Observing Report for 29 March 2020 (Part 1) - a rewarding journey of discovery

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 29 March 2020 (Part 1) - a rewarding journey of discovery

Post by kt4hx »

Despite the moon beginning a new cycle of night sky disruption, I ventured over to the dark site house on the basis of a nice forecast – especially for this time of year. As darkness approached I began the set up process in anticipation. The forecast for transparency was above average and seeing poor. Temperatures would be decent but came with gusty winds. As the evening wore on it was fascinating to hear the gusts coming before they actually reached me because of the woods behind the house.

Around 2100 hours I ventured out and touched up collimation a little on the 17.5 inch f/4.5 dob. I laid out the gear and atlases (Interstellarum and Uranometria). The humidity was low and coupled with the winds, dewing was never an issue. The main eyepieces I utilized was the ES 82° 18mm (110x, EP=4.0mm) and Pentax XW 10mm (199x, EP=2.2mm). I also on occasion would utilize the ES 82° 24mm (82x, EP=5.4mm) if I desired a wider view, XW 7 (283x, EP=1.6mm) and on the odd occasion Ethos 13mm (152x, EP=2.9mm). However, the meat and potatoes of my observations were made with the first two.

For the most part conditions were excellent, though later in the evening high thin clouds began to make an appearance and things would weaken in various parts of the sky. I confined my movements this evening to Ursa Major, Camelopardalis and Draco. At times things would go soft in that part of the sky, but for the most part it remained tenable. Occasionally I had to sit back in my chair for a few minutes to allow things to settle down, and on one occasion I actually went inside to take a break for about half an hour when things looked particularly bleak. Eventually simple fatigue and thin clouds drove me from the field.

The moon, though not significantly illuminated and mocking me from Taurus, was quite distracting and imparted a degree of sky glow nonetheless. As my eyes adjusted to the night sky and the moon’s presence around me, I toddled off to Ursa Major on chart 12 of the IDSA to sort of warm up.

NGC 3556 / Messier 108 (Ursa Major, barred spiral, mag=10.0, size=8.7’x2.2’, SBr=13.1):
At 110x, even with the moon in play this large elongated spiral appeared brightly contrasted with the sky. A bright 12th mag star sat imposed just west of the core with a bright knot just west of the star. Overall it was a curious sight, exhibiting a very strong mottled or curdled appearance. A lot of contrast between light and dark was going on within its large disk giving it a hectic appearance rather than a nice smooth glow. All in all this galaxy was stunningly beautiful to the eye.

NGC 3587 / Messier 97 (Ursa Major, planetary nebula, mag=9.9, size=3.4’x3.3’, SBr-12.3):
About 48’ southeast of M108, I easily located the famous “Owl Nebula.” At 110x (unfiltered) even in the moonlit sky it was bright and large visually. Slightly out of round its disk appeared as a two dimensional cotton ball. Bumping to 199x its famous “eyes” were a subtle presence within the disk. Dropping in an O-III filter its contrast level increased noticeably and it glowed intensely within the field. The eyes became a little less apparent, overwhelmed by the strong brightness of the gas shell with the filter. Overall it was a sort of dirty white snowball in appearance.

NGC 2403 (Camelopardalis, barred spiral, mag=8.5, size=21.9’x12.3’, SBr=14.4):
Turning the page to chart 13, I headed into eastern Camelopardalis to revisit this low surface brightness spiral. Despite the moon’s glow beating down on my back, I noticed the galaxy’s presence in the 8x50 RACI finder as I located its field. At 110x it was a huge presence in the 0.7° TFOV of the ES 82 18mm. A large thick oval glow greeted my eye and immediately I could sense it was chaotic in appearance. Mottling due to the variations of light and dark from the core outward across its arms was clearly evident. The core was a large broadly bright area, elongated with the major axis. There were several imposed foreground stars on its disk. Of particular note was a largish triangle of three field stars (two of 9th and one of 10th) overlaid on the galaxy’s southern half. Using 199x brought out increased mottling and a few dimmer foreground stars peppered over this beautiful galaxy’s envelope.

NGC 2404 (Camelopardalis, diffuse nebula within a galaxy, size=20.0”):
My main reason for returning to NGC 2403, besides having a fine look at the galaxy, was to target its brightest HII region. At 110x this small knot was visible just east of the core and north of a mag 9.9 star (part of the above mentioned imposed triangle). A dim field star was at its southern edge giving the illusory impression of being involved with the nebulosity. I tried the NPB filter but found it only marginally helpful for this object, though it did boost contrast slightly. Using 199x the knot was very apparent, though small of course. I also noticed a couple of other smaller, dimmer knots within the galaxy’s disk. (New)

UGC 3894 (Camelopardalis, elliptical, mag=13.1, size=1.2’x1.2’, SBr=13.6):
Just over half a degree southwest of NGC 2403 I picked up this dim and tiny round pip of light at 110x. It was lying next to a field star and at 199x displayed a stellar core. This gave the impression of a close double star, one with fuzz, the other without. (New)

NGC 2347 (Camelopardalis, spiral, mag=12.5, size=1.8’x1.3’, SBr=13.2):
Moving over to the right side of chart 13, I inched west of NGC 2403 on a journey of discovery. Continuing WSW from the previous object I located a pair of galaxies straddling a field star. First up was this small and somewhat bright elongated glow immediately south of the 7th mag star. Observed at both 110x and 199x it displayed an intermittent stellar core. Otherwise it was a simple diffuse presence within the star’s glare field. (New)

IC 2179 (Camelopardalis, elliptical, mag=12.9, size=1.1’x1.1’, SBr=12.6):
Within the same field of view I also noticed this soft glow about 9’ north of the above mentioned star. It too was snuggled up close to another field star (mag 9.6) to its west. Observing with 110x it presented a small but slightly bright round diffuse glow, while a fleeting stellar core was noted at its core using 199x. (New)

UGC 3642 (Camelopardalis, lenticular, mag=12.4, size=1.4’x1.0’, SBr=12.6):
Southwest of the previous pair I located another FOV duo. The first one appeared as a small and dim rounded dust mote. It seemed mostly homogeneous at 110x, while with 199x it exhibited a very tenuous stellar core. (New)

UGC 3660 (Camelopardalis, spiral, mag=12.7, size=1.7’x0.9’, SBr=13.0):
About 18’ southeast of the previous object and within the same FOV I noticed another small and dim puff of smoke. At 110x it presented a slightly elongated oval that appeared diffuse. Using 199x brought out a weak stellar core embedded in its center. (New)

UGC 3511 (Camelopardalis, spiral, mag=12.5, size=1.5’x1.1’, SBr=12.8):
Just over 2.5° northwest of the last pair I swept up this small homogeneous oval. Slightly bright to the eye at 110x, using 199x brought out a broad brightness within the center of its disk, as well as a very fleeting stellar core. (New)

An interesting aside to this object is the confusion that exists in some references about it and the non-existent object NGC 2253. I happened upon this discrepancy because the IDSA plots the latter just northwest of UGC 3511, and try as I might, I could not see anything at that location. Pulling out Uranometria, it did not plot NGC 2253 at all.

After session research found that William Herschel may have confused a dim compact star grouping, which can sometimes appear slightly diffuse because they are not fully resolved into individual stars. Other references equate UGC 3511 with NGC 2253 (such as in Sky Tools 3). However, there should be only UGC 3511 at the indicated position, and NGC 2253 is simply an error within the NGC.

At this time I returned to chart 5-right in the IDSA to work through a scattered grouping of galaxies straddling the border between Camelopardalis and the northwestern corner of Ursa Major.

NGC 2614 (Ursa Major, spiral, mag=12.9, size=2.0’x1.6’, SBr=14.0):
Just inside UMa, I spotted this low surface brightness oval. It appeared small, dim and oval in shape. There was little improvement going from 110x to 199x and it simply remained a weak homogeneous presence within the field. (New)

NGC 2629 (Ursa Major, spiral, mag=12.3, size=1.5’x1.3’, SBr=12.9):
Less than 20’ east of the last object, I located this small round fuzzy with 110x. Somewhat bright to my eye, it lay next to a 13th mag field star. At 199x it was quite obvious within the same field as NGC 2614, and exhibited a broad brightness in the center of is halo. (New)

NGC 2641 (Ursa Major, lenticular, mag=13.6, size=1.3’x1.1’, SBr=13.9):
Also within the same FOV I noticed a small and dim oval. Evenly illuminated it lays a mere 6’ southeast of the previous galaxy. Its presentation changed little going from 110x to 199x other than a slight boost in contrast. (New)

UGC 4547 Ursa Major, spiral, mag=14.0, size=1.4’x0.3’, SBr=12.8):
As I scanned the field of the previous galaxies I kept picking up hints of another presence as well, between NGCs 2614 and 2629. Again referring to Uranometria I found this pencil thin galaxy plotted exactly where my suspect object was spotted. Not seen at 110x, and only suspected at 199x, it took 297x to ferret it out to my satisfaction. Overall it was quite dim and very thin with imposed foreground stars making things difficult. (New)

NGC 2646 (Camelopardalis, barred spiral, mag=12.1, size=1.3’x1.3’, SBr=1.5):
Just inside the celestial giraffe I pinned this down small and dim object. Viewed at both 110x and 199x it remained unimpressive in the field as a round homogenous subtle glow. I expected a little more from this one, but it could have been that my transparency was starting to fall off slightly. (New)

IC 520 (Camelopardalis, barred spiral, mag=11.7, size=1.5’x1.3’, SBr=12.3):
About 14’ east of the previous object I easily spotted this small and slightly bright round glow. At 110x it appeared evenly illuminated, but at 199x it displayed a concentrated non-stellar brightness at its core. (New)

IC 2389 (Camelopardalis, barred spiral, mag=13.4, size=1.6’x0.3’, SBr=12.4):
I focused my attention about 11’ WNW of NGC 2646 in search of this barred spiral. At 110x I merely suspected there was something at its location. Then at 199x it was confirmed as a dim and small thin oval lying next to a line of 12th and 14th mag stars. Studying it briefly brought out an intermittent stellar core flickering at its center. (New)

NGC 2636 (Camelopardalis, elliptical, mag=13.8, size=0.4’x0.4’, SBr=11.9):
About 8’ north of the last object, I next sought out this elliptical. As with the previous galaxy, at 110x it was merely suspected in the field. I confirmed its presence using 199x, whereby it presented as a small and dim diffuse oval. (New)

NGC 2634 (Camelopardalis, elliptical, mag=12.0, size=1.7’x1.6’, SBr=13.1):
Another 18’ north of the last object I found my next target. At 110x it was somewhat bright to the eye, small and round. A stellar core was also noted, and the view changed little at 199x. (New)

UGC 4585 /NGC 2634A (Camelopardalis, barred spiral, mag=13.6, size=1.8’x0.4’, SBr=13.1):
Within the same FOV less than 2’ SSE of NGC 2634 I spotted this very subtle object at 110x. It was just barely detected as a smooth homogeneous thin oval. It was easier at 199x though it remained a weak presence in the field. (New)

NGC 2633 (Camelopardalis, barred spiral, mag=12.2, size=2.5’x1.5’, SBr=13.5):
Easing north another 8’ brought me to this somewhat bright, small oval. It displayed a non-stellar concentrated brightness in its core, and the overall view changed little from 110x to 199x. This object is also known as Arp 80. (New)

IC 511 (Camelopardalis, lenticular, mag=13.4, size=1.6’x0.5’, SBr=13.1):
About half a degree west of IC 2389 I swept up this small lenticular next to a dim group of stars (13th and 14th mag). At 110x it was a small elongated oval, that revealed a stellar core at 199x. (New)

NGC 2551 (Camelopardalis, spiral, mag=12.1, size=1.7’x1.1’, SBr=12.6):
Just over 1° further west I locked down on my next galaxy. At 110x it was easily seen as a slightly bright small oval. Again, as with the previous object, 199x brought out a stellar core winking within its center. (New)

UGC 4397 (Camelopardalis, spiral, mag=12.7, size=1.5’x1.4’, SBr=13.4):
My next stop was this galaxy, which the IDSA and Uranometria both label as NGC 2550A, though this is not a proper catalogue identifier. Snuggled up against two field stars (13th and 14th mag) it was a small rounded puff of smoke in the field. Viewing with 199x, it seemed slightly more oval in shape. (New)

NGC 2550 (Camelopardalis, spiral, mag=12.8, size=1.0’x0.4’, SBr=11.7):
About 23’ northwest of UGC 4397 I located my next target. At 110x it was a thin sliver, small in size. Overall it was homogeneous in appearance and dim to the eye. The glare of an 8th mag field star about 2.5’ to the east did impact the galaxy’s presence in the field. (New)

UGC 4448 (Camelopardalis, elliptical, mag=13.4, size=0.8’x0.5’, SBr=12.4):
Re-centering NGC 2550 then nudging northeast less than a degree I pulled down this elliptical. Found with 110x it was a small rounded dim pip of light. Dropping in the 10mm (199x) it remained a dim small rounded presence in the field, but did reveal an intermittent stellar core at its center. (New)

NGC 2544 Camelopardalis, barred spiral, mag=12.9, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=12.6):
Again returning to NGC 2550, I spotted this barred spiral about 12’ to its west, sharing the field of view. It presented a small oval that was a little bit dim, but still easily seen at both 110x and 199x. Overall it was evenly illuminated across its extent. (New)

NGC 2523 (Camelopardalis, barred spiral, mag=11.9, size=3.0’x1.8’, SBr=13.6):
Nudging about 37’ southwest of the previous galaxy, I picked up bright and slightly large elongated glow. Homogeneous in appearance overall, using 199x did seem to reveal a very subtle non-stellar brightness within its core area. This object is also catalogued as Arp 9. (New)

UGC 4290 (Camelopardalis, elliptical, mag=12.9, size=1.5’x0.8’, SBr=13.1):
About 19.5’ southeast of NGC 2523 I located this galaxy, sometimes listed as NGC 2523C. Viewed with both 110x and 199x it was a small and dim oval, that sported a stellar core at its heart. (New)

UGC 4259 (Camelopardalis, spiral, mag=13.9, size=2.1’x0.3’, SBr=13.3):
Sometimes listed as NGC 2523B, this thin small oval was found not quite 9’ west of NGC 2523. Overall it presented as dim and homogenous, and not being particularly a strong presence within the field. It shared the FOV with both NGC 2523 and UGC 4290 (NGC 2523C). (New)

I intended to go for UGC 4166 (or NGC 2523A) but at this point things were getting a little squirrely up there so I decided to take a break and went back indoors. By the time I returned to the field, I simply forgot to pick up where I left off. Because conditions were showing signs of increasing variability, I decided to move on to another field to wrap up the evening. I will conclude this outing in part two of my report. Thanks for following along so far during the first part of my personal evening of discovery. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 29 March 2020 (Part 1) - a rewarding journey of discovery

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Another very nice evening. Thanks.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 29 March 2020 (Part 1) - a rewarding journey of discovery

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for your thorough report. Sky Safari doesn`t plot NGC 2253 either.
Impressive list!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:17 am Another very nice evening. Thanks.
Thank you nFA. It was indeed a glorious evening despite the occasional disruption and the winds blasting out of the west. Fortunately where I set up off the side of the garage affords me some screening from the worst of the winds from that direction. That kept the light shroud on the scope from becoming a sail and spinning it around! :)
John Baars wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:03 am Thanks for your thorough report. Sky Safari doesn`t plot NGC 2253 either.
Impressive list!
Thank you John. Good to see that SS gets it right. It was a fun evening and though fatigued by the longer session, it was a good tired in this case. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Hello Alan! It's been awhile since I've spent more than a few minutes on TSS...things keep getting in the way!!

Great report (wouldn't expect anything less) going deep on some really faint objects. Thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:38 pm Hello Alan! It's been awhile since I've spent more than a few minutes on TSS...things keep getting in the way!!

Great report (wouldn't expect anything less) going deep on some really faint objects. Thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I noticed you hadn't been around as much of late. But we all know how it is, life gets in the way of fun sometimes! :lol:

Appreciate you taking the time to read and your comments. It was a fun evening for sure, and part 2 will be posted hopefully by tomorrow. Then I also had a second night of shorter duration which will be reported on at some point as well. But my fun time is over, so back to reality yet again! :lol:
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Sounds like a great night out Alan. Clouds/fog here so I couldn't get out there. Some great explorations in the Celestial Bear and Giraffe! As always, you have set the standard for detailed observation and notes.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:49 pm Thanks Dave. I noticed you hadn't been around as much of late. But we all know how it is, life gets in the way of fun sometimes! :lol:

Appreciate you taking the time to read and your comments. It was a fun evening for sure, and part 2 will be posted hopefully by tomorrow. Then I also had a second night of shorter duration which will be reported on at some point as well. But my fun time is over, so back to reality yet again! :lol:

They closed the Culpeper County Library at least through April...probably through June now...so our local astronomy activities have been pretty much shut down. I've gotten my scopes out in my heavily LP back yard a couple times but not the best conditions to go deep. I pulled out my 1959 Unitron Model 114 (60mm, f/15) last night to check out Venus and the Moon. That's still a great scope and gave some very nice views of both at 100x!!

Regards,
Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Our local club (EAS) has shut everything down through May, including all observing, no access to the scopes at Chabot Science Center, and the center itself is closed until the end of May (at least).
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:54 pm Sounds like a great night out Alan. Clouds/fog here so I couldn't get out there. Some great explorations in the Celestial Bear and Giraffe! As always, you have set the standard for detailed observation and notes.
Thank you Michael, appreciate your comments. Hope you get an opportunity before too long. :)
Unitron48 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:07 pm
They closed the Culpeper County Library at least through April...probably through June now...so our local astronomy activities have been pretty much shut down. I've gotten my scopes out in my heavily LP back yard a couple times but not the best conditions to go deep. I pulled out my 1959 Unitron Model 114 (60mm, f/15) last night to check out Venus and the Moon. That's still a great scope and gave some very nice views of both at 100x!!

Regards,
Dave
I am not surprised by that. I think all such facilities have now been closed. On my way back from the other house today I stopped off at an Aldis in Staunton and found toilet paper and paper towels - who would've thought we would be searching for such things as if they were gold! :roll: But for the time being that is the new normal. Anyway, the mall near it was totally shut down, except for Target. So I went through a drive through for some food and continued on my journey.

Hope you can get a change to use the Morning Calm while all this is going on. At least with that aperture it can take you deeper. Though the moon was present, having the aperture at a darker location, galaxies were still available for observation - which made me smile. :)
Alan

NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by NGC 1365 »

Sounds like you had a great night Alan.
Ivan
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent, Alan! Keep catching those faint fuzzes for all of us. I only managed a few Messiers and a comet in Ursa Major with binos last Friday. Was still fun.

I was hoping to open my Anza season next Moon cycle but the way things are developing here we will likely be under strict curfew by then.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

NGC 1365 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:02 pm Sounds like you had a great night Alan.
Thanks Ivan, it was indeed a wonderful session. More to follow as well.
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:24 pm Excellent, Alan! Keep catching those faint fuzzes for all of us. I only managed a few Messiers and a comet in Ursa Major with binos last Friday. Was still fun.

I was hoping to open my Anza season next Moon cycle but the way things are developing here we will likely be under strict curfew by then.
Thanks Andrey. I will do my best to fill everyone's Easter basket with fuzzies! :lol: I thought about the comet, but simply never got around to it.

Good luck with an Anza trip sometime soon. Things are very disrupted now and hopefully it will level off and start to decrease reasonably soon. :)
Alan

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Another great night out Alan! The first three targets - M97, M108, NGC 2403 - reminds me of my early days. The Owl (being a planetary) was visible from an elevated site overlooking L.A., while the other two were no shows - until I moved to a darker site further north along the coast and a whole new world of deep-sky observing opened up for me. This was all back in 2010.

Had to check my logs - Camelopardalis only 6 galaxies so far...
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

terrynak wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:18 pm Another great night out Alan! The first three targets - M97, M108, NGC 2403 - reminds me of my early days. The Owl (being a planetary) was visible from an elevated site overlooking L.A., while the other two were no shows - until I moved to a darker site further north along the coast and a whole new world of deep-sky observing opened up for me. This was all back in 2010.

Had to check my logs - Camelopardalis only 6 galaxies so far...
Thanks Terry, and yeah those first three warm up objects are very unique and beautiful in their own way. Camelopardalis is rife with galaxies, some of which are very nice. However, it seems to be a constellation that some folks simply overlook. That is likely a combination of it being a dim grouping and that there are no Messier objects within its borders. That is truly a shame as it does have a lot to offer.
Alan

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

kt4hx wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:03 am
Thanks Terry, and yeah those first three warm up objects are very unique and beautiful in their own way. Camelopardalis is rife with galaxies, some of which are very nice. However, it seems to be a constellation that some folks simply overlook. That is likely a combination of it being a dim grouping and that there are no Messier objects within its borders. That is truly a shame as it does have a lot to offer.
Well Alan, I know where my next galaxy hunting ground will be if I can get to darker skies by late spring/early summer (and this current epidemic dies down). Probably people are too busy concentrating on galaxies in Leo as well...
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

My gosh Alan! You kicked butt with that 17.5! Outstanding evening certainly!

I read your report on ngc 2404 with earnest. Not too long ago, ngc 2403 gave me some troubles imaging.

After reading your post, I dug up the image and yes, I did capture ngc 2404 on the top right.
0D20ED57-38A3-4896-A4B4-5793BF0503E2.png
I guess it wasn’t a total loss!

Thanks for you outstanding report Alan!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

terrynak wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:15 am
Well Alan, I know where my next galaxy hunting ground will be if I can get to darker skies by late spring/early summer (and this current epidemic dies down). Probably people are too busy concentrating on galaxies in Leo as well...
Good luck with your next endeavor. Agree the current situation has kind of put things on hold for most folks. Certainly Leo is a great galaxy hunting region. In spring time we are looking outward away from the center of our own galaxy and thus there is much less gas and dust to extinct the view and galaxies reign supreme! :)
Juno16 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:56 am My gosh Alan! You kicked butt with that 17.5! Outstanding evening certainly!

I read your report on ngc 2404 with earnest. Not too long ago, ngc 2403 gave me some troubles imaging.

After reading your post, I dug up the image and yes, I did capture ngc 2404 on the top right.
0D20ED57-38A3-4896-A4B4-5793BF0503E2.png
I guess it wasn’t a total loss!

Thanks for you outstanding report Alan!
Many thanks Jim, and happy you enjoyed the report. As indicated, that was not the end of that evening and part two will be coming out very shortly.

That is an excellent image and you certainly did capture NGC 2404, as well as a few other HII regions. I like the subtle, sort of ghostly spiral structure in your image. My visual impressions of that structure were of course much more subtle. Very well done my friend.
Alan

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very much looking forward to Part 2 Alan!

Your views must be incredible!

I was greeted by a crisp clear sky this morning at 5 a.m. I am hopeful to get out some tonight. Reports are mixed.

Thanks my friend. Hope that your skies are beautiful tonight!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Indeed the views are wonderful. It is a dream come true for me to have that scope at that location full time. Being a confirmed and addicted galaxy hunter, it is truly a match made in heaven.

Good luck tonight buddy, I hope the conditions treat you well. :)
Alan