Fitting Baader Steeltrack-skywatcher 200PDS

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
UkDave Great Britain
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Fitting Baader Steeltrack-skywatcher 200PDS

Post by UkDave »

So my Xmas treat was to upgrade the stock focuser on my 200 PDS Newtonian to a Baader Steeltrack highly regarded as a solid focuser , so yesterday I stripped the old focuser out , now marking the new holes was a pain that could have been easily remedied if baader had supplied a paper template rather than taking the focus shaft off the base as instructed by baader , note once holes drilled in ota remember to refit shaft to base as some of the grub screws are inaccessible once verabase bolted to ota , ask me how I know 😆, now there is a bit of allowance the length of travel on the base so you can slide focuser up and down tube to centre on secondary , I also elongated holes the opposite direction so I could manipulate focuser up down and left to right once focuser bolted down , now this is the bit with baader I don’t understand, due to the base design this allows light leakage under the plate into the ota which was quickly remedied by cutting two strips of foam that housed the focuser in packaging box and glued to underside of base blocking light , now for collimation , I inserted my concentre eyepiece which is the best so I’m told instrument for centring secondary now I have had it a year and wasn’t impressed never could get it looking right then I stumbled on a thread here on SGL which showed a picture and I thought mine never looks like that all centred perfect also noted a chap put check your focuser is 90 degrees to tube hmmm 🤔 so I looked at the front of ota low and behold I could see the focuser was not sitting square , so I aligned a metal ruler with spider vanes and it was clear focuser was on the wonk , now badder supply 4 shims , so I put 2 shims on one side of base and 1 shim on the other side and that did the trick now I tightened the four bolts down on base whilst looking down concentre making sure bolts were evenly tightened , now looking down the concentre the secondary looked as it should and probably the old focuser was tilted too and why I wasn’t sure on the concentre eyepiece, primary aligned to secondary, primary clips all looking equal

laser hitting polo whilst slowly turning laser , polo in centre of concentre eyepiece/ coli cap and Cheshire just to check my collimation OCD , now all I need is the bracket to fit my autofocuser to the Steeltrack which Pavle at Deepskydad is sending me then will do a star test and see how it turns out but I’m pretty optimistic that all will be good ,the only negatives with the steeltrack are to do with the base ,there are four holes which are supposed to fit your old focuser holes , they don’t not on a 200pds they would be better doing away with these and supply a paper template, I used flocking material to block these holes up and baader should supply a foam strip to block the underside of base other that a good focuser .

note I did find a site with a 3D printed spacer that fits under the verabase which looks a neat soloution pity baader never thought of that https://en.rbfocus.net/product-page/ada ... steeltrack
Attachments
16BD1784-1C4E-46C6-AFDE-7DF83AD9B71C.jpeg
F4B6893D-68AE-46FB-A323-3B40117AD2B3.jpeg
08C12594-5351-4084-85E6-FDB60F4FC786.jpeg
F836582A-61F5-4777-9327-8E84CE5AA9C3.jpeg
9B55D557-E5BC-426F-8826-7D65604B6D37.jpeg
5501F331-7994-4629-A861-88C0C1A47F2B.jpeg
05E536EF-D592-43C0-A220-916D7E0066C9.jpeg