Let's see your reports!
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Sucker Holes - Oh Joy!!!

Post by helicon »

I managed to get out last night at 10:00 pm with the 25x100's as there were some sucker holes in the clouds. Saw M42, with the trapezium defined - quite a lot of nebulosity evident. I also pointed the binos to the spot equidistant from Denebola (Leo) and Vindemiatrix (Virgo). That's the heart of the Virgo Cluster. I was able to make out 6 distinct glows in one field of view, M87 was one of them. Overall, while panning around there was an impression of distinct faintish objects. Not really hopeful for today's weather but if it is clear I will take out both the 6" for cluster observation and the 10" for galaxies....that's my humble report. It's been awhile since I've had any opportunities....

:telescopewink:
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Sucker Holes - Oh Joy!!!

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello Michael,

glad to see that you have managed a nice galaxies hunt through your 25x100.
We must use every opportunity to pursue our hobby astronomy in these difficult times,

JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Observing with the bins. Now that is something that needs doing a bit more often!

Nice report Michael. Sounds like you had a good session. 25 x 100s sounds like a handful!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

Glad you had a chance to get out and have a look, thanks for sharing Michael.
Ivan
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Well done Michael! It seems that it will be first clear night here today after 3 weeks of clouds and rain. Fingers crossed!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Good to see you get back out Michael, even if it was only viewing through the holes in the clouds! We had a couple of clear nights the past week, but I was so busy with work (at home of course) that I couldn't get out at night. Hope we'll get more clear night opportunities soon.

I only have an 8x35, but it showed plenty at last year's RTMC Star Party (the final one after 51 years sadly) - M7 was awesome, among other things. Still a novice with binoculars. At home, they are reduced to finder status as an aid in telescope star hopping.

Just curious, do you still have your huge Obsession dob? I don't see it under your signature...
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

terrynak wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:25 pm Good to see you get back out Michael, even if it was only viewing through the holes in the clouds! We had a couple of clear nights the past week, but I was so busy with work (at home of course) that I couldn't get out at night. Hope we'll get more clear night opportunities soon.

I only have an 8x35, but it showed plenty at last year's RTMC Star Party (the final one after 51 years sadly) - M7 was awesome, among other things. Still a novice with binoculars. At home, they are reduced to finder status as an aid in telescope star hopping.

Just curious, do you still have your huge Obsession dob? I don't see it under your signature...
I actually ended up selling it to a professor here locally. With the LP and not very many dark sky opportunities, plus the hassle of set-up and tear down on the road, it seemed like a good move. I'm actually developing more of a planetary focus these days, with occasional dso viewing through the 10". My next scope will probably be a long focal length mak.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

helicon wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:19 pm I actually ended up selling it to a professor here locally. With the LP and not very many dark sky opportunities, plus the hassle of set-up and tear down on the road, it seemed like a good move. I'm actually developing more of a planetary focus these days, with occasional dso viewing through the 10". My next scope will probably be a long focal length mak.
I see, sounds like a wise decision. I myself can't go beyond a 150mm Newtonian - and I've resisted using such scopes (of which I have three!) until a couple of months ago when I gave the Orion Starblast 6 a first light. At least that one is portable and can be easily lugged around to darker skies with the Orion-made soft carrying case for it. Just need a park bench or table for it.

But a Mak will have its own niche within your existing scopes, especially if the focus is on planetary viewing (reputation for being as good as 'fracs) and portability. I myself own a C90 Mak since 2012, but sadly its been underused. The only times I've used it was to pick out small planetary nebula, both in darker skies and at home. I need to try it out on the planets. The only downside is the long cool-down time.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice report Michael. Glad that you got out for some views even though the clouds tried to get in the way.

25x100’s sound sweet! Like looking through my ED102 using one per eye!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/