things that annoy

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

things that annoy

Post by mcolbert »

you have a small project (or a big one) that you're involved in and then, bang, it all comes to a halt, because of any number of reasons - mainly outside of your control.

I thought that I would pose the question of what are the small (or big) irritating things that can and do go wrong in the DIY area? Murphy is, after all, an amateur astronomer. ;)

I'll start with a couple of recent things;

1. trying to remove a lens (see thread) and finally getting some action with the Dremel Versatip. Then it stops working. Checked the inside and all connections seem there, but gas no longer flows as well. So have to chase up a new one. Remembering that we are rural, the local hardware store doesn't have any in stock, the nearest large town has one hardware store from a large chain and they don't stock any Dremel product and so, wanting to support local business I choose to order from the local hardware store. This will take another week for them to receive it. Meanwhile time marches on. ;)

2. another idea was to have an 8" mirror coated for IR use. I found someone who could do the job, we exchanged a couple of emails, then after two more emails, there has been no response. Another couple of weeks down the rain. Now to find another coating service - preferably local within this country, but I wouldn't be surprised if the mirror has to take a trip to the US.

3. a simple thing, an optics test bench, so one would think. But it is now four weeks since I requested a simple quote from the local engineering company. I ring or drop in and keep getting the run around. What can be simpler than a sheet of steel with holes in it????? Each day the surplus bench ( Melles Griot) is looking more and more like a bargain at US$3000!

Fortunately, there are several other things on the go, so it is a matter of bringing them from the back burners and hopefully some small victory over commercial and industrial inertia can be hard fought for and won. :)

So, what might Murphy be doing in your neck of the woods? :)
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Cameras - Blads, D70s, D3300, Lunar and Planetary Cameras (2)
DIY Glass - German military and opthalmic sourced items, AGFA AVIPHOT DIA C
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: things that annoy

Post by Chich »

It isn't Murphy causing the problems over here. Think I must have pissed off a few faeries. I will put a tool down and then spend the next half hour looking for it. Can it be due to getting older? Nah, must be the wee folk.
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

Chich wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:10 am It isn't Murphy causing the problems over here. Think I must have pissed off a few faeries. I will put a tool down and then spend the next half hour looking for it. Can it be due to getting older? Nah, must be the wee folk.
When that happens to me I usually discover I'm sitting on it.
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Perhaps not DIY but hugely annoying when you get setup and discover that you left the red spot finder on last time out and now the battery is flat!
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

I Commend you Mcolbert for shopping local. It is important for sure. For astronomy in OZ we are reduced mostly to mail order simply because the Astronomy shops are just in hopless places.. I was in a motorhome in Brisbane when I bought my Scope and mount. No damn parking for miles. And have you looked where Bintel is in Sydney ! Pffffft grrrrrr..... I have dozens of different size button batteries for 3 different size red dots and cross hairs.... yesterday I had a go at runninng my scope off stellarium and finished up reinstalling it and giving up ... not enough hours in the day... Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Not necessarily astro, but running out of drywall bits for my cordless drill. Or misplacing my one star or square drive bit. Guess I should buy multipacks.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:46 pm Perhaps not DIY but hugely annoying when you get setup and discover that you left the red spot finder on last time out and now the battery is flat!
That's a big one. Happened to me last Saturday getting set up for a big star party. Fortunately I was able to drive to a nearby town and find an open market to get two new AA batteries for the Telrad before it got dark out. I find the Telrad on/off switch particularly susceptible to being left on. Prefer the buttons with a raised fingertip guard that are on my GLP.

I am fortunate in that the Cedar Hardware is a two-minute walk from my house, as every DIY home project requires three trips. And in my winter home, Brenda's ferreteria is a five-minute walk. Nice thing about both places is that you can buy just one or two of a bolt, washer, drill bit, etc, and do not need to get an entire bubble pack or complete set. I am spoiled.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:46 pm Perhaps not DIY but hugely annoying when you get setup and discover that you left the red spot finder on last time out and now the battery is flat!
This is why I always pack spare battery and even spare red dot when I am going on desert trips. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

No matter how many years I've been doing this, there is always a level of excitement when I set up my scope. So much so that fully half the time I first peer into the EP -- the lens cap is still on. I do this time and time again. In this one area, apparently, I'm untrainable!

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

EAGLE 5

Post by EAGLE 5 »

That is the worst. I discovered a dead battery again yesterday. I only got to use it once lol.

I think I am going to wire in a battery lead so that I can run it off a larger cell(s).
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Oh, how about putting together the scope et all, for an AP session, getting perfect polar alignment with the polemaster - which took 30 minutes to assemble because the manufacturer decided NOT to send thumb screws, but uses allen wrench type bolts (I couldn't find those pesky thumb screws and suddenly realized what those two allen wrenches were for), and finally slew to your first target and hear a loud resounding crash! Forgot to put the counter weights on. Foiled Murphy partially - at least the whole mount didn't fall, just OTA hit the mount. Whew! :eek: Fortunately the solid cast iron mirror holder took the brunt of it and no apparent harm done.

Or how about when ASCOM won't communicate with the same mount it's been used on for hundreds of times? You spend an hour trying to figure out what's going wrong, and then remember the old Microbrain mantra - "reboot".

Or - You get a free light pollution meter, use it one time and put it somewhere safe and then can't find it again? (I'm still searching 2 weeks later).

OK, I'm done for now... :tease:
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Star Dad wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:02 pm Or how about when ASCOM won't communicate with the same mount it's been used on for hundreds of times? You spend an hour trying to figure out what's going wrong, and then remember the old Microbrain mantra - "reboot".

Yessssss, technology...

Sometimes I think I should just buy a manual GEM and go back to setting circles. But then you have to polar align, find a bright star near the meridian to set the RA circle, etc. And some people say the the circles on contemporary mounts are too hard to see and you need a red lamp and ...
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Seawolfe
Moon Ambassador

Post by Seawolfe »

I carry spare batteries from AAA to D cells, to a couple of the dime batteries. These come in handy, as I even carry a backup battery for my scope and an inverter to plug into my car if I need to recharge that and my laptop when I'm out for more than a couple of days.
1975 - 1982 - Semper Fi
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Chich wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:10 am It isn't Murphy causing the problems over here. Think I must have pissed off a few faeries. I will put a tool down and then spend the next half hour looking for it. Can it be due to getting older? Nah, must be the wee folk.
They're here, too. A few weeks ago I set a 6-40 tap down on the workbench. When I came back it was gone. A thorough search did not recover it. And I keep a clean shop; there are no piles of clutter for it to be hiding under, so I know that the shop fairy took it just to mess with my mind. And it was the only one of that thread I had so I had to order another.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Not astronomy related but I finally have my motorcycle set the way I wanted it and it is to cold to ride. :(
Wind has the temperatures close to 2°-5°C now.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

You've got a motorcycle Gabrielle? That's pretty cool. I had a Ninja for a few years when I was in my later 20's. A bit too adventurous for me now in my old age (49).
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Figuring out how to make new software play with your stuff. PI ring any bells for anyone? :shock: :lol:
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

When logging into a site, you type your password and it won’t take it, so you try again and no luck. You know it’s the right password!
So you click on reset password, enter the password that you have been trying....
Then you get, Your new password can’t be the same as your old one!
Huh?
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Weather is my number one peve, especially lately where cold fronts come through but it never clears up :(

But by far the one thing that really grinds my gears is spending time to create and program a sequence, get all set up, turn on the laptop and... "WINDOWS IS UPDATING DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER!"
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Old age at 49?? When did that become old? ;)
This is my third motorcycle but is definitely my favorite.
I have a Ducati Monster 821, it just had its first track day a few days ago.
A lot of fun on and off of the track :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt