Observing Report for 21 March 2020 - There be clouds and some galaxies

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 21 March 2020 - There be clouds and some galaxies

Post by kt4hx »

We headed over to the dark site house for a couple of nights on a wing and a prayer, as the forecast was not encouraging. Friday night was to be a wash, which it indeed was. Saturday’s forecast changed from hour to hour during the day. Sometimes it would be at least mildly promising while other times it was also a no-go. In the end, as dark approached, it seemed to indicate some partly cloudy conditions at least for a few hours so I set out everything but the scope, though it was readied in the garage.

I kept stepping out about every hour to check conditions but it wasn’t until about 2230 hours that I finally decided to roll the big one out, though even then things were not that great. About 2300 I found some larger patches of clearing and knew that was as good as it would likely get. So setting up my stuff, I did a quick re-check of collimation, tweaking it slightly. Because I wouldn’t have a lot of time given the highly variable conditions, I only sat out two eyepieces, the ES 82 18mm (110x) and the Pentax XW 10mm (198x) for use with the 17.5 inch dob.

The northern portion of the sky seemed to be the best of the lot so I headed there to look at a few showpieces to warm up my eyes a bit. Aligning the Rigel Quikfinder and RACI on Phad in the Big Dipper asterism, I decided to give Messier 109 a look to begin.

NGC 3992 / Messier 109 (Ursa Major, barred spiral, mag=9.8, size=7.6’x4.6’, SBr=13.5):
At 110x it was very large and very bright. During moments of better clarity, subtle spiral structure was inferred through the variations of light (arms) and dark (dust lanes). The central region was bright and elongated slightly off-line with the major axis, indicative of its bar. Despite the conditions this galaxy was quite nice.

NGC 5194 / Messier 51 (Canes Venatici, spiral, mag=8.4, size=11.2’x6.9’, SBr=12.9):
Moving over to the tip of the dipper’s handle, peering into the 8x50 RACI I could easily see the triangle of stars almost 3° southwest of Eta UMa (1.9). Along the side of this pattern opposite Eta, I could see the tiny fuzz of Messier 51 in the finder and centered it. In the eyepiece at 110x it and NGC 5195 struck a strongly bright and very large figure. The primary galaxy displayed its very apparent trademark spiral structure despite the weaker transparency. There was much variation between light and dark across its disk, giving it an eerie appearance to the eye. I easily two brighter foreground stars (10.9 & 11.7) involved in its large glow that have on occasion been mistaken for supernovae by less experienced observers.

NGC 5195 (Canes Venatici, lenticular, mag=9.5, size=5.8’x4.6’, SBr=13.0):

The companion to M51 was quite bright in its own right. Heavily influenced by M51, it was a rounded presence with a slightly brighter central area. The connecting bridge between the two was very, very subtle under the prevailing conditions and quite difficult. Even if this galaxy were not involved with M51 it would still be a fine object to observe on its own.

I now turned to chart 5 in Interstellarum (IDSA) to continue. As it turned out, I never left this chart for the remainder of the evening.

NGC 3031 / Messier 81 (Ursa Major, spiral, spiral, mag=6.9, size=26.9’x14.1’, SBr=13.2):
Using my Rigel Quikfinder to eyeball the position of this showpiece, I pretty much nailed it. When I moved to the RACI I could see the tiny smudges of M81 (and M82) near the center of the field. A small tweak put me on this huge spiral in the main scope at 110x, where it presented a very bright and very large oval visual treat. As I studied it further and in moments of better clarity, I could easily infer subtle spiral arms both in the side closest to us and in is opposite side. Likewise I could also detect dust lanes along both sides of the major axis between the core/inner arms and the outer arms. This detail was subtle mind you, but nonetheless clearly visible at various times. When transparency weakened due to the passage of thin cloud layers those details was vanish and the whole disk become a homogeneous patch of gauze. Regardless, it was an amazingly beautiful sight to these old eyes.

NGC 3034 / Messier 82 (Ursa Major, spiral, mag=8.4, size=11.2’x4.3’, SBr=12.5):

Just north of the previous object one of course finds this uniquely interesting galaxy that is heavily distorted due to its interaction with M81. Visually at 110x it presented a large and very bright plank of light. Its middle region was etched with dark lanes at various angles cutting across its disk at the minor axis. Visually it was less impressive than its larger neighbor, but the pair exhibit beautifully together within the same field of view.

UGC 5336 / Holmberg IX (Ursa Major, dwarf irregular, mag=14.1, size=2.8’x2.5, SBr=16.1):
One of my goals this evening, conditions permitting of course, was to seek out this satellite of M81. While studying the large spiral, I also utilized the stars within the field to try pinpointing this dim and elusive puff of light. During the periods of stronger transparency over the course of my short outing, I did pick up very subtle traces of its presence in the field. It was never visible to any great extent due to its weak surface brightness, but I could at moments of steadier conditions pick up a slight brightening against the dark backdrop. This is one I plan to pursue again under better conditions. (New)

NGC 3077 (Ursa Major, spiral, mag=9.8, size=5.4’x4.5’, SBr=13.2):
I revisited this member of the M81 Group which lay about 46.5’ southeast of the group’s namesake. As always it presented a fairly large and very bright oval presence in the field forming a right triangle with a couple of bright field stars. It presented a mostly homogeneous oval that exhibited some very subtle brightness into its center.

IC 2574 (Ursa Major, spiral, mag=10.4, size=13.2’x5.4’, SBr=14.8):
While in the ‘hood, I dropped by this very elusive galaxy a little over 2° ESE of NGC 3077. A low surface brightness member of the M81 Group, it can be an extreme challenge from typical suburban observing sites. This evening it was easily swept up at 110x and exhibited a large elongated irregularly shaped disk. Overall it was a little dim visually, being slightly mottled in texture. I picked up a slightly large HII region in the northeastern quadrant of its disk, with a dimmer and smaller region along its southeastern side as well. A few faint field stars were in close proximity as well. All in all, it presented a very curious ghostly appearance to the eye.

NGC 2959 (Ursa Major, barred spiral, mag=12.8, size=1.3’x1.3’, SBr=13.2):
Moving back to the SSW of M81, I picked up a galaxy duo. The more obvious of the pair is this face-on barred spiral. At 110x it was bright though small. Round in shape it was homogeneous in appearance, not yielding any variations in brightness within the disk. At 198x the impression remained pretty much the same, with the galaxy being stronger within the field, and clearly dominating its neighbor about 1.5’ to the northeast. (New)

NGC 2961 (Ursa Major, lenticular, mag=14.7, size=0.7’x0.2’, SBr=12.4):
Playing second fiddle to NGC 2959 to its southwest, this dust mote of distant light presented as a smaller and dimmer rounded oval. While readily seen at 110x, it was obviously weaker in the field. At 198x it was more easily apparent, though its general appearance remained the same. (New)

NGC 2976 (Ursa Major, spiral, mag=10.2, size=5.9’x2.7’, SBr=13.0):
About 42’ SSE of the previous duo I easily locked onto this very bright and somewhat large oval. The orientation was tipped northwest to southeast. The southeastern end of the galaxy was thicker than was its northwestern end. A dim 15th mag field star winked in and out at the northwestern tip while another of 15th mag star was pinned just off the southwestern edge. Overall the disk displayed some subtle mottling with variations of light and dark. Looking at images of this galaxy later, I noticed a fair amount of dark obscuring matter in the northwestern half of the disk, which was likely the reason it appeared narrower in width at that end. (New)

Moving northwest of the M81/82 pairing, I stopped for a little bit at the position of UGC 5139 (Holmberg I), another dim member of the M81 Group. Studying the field for a bit I came up empty. So onward I went to my next target for the short outing.

NGC 2810 (Ursa Major, elliptical, mag=12.2, size=1.7’x1.7’, SBr=13.4):
This small round glow was easily swept up about 3.5° northwest of M82 at 110x it was somewhat bright to the eye. Studying the disk also at 198x revealed a near stellar core that was brighter than its surrounding halo. Otherwise, as is typical of most elliptical no other details were seen. (New)

NGC 2985 (Ursa Major, spiral, mag=10.4, size=4.6’x3.6’, SBr=13.3):
Nudging a little over 2° ENE from the previous galaxy, and passing over 22 UMa (5.8) and 27 UMa (5.1), I swept up this previously observed spiral. Visually it was a small bright oval with a bright center at 110x. This one was merely a quick stop off before heading on eastward.

NGC 3027 (Ursa Major, barred spiral, mag=11.8, size=3.9’x1.4’, SBr=13.5):
About 25’ east of NGC 2985 and in the same field of view, I picked up this thin sliver of dim light. I found its visual impression dimmer than expected based on its numbers, as it presented as a small and dim pencil of ghostly light at both 110x and 198x. (New)

NGC 3065 (Ursa Major, lenticular, mag=12.5, size=1.7’x1.5’, SBr=13.4):
About half a degree further east I located a pair of rounded puffs of galactic light separated by about 3’. The northern most of the duo presented as a homogeneous small oval. I found it a little bit bright to the eye but otherwise devoid of detail. (New)

NGC 3066 (Ursa Major, barred spiral, mag=12.9, size=1.1’x1.0’, SBr=12.9):
The southern of the pair was definitely smaller in angular extent and dimmer. Also homogeneous in appearance its slightly oval shape was perpendicular to that of NGC 3065. Otherwise it was equally unimpressive within the shared field. (New)

UGC 5415 (Ursa Major, spiral, mag=13.6, size=1.6’x0.3’, SBr=12.7):

While observing the NGC 3065/3066 pair, I kept noticing a small smudge that would drift in and out of view a few arc minutes to their ENE. The IDSA did not plot anything at this position, so I pulled out my trusty Uranometria which plotted this nearly edge on spiral. Focusing my attention on it using both 110x and 198x it was nothing more than a very weak and thinly sliced dust mote. Under better conditions I believe it would certainly be much easier. (New)

NGC 3147 (Draco, spiral, mag=10.6, size=3.9’x3.5’, SBr=13.3):

Slipping northward into Draco, I easily pinned down this previously observed galaxy. Using both 110x and 198x it was a round, a little bit large and somewhat bright to the eye. Pinned to its center was a strong stellar core.

Clouds of both the high thin and thick low variety were starting to encroach more intensely into the whole sky so I knew my outing would soon be at an end. So I nudged north of NGC 3147 to look for a loose grouping of galaxies, including a plotting error in the IDSA.

In this group the atlas plots four galaxies, which is incorrect. While Uranometria correctly plots three, the IDSA plots one galaxy twice using both of its NGC designations, namely NGC 3183 and NGC 3218. The latter designation is attributable to William Herschel but occurred on an evening when he had his scope slightly misaligned to the meridian and thus the positions of his discoveries that evening were incorrectly recorded. The former is attributable to Heinrich d’Arrest who got it correct. Dreyer reassessed Herschel’s papers and in a 1912 revision of the NGC stated that NGC 3183 equals NGC 3218 and that the latter should be struck out. Regardless of all that, I nudged into my final field of the evening as things started to tank.

NGC 3155 (Draco, spiral, mag=12.9, size=1.0’x0.5’, SBr=12.0):
The first of the loose group (of three as it turned out) was this small and thin oval. Easily noticed at 110x it was slightly bright to the eye, standing out well in the field. Overall it was homogeneous in appearance. However, I did not notice NGC 3144 (aka NGC 3174) just to its southwest. (New)

NGC 3183 (Draco, barred spiral, mag=11.9, size=2.3’x1.4’, SBr=13.0):
About 20’ southeast of NGC 3155 I also noticed this somewhat bright oval within the same field of view (duplicated in the NGC as number 3218). Small in visual size, it also sported a 12th mag field star involved just southwest of its center, giving the appearance of an offset stellar core. Otherwise it was simply a homogeneous soft glow. (New)

Going two for three in my last field of the evening signaled the end of the run at about 0030 hours. All told I got in perhaps an hour of actual observing in between short periods of waiting for an opening. Some areas of the sky were still showing stars, but they were overlaid with a thin gauzy layer of clouds, while the rest was totally obscured. The forecast was for heavily clouded skies for the remainder of the evening so I rolled the big feller back into the garage and stowed the other gear in the van for the return trip home on Sunday afternoon.

While the outing was not particularly long nor exactly what I had hoped for, galaxies there were. Conditions during the spring months can be rather unpredictable, but at least it granted me a short window of opportunity to seek out my favorite targets. Thanks for coming along on my journey and hope you get your own opportunities soon. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 21 March 2020 - There be clouds and some galaxies

Post by notFritzArgelander »

A wonderful night under less than promising conditions!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:16 pm A wonderful night under less than promising conditions!
Thanks nFA. This time of year is so squir​rel​ly sometimes you have to take the small scraps the sky offers. Make lemonade as Bryan is fond of saying. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. A very nice report even with "spotty" opportunities that you had due to the skies. Lots of nice targets, and very good details of your accomplishments. Thanks for your latest report Alan, and the best of wishes for better skies soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:19 am Hi Alan. A very nice report even with "spotty" opportunities that you had due to the skies. Lots of nice targets, and very good details of your accomplishments. Thanks for your latest report Alan, and the best of wishes for better skies soon.
Thank you Marshall. Hopefully things will clear up for a lot of folks. :)
Alan

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Really nice report Alan!

Man, that 17.5 is a photon grabbing machine!

I am totally amazed that you caught a glimpse of UGC 5336! Its just a puff in my image!

Lots of other fine catches in touch and go conditions. Persistence definitely paid off!

Thanks for your enjoyable read.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:58 am Really nice report Alan!

I am totally amazed that you caught a glimpse of UGC 5336! Its just a puff in my image!

Lots of other fine catches in touch and go conditions. Persistence definitely paid off!

Thanks Jim. Grabbing photons is what it is indeed all about - visually or photographically. :) Just that I need more aperture accordingly for the visual side of that equation! :lol:

I do believe that UGC 5336 will reveal itself a little easier under normalized conditions. Actually one of my to-do lists is the M81 Group, and Holmberg I and II are also on that hit list. Of course, the sky has to be cooperative, which can be tough this time of year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M81_Group
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:58 am Really nice report Alan!

I hope to get a shot at UGC 5336 again this Thursday evening, provided the forecast settles down a bit. But again, this time of year that can be a bit of a crap shoot. :)
Alan

10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Hello Alan. Thanks for sharing another fine report. I always enjoy reading your detailed reports and following along with my IDSA. You can certainly cover a lot of territory in a short length of time! I had an opportunity a couple of nights ago with no moon and clouds moving in and out but decided not to set up. One minute I could see Sirius then a few minutes later I was socked in with clouds and to put the icing on the cake the wind was really gusting hard from the north. Very depressing! I usually end up making an observing list from your observations and then later I enjoy making comparisons between our scopes. Thanks again Alan and clear skies my friend! :text-thankyoublue:
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

Thanks for sharing your observations Alan, an enjoyable read.
Ivan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

10538 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:29 am Hello Alan. Thanks for sharing another fine report. I always enjoy reading your detailed reports and following along with my IDSA. You can certainly cover a lot of territory in a short length of time! I had an opportunity a couple of nights ago with no moon and clouds moving in and out but decided not to set up. One minute I could see Sirius then a few minutes later I was socked in with clouds and to put the icing on the cake the wind was really gusting hard from the north. Very depressing! I usually end up making an observing list from your observations and then later I enjoy making comparisons between our scopes. Thanks again Alan and clear skies my friend! :text-thankyoublue:
Thanks Ed, always nice to have you following along. Nowadays, I tend to focus on a smaller section of sky, which increases session productivity. In this particular case I did not spend a lot of time using varying magnifications/exit pupils to study the galaxies like I might ordinarily. Like your recent session, I knew my time was limited so I tried so squeeze in as much as I could. Even so, I was happy with the evening despite its limitations. Good luck with your upcoming outings buddy. :)
NGC 1365 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:21 am Thanks for sharing your observations Alan, an enjoyable read.
Thanks so much Ivan. Happy you enjoyed the report. Hope to get out again this week but conditions are looking a little weak overall. Good luck on your forays and enjoyed your pursuit of M51 from the deep south. It is always fun and exotic to dig down into the northern (in your case) and southern (in our case) horizon to see what kind of stuff we can pick up that we might ordinarily think about.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Very wise of you to limit observations to only a part of the sky. Doesn cost so much of our observing time. Well done!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:10 am Very wise of you to limit observations to only a part of the sky. Doesn cost so much of our observing time. Well done!
Not often I am equated with being wise, so thanks for that! :lol:

Typically in the past, when using smaller apertures I made large gross movements around the sky seeking out objects. However, since I've permanently placed the larger scope at the dark site, my game plan has changed. Because of the increased light capture and darker skies, I can more easily limit my foraging to one or two (sometimes three or four) adjacent constellations. There will typically not be a shortage of galaxies (or other objects) at my disposal. By keeping the movements smaller, it does make better use of the time I have, increasing observing productivity.
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice haul Alan! Great that you managed some galaxy hunting.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:38 pm Nice haul Alan! Great that you managed some galaxy hunting.
Thanks Andrey. I am always happy when galaxies are found! :) The forecast seems to indicate Sunday night might be good for another trip. Though the moon will be around, it will not be substantially illuminated.
Alan

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Great to see you back at work Alan! UMa was once of my favorite galaxy hunting grounds (93 total). My lifestyle has changed now so my chances of getting to a dark sky site are reduced to the occasional astronomy club (of which I'm not a member of) star party. I'll go about 2-3 times a year.

My last dark site experience (last December in the outskirts of Brisbane) was a pleasure, as I was able to hit galaxy after galaxy in Reticulum and Dorado. I'm actually looking forward to your next southern sky report.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

terrynak wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:58 pm Great to see you back at work Alan! UMa was once of my favorite galaxy hunting grounds (93 total). My lifestyle has changed now so my chances of getting to a dark sky site are reduced to the occasional astronomy club (of which I'm not a member of) star party. I'll go about 2-3 times a year.

My last dark site experience (last December in the outskirts of Brisbane) was a pleasure, as I was able to hit galaxy after galaxy in Reticulum and Dorado. I'm actually looking forward to your next southern sky report.

Hi Terry and thanks my friend. Not sure when my next trip south will be since I just got back from a trip under a very intense light dome! I took no scope and it was just as well, since I had no opportunity to get away from the light anyway. I remember your reports of Reticulum and Dorado - both fine galaxy fields indeed. :)

I am heading back over to the dark site house Sunday and if conditions hold might stay through Monday night as well. Though the moon will be present, its not yet significantly illuminated, so I know galaxies will be available. Take care and hope things work out there for you to get out to a dark site sooner than you anticipate.
Alan

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

kt4hx wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:38 pm Hi Terry and thanks my friend. Not sure when my next trip south will be since I just got back from a trip under a very intense light dome! I took no scope and it was just as well, since I had no opportunity to get away from the light anyway. I remember your reports of Reticulum and Dorado - both fine galaxy fields indeed. :)

I am heading back over to the dark site house Sunday and if conditions hold might stay through Monday night as well. Though the moon will be present, its not yet significantly illuminated, so I know galaxies will be available. Take care and hope things work out there for you to get out to a dark site sooner than you anticipate.
You're welcome Alan! Looking forward to the next dark sky observing opportunity, whenever that will be. But observing from more southerly latitudes will always be the most intriguing (incl. Hawaii).

In the meantime, I'll be seeking whatever asterisms are left from the Sky Hunters Asterism List and my newest interest - double stars - from my urban skies.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

A very nice outing, Alan!

All work and no play is making me a very dull boy. :D
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

bladekeeper wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:29 pm A very nice outing, Alan!

All work and no play is making me a very dull boy. :D
Thanks Bryan, Yeah that can happen. While life in general during this epizootic is dull for many because of so many closures, I am sure you would welcome some of that kind of dulldom. :)
Alan