Let's see your reports!
prowler75
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

If you can't beat'em, join'em

Post by prowler75 »

Hello Friends,

The long range weather forecast showed this evening to be the only clear night to be expected for the next 10+ days so I had to get some observing in. Only problem is that my arch nemesis, the moon, is currently 94% illuminated which pretty much eliminated on anything DSO...So I figure if you can't beat'em, join'em. :lol:

For this evening's session I decided to pull out my big 5" refractor on the EXOS2-GT mount. I haven't used this setup in quite sometime and I was quite excited to pull it out. Alignment of the EQ mount wasn't much of a factor since my target was pretty obvious so I just eyeballed things and slewed the scope manually.

Wow! I had forgotten the crisp views this scope delivers. Even though it is an achromat I didn't notice any bothersome CA. What I did notice was sharp clear details on the lunar surface.

I spent some time just taking in the view though the ES 18mm eyepiece (67x magnification) and letting my eye adjust to the brightness of everything. One day I am going to invest in a simple moon filter. After a few minutes I bumped the magnification up to 109x with my 11mm eyepiece and started to dive into some details. Here is quick list of craters I spent some time focusing in on:

Tycho - Obvious target. I found it neat to trace along the ejecta lines extended out in the Mare Nubium
Schickard Crater with adjoining Lehmann Crater stood out quite nicely
Moving up top Pythagoras Crater with its mountain in the center showed nice detail as well.
There were many others, but I wasn't taking any notes so I put my iPad with my moon app down and just enjoyed the views.

Afterwards, to test out how washed out the sky was I moved the scope over to M42 for what was one of the most pathetic views I have ever had of this longtime favorite. The Trapezium showed up well enough, but most of the nebulosity was washed out with the moon not far away.

Before I called it a night I decided to attach my DLSR on and captured a couple of wider shots of the moon just for the heck of it. I haven't figured out posting images on this forum quite yet so I'll post them later.

Overall it was a great evening out, even if I was "forced" to spend my time viewing only the moon. I could have spent some time hunting double stars, but I wasn't about to attempt star hopping thing with my barely aligned EQ mount. I love this scope, but I have figured that aside from using it for planetary photos I have no use for doing visual astronomy with an electronically powered EQ mount. This is just my personal opinion, but I don't like using goto at all and much prefer star hopping my own way to targets. This got me thinking that I think my next project might have to be building some kind of simple dobson'ish ALT/AZ style mount for this scope so I can simply plop it down in the yard and go right into observing without using any electronics. More to come on that, I do have at least a week of clouds in the forecast so it could be a good time for a little DIY project. I already have some ideas I am kicking around in my head on this. I am also thinking it would be fun to re-run through all of the Messier's with this scope well.

Anyway, that was my night out with good old Luna. Thanks for checking out my brief report of tonight's observing!

Clear Skies My Friends!

Craig
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
Binoculars: Oberwerk 15x70
Don Quixote

Re: If you can't beat'em, join'em

Post by Don Quixote »

Thank you Craig for your fine observing report !
The moon has a great deal to offer.
I am glad you got out and enjoyed your clear sky.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Sounds like a nice Lunar session Craig.

With a minimal effort EXOS2 GT can be converted to a manual mount. You just need to get the worm gears with slow motion cables. Last time I checked ES store had a few.

Then, you can set the mount into AltAz mode and enjoy simple and stable platform for your frac.

ES 127APO-Asmall.jpg
127CF-e.jpg
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Nice moonin', Craig. :)

With my increasing LP and eternally crap transparency, the Moon and I have learned to tolerate each other. :lol:

I like to do my moon snaps:

Yeah, I feel wormy observing with GOTO also. My AVX is a great mount and I really like it. And as long as it is well balanced, I enjoy unlimbering the clutches and star-hopping with it (not not in the bright moonlight). :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Nothing like viewing with a big refractor :)
You should have used your Orthos!
Good you managed to get some viewing in at least.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

Thanks for sharing your observations Craig. The moon is a great target worthy of our attention, so much to see, up the magnification for a real up close experience.
Ivan
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice report Craig!

Yeah, we have to get out when we can, even with the big moon and crappy skies.

The AR 127 sounds like a great scope. Glad that you are enjoying it.

Thanks for sharing your evening!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:04 am Sounds like a nice Lunar session Craig.

With a minimal effort EXOS2 GT can be converted to a manual mount. You just need to get the worm gears with slow motion cables. Last time I checked ES store had a few.

Then, you can set the mount into AltAz mode and enjoy simple and stable platform for your frac.

ES 127APO-Asmall.jpg

127CF-e.jpg
Thanks Andrey!

Great Idea, I never thought about swapping out the motors and making it completely manual. I've set mine up very similar and used the controller to move the scope, but there is just something I don't like about using electronics and motors when I am doing visual astronomy. (Again, this just my preference so I am not hating on anyone who feels differently.) I guess this came from me cutting my teeth in this hobby with a manual dob! :lol:
Craig
Telescopes: Zhumell Z12, Orion XT8, Explore Scientific FL-AR127/1200, Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102, Tasco 8v
Eyepieces: GSO 30mm, Explore Scientific 70° 25mm, 82° 18mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.5mm. KK Orthos 12mm and 9mm
prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

bladekeeper wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:08 am Nice moonin', Craig. :)

With my increasing LP and eternally crap transparency, the Moon and I have learned to tolerate each other. :lol:

Yeah, I feel wormy observing with GOTO also. My AVX is a great mount and I really like it. And as long as it is well balanced, I enjoy unlimbering the clutches and star-hopping with it (not not in the bright moonlight). :lol:
Nice moon snaps, Bryan!

I don't think mine compares! I had to play around with the ISO due to the brightness and it's been a while since I put a camera on a telescope. :lol:

Anyway, here it the first: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186415935@N06/904J54
Craig
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

prowler75 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:16 pm
bladekeeper wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:08 am Nice moonin', Craig. :)

Nice moon snaps, Bryan!

I don't think mine compares! I had to play around with the ISO due to the brightness and it's been a while since I put a camera on a telescope. :lol:

Anyway, here it the first: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186415935@N06/904J54

Nicely done! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

prowler75
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by prowler75 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:32 am Nothing like viewing with a big refractor :)
I said that exact same thing when I was putting my eyepieces back in the case! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS. Anyone know of a way to do multiple quotes in one reply like we were able to on the other site???
Craig
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

prowler75 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:20 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:32 am Nothing like viewing with a big refractor :)
I said that exact same thing when I was putting my eyepieces back in the case! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS. Anyone know of a way to do multiple quotes in one reply like we were able to on the other site???
Yes! Go first to full editor mode then select the posts you wish to quote.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice moonie evening Craig. Glad that you were able to get some viewing in.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice deal Craig, good for you! Man, I'd even be happy to see the Moon right now, let alone anything else. At least you got some time out as well :D

Hope all is good with you and looking forward to the pics!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Very nice report Craig!

If its a clear night, just good to get scope out and observe, even with a full moon. I was itching to do so this evening, had it not been for some office work I needed to complete (from home).

I've never used an EQ mount electronically, even though I bought a motor for one of my mounts (which remains unused). Otherwise, I don't mind using my Celestron Nexstar GOTO for doing "casual" observing from my light-polluted front driveway. Otherwise, all of my "serious" observing is done with a manual EQ mount.

Haven't observed from home (my front driveway) since the end of April last year...
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

Nice report Craig.
Thank you for sharing your session.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter