Brisbane Report #3 - Odds and Sods

Let's see your reports!
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Brisbane Report #3 - Odds and Sods

Post by terrynak »

A few other things from my Brisbane trip (all images, except for me at Moogerah Dam, taken by me).

View of the city from Lookout Mount Coot-tha:

Brisbane is not as spread out as Sydney, nor as cramped as Melbourne.

A 4.5 inch Ross telescope of 5 foot focal length, first owned by the Brisbane amateur astronomer Captain Henry O’Reilly (1824-1877):

He purchased it for £77 10s in April 1871 for use at his private observatory, which was completed later that year. This scope is now housed in the Museum of Lands, Surveying, and Mapping.

My Orion SkyScanner at Moogerah Dam, mounted on a heavy Manfrotto tripod:

I had this telescope since June 2010 – it introduced me into the pleasures of deep-sky observing. A good grab-and-go scope. The aperture on this scope (100mm) was sufficient to begin resolving Omega Centauri and 47 Tucanae. This was impossible with the Meade 50mm F/7 refractor I brought to Sydney two years ago.

Marine telescopes, from the Queensland Maritime Museum:

Me at Moogerah Dam, looking at a star chart - note that the constellation Orion is upside down:

The Astro Anarchy store in the CBD or heart of Brisbane:

Only quality scopes sold here.

Barbecue stoves ("shrimp on the barbie") at a public park:

Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Brisbane Report #3 - Odds and Sods

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Thanks! Especially for the pic of the Ross refractor. I love the old scopes.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Great pics, Terry! Thanks much for posting these! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Excellent trip Terry and welcome home. Appreciate the images and I will say you gave the SkyScanner a great workout and had a lot of fine photons passing through it! :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Very nice!
I to appreciate the historic pictures and the Ross telescope.
Something to check more about :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:50 am Thanks! Especially for the pic of the Ross refractor. I love the old scopes.

You're welcome nFA!

The only other historic telescope I saw was one owned by Sir Thomas Brisbane (governor/astronomer), on display at the City Museum in Brisbane City Hall:

It looks like a terrestrial telescope though...

bladekeeper wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:08 am Great pics, Terry! Thanks much for posting these! :)

Thanks, you're welcome Bryan!

kt4hx wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:25 am Excellent trip Terry and welcome home. Appreciate the images and I will say you gave the SkyScanner a great workout and had a lot of fine photons passing through it! :)

Thanks Alan! This scope was up to the task - I'm very proud of it.

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:00 am Very nice!
I to appreciate the historic pictures and the Ross telescope.
Something to check more about :)

Thanks LF!

Too bad there is no historic observatory that exists in Brisbane. Only a planetarium, built in 1978:

Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Very interesting report. Seeing Orion and others upside down has to be on the bucket list of all Northerners!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Nice, this Ross telescope.
On the black and white pic in the background we can see the old heavy duty wooden tripod (heavy indeed) with the same(?) mount. Very nice to see that Henry used stones on the bottom of the tripod for extra stability. Apparently our ancestors had rigorous solutions for well known amateur problems. I quess this was more stable than many modern and flimsy mounts...

Thanks for your report and your pics!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 am Very interesting report. Seeing Orion and others upside down has to be on the bucket list of all Northerners!

Regards

Graeme

Thanks Graeme. Mild shock seeing the northern constellations oriented different (e.g. Orion overhead on the northern horizon and upside down).

John Baars wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:50 am Nice, this Ross telescope.
On the black and white pic in the background we can see the old heavy duty wooden tripod (heavy indeed) with the same(?) mount. Very nice to see that Henry used stones on the bottom of the tripod for extra stability. Apparently our ancestors had rigorous solutions for well known amateur problems. I quess this was more stable than many modern and flimsy mounts...

Thanks for your report and your pics!

Thanks John, you're welcome!

I didn't notice the picture carefully myself, so thanks for mentioning! The man shown using the instrument is not Henry though (the picture is too contemporary). The scope found its way into the Surveyor General's Dept of Queensland and may have been used here for surveying purposes.
prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Excellent trip down under!
The upside down Orion pic was a very cool perspective to being in the Southern Hemisphere.
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Terry that is awesome, thanks for that! Love the pictures, especially Orion. Took a sec to "orient" myself, so to speak. And the old scopes too. I quite like the scope shop and the name of it too; started by an ex-skateboarder, perhaps? :lol: Cool ET at the door as well...
Good for you on taking the SkyScanner, looks quite solid on that mount as well.

Nice trip and welcome home! :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Nice photos Terry, thanks!

I didn’t even notice an upside down Orion until I read Graeme’s post!

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

prowler75 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:46 am Excellent trip down under!
The upside down Orion pic was a very cool perspective to being in the Southern Hemisphere.

Thanks Craig. And seeing the moon phasing in the opposite direction as well.

Thefatkitty wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:56 am Terry that is awesome, thanks for that! Love the pictures, especially Orion. Took a sec to "orient" myself, so to speak. And the old scopes too. I quite like the scope shop and the name of it too; started by an ex-skateboarder, perhaps? :lol: Cool ET at the door as well...
Good for you on taking the SkyScanner, looks quite solid on that mount as well.

Nice trip and welcome home! :D

All the best,

You're welcome, thanks Mark!

Juno16 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:21 am Nice photos Terry, thanks!

I didn’t even notice an upside down Orion until I read Graeme’s post!

Jim

Thanks, you're welcome Jim!
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Thanks for sharing the photos Terry. Sounds like it was a wonderful trip. And I am glad that you got some scope time in as well!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Cool pics, thanks for sharing Terry! Looks like Brisbane was not effected by wild fires as badly as other parts of Australia.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

What do you mean Orion is upside down ?.... Great that you enjoyed your trip . Phill
Attachments
ozp.jpg
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

helicon wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:19 pm Thanks for sharing the photos Terry. Sounds like it was a wonderful trip. And I am glad that you got some scope time in as well!
You're welcome Michael! It was wonderful - and getting observing time with the locals was a great experience. Could have easily not have happened (observing).
Bigzmey wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:58 pm Cool pics, thanks for sharing Terry! Looks like Brisbane was not effected by wild fires as badly as other parts of Australia.
Thanks, you're welcome Andrey! Fortunately, Brisbane is away from the fires. But it did effect the weather there - mostly cloudy or hazy skies. I had to get very far away with the help of Petar to get some moments of clear skies.
Ozypic wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:28 pm What do you mean Orion is upside down ?.... Great that you enjoyed your trip . Phill
Thanks Phill! Hope to return to the Southern Hemisphere sometime this year. There's a lot of deep sky stuff there I need to log...
jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador

Post by jrm_astro »

Great post Terry!

The Brisbane planetarium is always a great trip and I have certainly dropped a few paychecks at Astro Anarchy.
Hope you enjoyed your time here.

Cheers
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Guiding - Orion 50mm guide with ZWO ASI120MM-S
Imaging - ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool, ZWO Filter wheel, LRGB, Ha Sii Oiii and Dark frame filters
Software - APT, PS2, ASPS, PHD2, BYE, ASCOM, Stellarium, PI, PS.
Sky - Bortle 5