Halo

Let's see your reports!
Don Quixote
Articles: 0

Halo

Post by Don Quixote »

On this night, October 7, 2019 the air is chill, transparency is very good, seeing is above average.
20191008_002205.jpg
The moon is illuminated about 73%.

Encircling the orb is the most beautiful Halo. It is an illusive light with the moon in the center of the dark space. I cannot stop looking.

As I dwell here, there reveals a blue tinted interior line of circumference graduated to a deep purple exterior line, a single bullseye ring, a muted rain bow refracting 2 colors encircling the moon.

This has literally stopped me in my tracks.

It is a smoky halo. It is the thickness of almost 1° from blue to purple fringe approximately 8° on diameter.

Through the binoculars it will not reveal. Slightly averted vision enhances the view several fold.

As I take a turn with the 10X30 Swaros along the terminator Copurnicus is dazzling. North, I scan from Plato to Bliss and follow the range over Plato M, PlatoY, and Plato B to the edge and darkness over Oceanus Procellarum and Mare Frigoris.

A flock of Canada Geese startles my view as it crosses the moon, magnificent, obscuring the brilliance for a moment. It is more beautiful than the airliner I once observed making a similar passage a year ago.

And the cacophony of the flight waxes and wanes like the dopler affect as they pass and the sound fades.

This has been a remarkable experience for me tonight.

I had other plans. The AR152 in the van with all my kit never reached the ground.

I spent an hour watching this halo as the colors fluctuated, thickening and shrinking until finally it was no more.

I hope you all have a clear skies soon.

Cheers, and Peace.
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Halo

Post by Kanadalainen »

Magical stuff, thanks for sharing.
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Very nice observations.
I know the feeling. Observing with binoculars while my telescope was right next to me. When I finally turned to the telescope, it was a water drop.
Those halo's can be very demanding attention.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

John Baars wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:02 pm Very nice observations.
I know the feeling. Observing with binoculars while my telescope was right next to me. When I finally turned to the telescope, it was a water drop.
Those halo's can be very demanding attention.
This view did demand my attention, John.

I was on my way to view with Henry at another location. I never made it. I called Henry to ask if he could see the halo. He told me he could not. This frustrated me as I wanted him to see it.
I discovered today as I read about this phenomenon that it is not necessarily visible from all points. The refracting ice crystals must be aligned in some way to the angle of the observer for the observation to be made.
It was well worth the time spent as I had never seen this in such a bold display.
Thank you John.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

That's cool Mark! I've had the opportunity a couple times to see that effect, and with the skies you had, I'm sure it was more stunning than anything I've seen from the city.

Yeah, those Canada Geese can be noisy buggers. Late August to late September, they're heading out from here, across Lake Ontario for warmer climes. I sit out and night, and I can't see 'em, but I sure hear 'em! :lol:

BTW, your package should get to you Friday, it looks like. Unless customs can't figure out what it is :lol: Yep, Sarah's looking forward to what you made; showed her the pic...:D

You have a good night my friend!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I thought you are just saying "Hello" British style. :D

Neat phenomenon. I see halos on occasion but I don't believe I noticed colors in the past.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Beautiful view through the binocs, Mark!

I'm in Hawaii right now, but no binocs or scope with me...
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

A Magical Moon night, Mark! Thank you very much for sharing the experience with us. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100