Junk bin "Planet Killer" zoom

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
Lokifish
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Lokifish »

About a year ago I purchased a tiny little zoom monocular for my daughter. It was a fun little "do what you want with it" tool to get her familiar with optics and astronomy. Well a 4yo can be rough on pretty much anything so it was short lived. The prism was shot, the primary objective was scratched up, but the zoom eyepiece was okay. So in the junk bin it went.

Fast forward to this year and planet fever struck again. I have Barlows and eyepieces down to 7mm, but a ton of optics just to see Jupiter and so on was off putting for me. Then I remembered the junk bin zoom. I mounted it in a spare 1.25" tube, made sure it was well seated, and gave it a go. End result, a tiny 1-7mm zoom with a 15mm eye relief. It has ghosting bright targets, it's not the sharpest eyepiece, and has the typical narrow AFOV found in zoom eyepieces. However, I'm watching an AFOV filling Io shadow transit tonight with this zoom on a 130 f/5 Newt. Yeah, a Galilean Moon shadow transit with a short Newt and a $20 eyepiece salvage with decent eye relief.

The zoom eyepiece from a cheap QANLIIY 10-100x21
A spare 1.25" tube
Some tape for centering and fitting
Some Gorilla Glue to make it stays together
Russ
A.K.A "Backyard Observatory" on Facebook and Youtube

Meade SN8 w/ DIY coma corrector, Astro Modded Rubinar 1000/10 @f/5.2, 130/5 Newtonian, Pentax SMC 200/4, Canon SH 30/1.7
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro, Modified Celestron SLT
183 OSC, 224 OSC, Canon 1100D, Sony NEX-3
Nikon 7-12 zoom, a lot of DIY/salvage eyepieces
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Junk bin "Planet Killer" zoom

Post by mcolbert »

so that's what the offspring of an amateur astronomer is for - to provide the contents of a junk bin. ;0. Mine haven't been able to pull that one off yet, ;)
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Cameras - Blads, D70s, D3300, Lunar and Planetary Cameras (2)
DIY Glass - German military and opthalmic sourced items, AGFA AVIPHOT DIA C