
Donald
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

DSCN1417.JPG
I had to add the counterweight from my other telescope to get it to balance. I was also trying to figure the best position for the declination fine adjustment cable knob. I think it would be best as in the photo but I seem to remember that either the DEC or RA has a built in stop and I can't remember which and where it would come into play. I don't think that it shows up when they are unlocked but it does when using slow mo control knob.
Donald
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

DSCN1418.JPG
MY DECLINATION FINE ADJUSTMENT CONTROL JUST CAME APART!
I think this may be a good thing for now I will learn exactly how it works.
When the declination is locked down the fine control works off of a fixed plate with the slow motion adjustment screw being on one side of the fixed plate and a spring piston pushing against the other. It looks like even at its max setting you only get very limited motion (not 360 like with Right Ascension). Declination isn't what you track with anyway. Fine adjustment Declination is just for pinpointing once you are already there. Now I have to figure out the nuances and if or how it will get in my way.
Donald
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

DSCN1419.JPG
A = Slow motion cable knob
B = Slow motion screw
C = Sleeve
D = Set plate base
E = Piston
F = Spring
G = Spring tension & play amount bolt

It has been all go here. The set screw for the slow motion cable came out and fell on the floor after ricocheting off of a tripod leg. I didn't think I was going to find it but I did.
I had to figure out the best setting and how to achieve them. Things like at rest / storage you want the least compression on the spring but when used you want full functioning play. This declination slow motion only gives you 5 degrees of motion. That is only about 3 full turns of the slow motion control cable knob.
Donald
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

Ya know the Instruction Manual says nothing about this stuff :x
There are all kind of astronomy awards give out but I don't think there is any for being able to pilot a telescope correctly. There should be like a set of wings like aircraft pilots get. There would have to be some proper instruction set up first and I don't think there is any.
Donald
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Looks very good Donald.
I hope you can get out under a clear sky soon.
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

Don Quixote wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:23 pm Looks very good Donald.
I hope you can get out under a clear sky soon.
WOW, Mark! You look different.
Thanks. I want to take it out during the day to align and sight in first and that wont be until at least Monday when the kids start back to school.
Later tonight might be good and tomorrow is suppose to be great for viewing but I will have to use something else.
Donald
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

I just came back in. I was outside aligning and sighting this telescope in. It took about 20 minutes.
The thing is, is that I can't do like most of you do with sighting it in and leaving it sit until used at night. I reside in a very bad place were something like this can not be left outside. I have to assemble and disassemble it with each use. I sighted it in then disassembled it and bought it back inside. I can only hope that the sighting in alignment stays true through taking it back out and putting it back together.
Donald