DIY.

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
Steve
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

DIY.

Post by Steve »

Hi every one, I,m thinking of making some tripod suppressing stands to go underneath the legs of the tripod.What,and how, and which materials do I need to get started,tools I have got but have know idea on how to move forward other than a round shape,inwhich the legs of the tripod can firmly sit with some sort of suppression stand.......oh yes I,m accident prone any were near a set up and I end up knocking it over,not much can be done in that respects,but helpful tips,much appreciated.Thank you.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: DIY.

Post by Star Dad »

One of the fellows in my astronomy group make them out of sound dampening foam (kind of like egg containers) and glued them into little heavy duty plastic "caps". You could use something like ketchup bottle caps - the kind that rest on the tops would be just about the right diameter. Simple to make - glue and scissors are all that's needed.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Most folks use a material called Sorbothane as the absorbing medium. Google it, and I'm sure you'll finds lots of sources.:)
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Steve wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:36 pm Hi every one, I,m thinking of making some tripod suppressing stands to go underneath the legs of the tripod.

Hello Steve

Here's a recent thread on the subject you might like:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15258&p=128459&hil ... ng#p128459

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I have a bunch of dense white plastic packing foam sheets. Not styrofoam but springy stuff. I’m going to try some as a replacement for the disintegrating pluck foam in my EP case, but maybe I’ll sandwich a few layers and see if it’s any good for damping.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Steve
Earth Ambassador

Post by Steve »

Thanks guy,s lots of useful information,here.Parkariinen,I do have some packing foam and bubble wrap,keep in touch i would like to know if you were successful.Star dad I have a small collection of plastic milk bottle tops.Graeme thanks I will check it out.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

The thick packing foam pads are way too springy - the pads are worse than no pads. Maybe a single layer - they're about 5mm thick.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s