TSS Photo of the Day

Orion in Hallandale

Post by Kanadalainen »

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 2.20.47 PM.png
A very much elevated Orion

December 27, 2019

9:30 PM
Conditions - Partially cloudy with on the beach at Hallandale, Florida
25*C, breezy, looking east out over the ocean in front of our apartment.
Naked eye visual observation.

++++++++

I was visiting family in Florida this past Christmas, and we met our kids and parents there for a week's holiday.

My wife and I went for a stroll on the beach and I noted Orion to the East, and described some of its major stars, the "dagger", the nebulae associated with that, as well some of the location of the surrounding DSO's.

My daughter wandered down to the beach and I pointed out Betelgeuse, Bellatrix, Saiph and Rigel, nearby NGC 2244.

After pointing out the rough locale of the Rosette and tried to tell them how lovely this DSO looks in long exposure.

I knew these DSOs would be markedly elevated in the sky with respect to my "home" skies, but in the moment, I should say that I was shocked at the elevation!!

I had no equipment to sketch or even to get a better look with Binos, but we had a lot of fun... its so weird to be observing with a t-shirt and jogging shorts in December. :P

Thanks for reading to the bottom.
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Orion in Hallandale

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice stargazing session Ian!

I always have binos with me. 8x40 don't take much room, but even with those one can catch quite few targets.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Thanks Andrey,

I would have liked to pack em. But my case was stuffed with Christmas gifts and my wife’s stuff. Her suitcase was over the weight restriction. :lol:
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Very nice naked-eye observing in Florida with family, Ian.

You can see a lot of Southern Hemisphere goodies in Florida, especially down on the peninsular side, that you can't see from the Far North (or even from Southern California for that matter). It'd be fun to do some serious observing (with a grab-and-go telescope) the next time you are vacationing there.

Always a bit shocking to see familiar constellations placed higher (or lower) in the sky when observing from a latitude markedly different from home. From Brisbane, Orion is upside down...
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Good stuff, Ian! Thanks for sharing the experience with us! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Did you happen to catch Canopus? I'm pretty sure it was well above the horizon once when I was in the Tampa area. Didn't have any charts or anything with me though.

What software did you use to generate your map? I like that format.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Kanadalainen wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:17 pm Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 2.20.47 PM.pngA very much elevated Orion

December 27, 2019

++++++++

I was visiting family in Florida this past Christmas, and we met our kids and parents there for a week's holiday.

My wife and I went for a stroll on the beach and I noted Orion to the East, and described some of its major stars, the "dagger", the nebulae associated with that, as well some of the location of the surrounding DSO's.

My daughter wandered down to the beach and I pointed out Betelgeuse, Bellatrix, Saiph and Rigel, nearby NGC 2244.

After pointing out the rough locale of the Rosette and tried to tell them how lovely this DSO looks in long exposure.

I knew these DSOs would be markedly elevated in the sky with respect to my "home" skies, but in the moment, I should say that I was shocked at the elevation!!

I had no equipment to sketch or even to get a better look with Binos, but we had a lot of fun... its so weird to be observing with a t-shirt and jogging shorts in December. :P

I had a similar moment when I moved down here. The one I noted most was Sagittarius. In my old home it rides very low and is often buried in the trees or just above them. Down here it comes up very high. They'd be great skies for observing - if there wasn't so much cursed skyglow.
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:23 pm Did you happen to catch Canopus? I'm pretty sure it was well above the horizon once when I was in the Tampa area. Didn't have any charts or anything with me though.

What software did you use to generate your map? I like that format.
Hi,

I didn't look for Canopus... it was a kind of an outreach session, prompted only by my recognition of Orion, which this year I have seen so little of. :)

Aside from that, there are so many objects that would have been rather exotic to have been seen., next time I will come prepared.

The software I use is Sky Safari 6 Pro, its versatile. I also rig it to my dob with Nexus II, which is an amazing push to set up.
Ian

Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Don Alvarez wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:33 pm
Kanadalainen wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:17 pm Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 2.20.47 PM.pngA very much elevated Orion

December 27, 2019

++++++++

I had a similar moment when I moved down here. The one I noted most was Sagittarius. In my old home it rides very low and is often buried in the trees or just above them. Down here it comes up very high. They'd be great skies for observing - if there wasn't so much cursed skyglow.
I forgot about Sagittarius, such a rich part of the sky.
The coast is lit! No, I mean its light polluted essentially to the point wherein its like any major downtown sight. This is slightly alleviated looking east (seaward).
Ian

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session...and great that you had a clear night in Florida! It's always cloudy or raining when I make my trips to Florida to visit my daughter!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein