Let's see your reports!
prowler75
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Horse tails and chilly weather

Post by prowler75 »

Hello Friends,

The forecast for last night called for clear sky and chilly weather here in central NC. I spent a short while looking at my previous observing logs and a little time with Sky Tools to come up with a list of targets. I have to say over by brief break from the hobby my master observing log moved around the computer quite a bit, got copied, renamed, etc. so I need to sit down and do a little maintenance with it.

Anyway back to last night. I went outside to get a look at conditions and the clear sky from the forecast was partially interrupted by some high thin "horse tail" like cirrus clouds that seemed to be popping up just northwest of my location and drifting over my head. This put a damper on my original plans, but Orion seemed to be mostly free of any obstructions. So here goes my report!

1/20/2020
The temperature was on the chilly side at 23* F so I made sure to include my insulated Carhart overalls and winter jacket to stay comfortable.
I rolled my 12" Dob (Z12) out of the garage and into my backyard. I have to say I really like observing from my fenced in backyard. The house blocks nearly all ground lighting and I don't have to worry about and critters! :)
Sky conditions were partly clear with fine cirrus clouds drifting through.

M42
Bright Nebula in Orion, Mag: 4.0
How can anyone point a scope at Orion and NOT look at M42. Viewed at 66.7x with my ES 82* 18mm the nebula put on nice view, but there seemed to be a slight lack of some of the fine wispy details I was able to see during my last viewing. I decided to break out my Orion Ultrablock filter and see if there was any difference. The addition of the filter did pay off with many additional fine details coming out that were best viewed with averted vision.

NGC 1980
Bright Nebula in Orion, Mag: 2.50
Since it was so close by I wanted to get a look at this bright nebula/open cluster with the Ultrablock filter. Starting st 66.7x I could easily make out an extended glow surrounding Iota Orionis. I wanted able to make out much detail in the nebulosity, however I could catch additional fine softly glowing wisps extending from M42 in the peripheral of the eye piece.

NGC 1999 - NEW! (at least according the my last excel file)
Bright Nebula in Orion, Mag: 10.0
Again I still had the Ultrablock attached to my 18mm giving me 66.7x magnification. I immediately noticed a smaller knot of fuzz. It kind of reminded me of the faint core of a galaxy. I pulled the filter off the eyepiece and noticed what appeared to be a star with extremely fuzzy edges. I was surely only capturing the very brightest part, but I was not able to make any structure.

The cirrus clouds started to invade the lower part of Orion so I moved back to the top.

NGC 2022- NEW!
Planetary Nebula in Orion, Mag: 11.69
I start by putting my Telrad on Lambda Orionis and used the RACI to get into the general area before moving the eyepiece, again starting at 66.7x mag. Success! I landed nearly right on it and I was able to make a small circular smudge, like someone tapped a dirty pencil eraser straight down. I bumped up the magnification to 109x and then to 150x, but couldn't make out any additional details. I switched back to 109x and attached my 2" Ultrablock filter to my scope's 1.25" eyepiece adapter, careful to make sure the eyepiece was pulled back slightly to not hit the filter. With the filter this PN jumps right out, but doesn't really reveal much more than a circular smudge of light.

NGC 2186 - NEW!
Open Cluster in Orion, Mag: 8.69
Starting at 66.7x magnification there wasn't much to be impressed here. This OC is small and not very well detached from the field. I had to go back and re-create my star hop several times to make sure I even had it. Increasing magnification yielded the addition of some fainter stars, but also the feeling that there were many more just outside view. Almost gave a very slight nebulous appearance in places.

While viewing NGC 2186 the view suddenly dimmed and disappeared behind clouds that were rapidly starting to get on my nerves. My hands were starting to get cold too so I figured this would be a good time to close out the session, but there was still one more object I wanted to check out.

C/2017 T2 (PANSTARRS) - NEW! (I think)
Comet in Perseus, Mag: 9.3
From an early report I read I got the idea of going after this comet. I put my Telrad on Eta Persei and used the RACI to hop down toward NGC 957.
Nothing really spectacular here, but visible as a faint glow with a definite stellarish brightening just slightly offset from the center. Best viewed with averted vision. I wasn't able to pick up any hints of the tail. Moving up in magnification I actually found the object to get harder to view.

With the comet bagged I decided to call it a night, but I had full intentions of coming back out at 2:30am to try to bag the two SN's in NGC 4636 and M100.

I ended up staying up really late viewing picture and noting the expected positions so I could be prepared. Finally I fell asleep about 1:45 and in what seemed like a few seconds my alarm was going off. I did a quick weather check on my iPhone, clear, and quietly made my way downstairs to put on mt cold weather gear. I went into the garage and grabbed the eyepieces I was intending to use. Since it was late I wasnt going to bother setting up all of my gear. I put my ES 18mm in the eyepiece and put the ES 11mm and two KK orthos in the eyepiece tray on the side of my dob, All set I hit open on the garage door and walked out to about 75% cloud cover! :flame:
My hopes of catching the SN's were dashed and I put everything away and made my way back to bed.

The crappy thing about last night was I trouble getting back to sleep. The combination of spending time out in the cold and little sleep has been feeling quite a bit under the weather today so I am going to end up having too take a pass on tonight's cleat skies to get some rest.

Anyway, that is my report. It turned out to be a bit wordy so thank you all for taking the time to read it!

Clear Skies My Friends!

Craig
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Horse tails and chilly weather

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice session Craig. Congrats on catching the comet! Most of them don't look like much, but I still enjoy hunting them.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Sounds like a great evening out there Craig and for the most part you beat the clouds. I have to put NGC 2022 on my list. I certainly hope you rest up - try some lemon tea, has worked wonders for me as I recently got a cold but got over it in a couple of days thanks to the tea and chewing some vitamin C tabs.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice deal Craig, good for you! Chilly night for sure as well. You got more targets in Orion than I've seen in the past year :lol: Nice you saw PANSTARRS as well. Too bad about the SN and all the trouble you went to...!! I know what that's like; "second wind" and you just can't wind down. When you do, the alarm clock goes off...

Hope all is good buddy, and great report! :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:04 pm Nice session Craig. Congrats on catching the comet! Most of them don't look like much, but I still enjoy hunting them.
Thanks Bigz!
helicon wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:38 pm Sounds like a great evening out there Craig and for the most part you beat the clouds. I have to put NGC 2022 on my list. I certainly hope you rest up - try some lemon tea, has worked wonders for me as I recently got a cold but got over it in a couple of days thanks to the tea and chewing some vitamin C tabs.
Thanks Michael! I don’t think it so much just that the weather was chilly, it’s more the massive swings we have been having. Last week it was nearly 70°F and today we barely broke 36! It’s going to be an early to bed night so I a, get some rest.
Thefatkitty wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:04 am Nice deal Craig, good for you! Chilly night for sure as well. You got more targets in Orion than I've seen in the past year :lol: Nice you saw PANSTARRS as well. Too bad about the SN and all the trouble you went to...!! I know what that's like; "second wind" and you just can't wind down. When you do, the alarm clock goes off...

Hope all is good buddy, and great report! :D

All the best,
Thank you Mark!

I
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Well, too bad on the darn clouds!

But, you had a very nice warm-up session in Orion. Next time you go for NGC 1999, look for the dark keyhole in the middle of the brightest part. May need to be at a dark site...

Congrats on the comet too!

Stuffed up with clouds here. Expecting a wintry mix overnight and into the morning. Should be a fun 3-minute drive to work in the morning. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Sounds like a great night Craig!

Definitely worth getting out in the cold.

Nice catches including the comet. I'm sure that you got some great views with the big dob!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

This is a pleasing report, Craig.
Thank you.
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Thanks for sharing the fine report Craig! Cold as heck down here on the coast too! I was out on the 16th and tried for the comet but no joy mostly because I was cold and tired near the end of the session. Congratulations on bagging that one! I also spent some time in and around Orion! Such a beautiful part of the sky! Too cold tonight for me! :lol:
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great session!
Very nice you caught the comet as well. You description of it aligns well with what I have seen. Thanks for remembering of NGC2022 and other NGC-s. I will have to try those next time I am in the Orion area. They all suffer from M13 and M92-syndrom: having such a famous neighbor like M42 means that they are seldom visited.
Thanks for your report!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.