Another Evening with the C90 Mak (3-30-20)

Let's see your reports!
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Another Evening with the C90 Mak (3-30-20)

Post by terrynak »

Clear evening last night with a 6-day old Moon, so I got out my C90 Mak / NexStar GT combo:

Objects seen:

o) Venus – was able to push the magnification up to 138x and 168x and still get a nice gibbous shape without false color. Beautiful.
o) M36, M37, M38 – although dimmed by moonglow (and urban skies of course), it was still exciting to revisit these clusters; hadn’t seen them in years.
o) M41 – very bright compared to the 3 previous clusters.
o) Beta Monoceros (mag = 4.6, 5.0, 5.3, sep = 7”, 3”) – at 138x, can see three stars in a row; impressive.
o) Tegman or Zeta Cancri (mag = 5.3. 6.2, 5.9, sep = 6.1”, 1.0”) – can just resolve the tighter binary pair in this triple star system using 138x and 168x.

Other objects seen: NGC 2362, NGC 2392, 19 Lyncis, 38 Gemini, the Moon.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Another Evening with the C90 Mak (3-30-20)

Post by Thefatkitty »

That's a nice setup Terry, that Mak and the NexStar look great together. And a nice evening as well! I'd really like a Mak to add to my collection of fracs and newts. As well, I'm hoping for clear skies here. One day they may come to pass :lol:

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

You had a nice outing, Terry !
Thank you for the post. 👍
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Thefatkitty wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:06 am That's a nice setup Terry, that Mak and the NexStar look great together. And a nice evening as well! I'd really like a Mak to add to my collection of fracs and newts. As well, I'm hoping for clear skies here. One day they may come to pass :lol:

All the best,

Thanks Mark! Saturday night was the first time I ever paired these two together - I've had the Mak since June 2012 and the NexStar GT mount (which came with a 102mm F/9.8 achromat) since October 2012.

But yeah, nice sharp diffraction patterns on the stars with the Mak. Hope you get yours soon!

Don Quixote wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:12 am You had a nice outing, Terry !
Thank you for the post. 👍

Thanks, you're welcome Mark!
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.