Observing report November 27, 2019

Let's see your reports!
MrCit United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Observing report November 27, 2019

Post by MrCit »

With the car packed for a family roadtrip from suburban Chicago to Clarksville, Tennessee, there was--as usual for these excursions--very little room for astronomy supplies. No worries. That's why I have my grab-and-go/pack-and-go setup: an ST80 (Meade Adventure Scope 80) and a small camera tripod (ZoMei Q666). The scope fits in a small backpack and the tripod folds down to fit in its own small case. I keep a few Celestron Plossels in the bag with the scope, so I am always ready to go.

We approached Northern Tennessee right around sunset, and the tiny sliver of new moon arcing towards the horizon with Jupiter and Venus made a beautiful sight off to the right of the car. The moon was still hovering above the horizon when we arrived, but the sky would have to wait until after the car was unpacked, dinner eaten, and everyone settled into my sister's house.

Around 7:30, the sky was still clear and noticeably darker than from my back yard in Chicagoland. I snuck out to see what I could see. While the sky was darker here than at home, the surrounding porch lights and street lights were more inconveniently placed than in my own backyard. Well, you can't have everything.

I started by looking for Andromeda (M31), which was located almost straight overhead. I was struggling to manipulate the scope, which I have on rings and a dovetail, mounted side-saddle on the ball-head tripod. About that time my sister came out to see what I was up to. Right away she noticed and asked about the hazy patch appearing half way up the eastern sky--the Pleiades. I was happy to point the scope in that direction and be rescued from my zenith frustrations. The whole cluster was framed nicely through a 32 mm eyepiece. My sister enjoyed the view, and I convinced her to get out her binoculars and try looking through them. She was pleased with the result.

I moved down and to the left to find the Starfish cluster (M38) in Auriga. It was a hazy patch, only partially resolved through the 32 mm eyepiece. I tried a 5 mm but didn't think it was an improvement.

By then having gotten more used to the setup, I was ready to try again for Andromeda and show off another "wow" object. This time I found it without too much trouble. It was a hazy brightness, and I thought I could see some elongation. M32, which I can easily spot from home through my 8 inch dob eluded the ST80. The view itself was, of course, not that wowing until you consider that you are looking outside of the Milky Way at a whole different galaxy. I shared my favorite analogy: all the stars we see in the sky are in the Milky Way. Looking at the starry sky is like standing in Nashville (to make the analogy local) and seeing all the lights of the city. But when we look at Andromeda, that is like standing in Nashville and looking out and seeing the distant glow of Chicago.

By then I noticed Orion rising and could not resist showing off one of the best objects in the sky. The entire sword fit in the view through the 32 mm eyepiece, and the Great Nebula (M42) showed its smoky C shape at 80X.

We then went over a few of the brightest constellations--Cassiopeia, Auriga, and Pegasus--and we located the North Star. I tried briefly to split it, but to no avail.

Now on the subject of double stars, and seeking some redemption, I pointed to Gamma Andromedae (Almach). Through a 5 mm eyepiece it was nicely split into the bright orange primary and the dimmer blue secondary. Such a lovely pair, it really lives up to its reputation, even using a modest instrument like a short 80 mm achromatic refractor.

That pretty much did it, as were getting a little chilly, and I was satisfied with our tour of the Greatest Hits. I was glad to have this little grab-and-go setup that can I throw in the car for pretty much any trip.
Telescopes: Orion Skyline 8 in. dob, Celestron Nexstar 6SE, Explore Scientific AR102 on Twilight I, Celestron 90GT 90 mm f/10 refractor, ST80 (Meade Adventure).
Eyepieces: ES 82° 30 mm, 18 mm; Celestron X-Cel LX 12 mm, 9 mm, 7 mm, 5 mm, Baader Classic Ortho 6 mm.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing report November 27, 2019

Post by bladekeeper »

A pleasant outing and sharing of the views with your sister. Thanks a bunch for taking us there. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

That sounds like a nice time with a fun little scope! Nice list of targets too. And sometimes portability beats aperture... :D

All the best and welcome to TSS,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice session and report MrCit! I appreciate including Almach in the mix.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

A very pleasant outing, a good thing you brought the small refractor with you!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.