Creative DIY

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
drock
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Creative DIY

Post by drock »

Shower caps work very well for covering both ends of a dobsonian.
Z10 Dobsonian, Starblast 4.5, a few Russell 2" Konigs, and various other eyepieces.
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

I do not know how this is going to work out yet, once I have tried it, I will report back.

The Wixey clinometer is WAY too bright. It's difficult to use in my yard, and I would not dare to take it to a start party/dark sky site (if I ever make it to one or the other).

I bought a silicon car cell phone mount, I can stick it to the telescope, and plan on using the iPhone level app - turn my screen to red, and the brightness way down. This will be much easier when I have an new iPad as currently the iPhone would be serving double duty of level and SkySafari. Unless I decide to start bringing the laptop out to observe too... :Think:

Its not "perfect" - when the level app is in a horizontal position, at 0*, moving it to vertical, at about 60* it turns into negative numbers - so a little head math is needed: 90 - [The number] to get the degree location. And in reverse, it will start at 0 at 90* of the sky, so again - more math. But its do-able.

I will report back. (Not any time in the next few days - I have way too much going on through Monday!)
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

KingNothing13 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:01 pm I do not know how this is going to work out yet, once I have tried it, I will report back.

The Wixey clinometer is WAY too bright. It's difficult to use in my yard, and I would not dare to take it to a start party/dark sky site (if I ever make it to one or the other).

I bought a silicon car cell phone mount, I can stick it to the telescope, and plan on using the iPhone level app - turn my screen to red, and the brightness way down. This will be much easier when I have an new iPad as currently the iPhone would be serving double duty of level and SkySafari. Unless I decide to start bringing the laptop out to observe too... :Think:

Its not "perfect" - when the level app is in a horizontal position, at 0*, moving it to vertical, at about 60* it turns into negative numbers - so a little head math is needed: 90 - [The number] to get the degree location. And in reverse, it will start at 0 at 90* of the sky, so again - more math. But its do-able.

I will report back. (Not any time in the next few days - I have way too much going on through Monday!)
Check the app store as well. Angle Pro and Clinometer + bubble level are a couple of fun apps, though the second one will cost you three bucks. There are several others that may help you avoid the head math. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

It's too bad that Skeye is not available for iOS and there is no equivalent that I'm aware of. It is fun to use on my Dob as a "push to" aid (which is what it was designed for).

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

When I was using a Wixey, I covered the display with a few layers of red taillight repair tape. I think it was around $5 for a roll and I still have a lot left. Haven't used it since I added encoders to my mount though.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Something that might save a few $$$ for those older scopes, trying to get them from .965 to at least some decent 1.25 parts and pieces...

Back in early 2018, I bought this for $80; a buck a millimeter. A late '70's Jason made by Towa. Doing some research, I found that this model was supposedly A) soft on focus, B) had plastic focuser knobs, and C) the major beef, was the .965 diagonal/lenses it came with.

Well, let's try to fix that. An 80mm at f/15 deserves some TLC and hope... The plastic focuser knobs seem to be fine; the focuser itself is a very smooth R&P. No problems there.
001.JPG

Yup, all that achromatic correction, only to focus into this little poopy diagonal and all it's associated lenses...! Probably why a lot of the were "soft on focus".
003.JPG

In doing some measurements, I found that the OD of the drawtube on the Jason was exactly the same OD as a typical 1.25 lens, diagonal, etc. I know what I want to do, but I don't have a machine shop here. However, in thinking about it and looking around for "use whatcha got" I came up with this:
5.jpg
6.JPG

Some hose clamps and a bit of 2mm plastic from a winter "crazy carpet"; it's probably a Canuck thing :D Though you could use plastic from a yogurt or margarine container, etc....

I've had this in here for over a year now; it was the diagonal that came with my orange-tube C80. The views? This free mod turned that f/15 Jason from a barely usable scope with the .965 parts to a double star/planet killer. Seriously, for the few views I've had this year, this scope is top of the list.
7.jpg

Also, that same idea can be used in reverse. I have an old 60mm Towa-made Sears f/11.4 that I put on a "period" CG2. It was the mount that had my 4.5" Tasco on it, which went to a Dob mount. The original mount for the 60mm was pooched, so I made a clamshell for it (another post, maybe) and used some of that 2mm plastic to "fill in" between the .965" drawtube and the 1.25" diagonal.
8.png

And as an added bonus for you to do this ; as I was using this modification for the first time last year, my daughter came out, asked me how it was working, and then took a picture as I was being blown away at the detail and clarity of the views :D
So much for my night vision....!!
me.png
And also, So much grey hair..... :lol:

Thank you again, mcolbert, for starting this thread :P

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

NikkiT wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:47 pm Hi, Not very high tech but to get the ball rolling.
A few months ago I bought a yoga mat for just a few pounds.
So far I have used it to make a dew shield and a non-slip cover for my camping/observing table.
And there is still plenty left!

:text-thankyouyellow:

Yoga matting would make a good nonslip base under a glass blank when grinding or polishing I think.
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Lokifish
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Lokifish »

It's more PVC than glass. A DIY 2" wide field EP. Works out to about a 45mm focal length with 65 degree FOV.
Primary objectives from dead 7x35 binos, objectives from old dead finders, a random plano convex, PVC, foam, glue, misc. parts.
DIY wide.jpg
Russ
A.K.A "Backyard Observatory" on Facebook and Youtube

Meade SN8 w/ DIY coma corrector, Astro Modded Rubinar 1000/10 @f/5.2, 130/5 Newtonian, Pentax SMC 200/4, Canon SH 30/1.7
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro, Modified Celestron SLT
183 OSC, 224 OSC, Canon 1100D, Sony NEX-3
Nikon 7-12 zoom, a lot of DIY/salvage eyepieces