Too Much Glass

Let's see your reports!
Don Quixote
Articles: 0

Too Much Glass

Post by Don Quixote »

Last night, Thursday, Oct 3-4, Hankmeister and I were at it again in Penfield.

This was our sky:
Screenshot_20191003-220143_Samsung Internet.jpg

Per usual Henry images while I attempted to take the pleasure tour of the Milky Way.

But here was my problem.
I brought a 3 inch shore gun to a squirrel shoot. You would think I could be very successful, but I brought too much glass !

You might scratch your head and say to yourself...
"Mark is nuts. How can an astronomer bring too much glass into the field?"

Well, a 10 inch SCT with at most a 40mm long plossl aimed at M45 is not altogether satisfying. Granted I was able to look down the throat of the Merope Nebula, count hairs in the Maia Nebula, and split HD23463, but I could not see the Pleiades!

It felt odd to me.

I went on to dig deeply into M42 and although unable to resolve the e and f stars in the Trapizium due I believe to the poor seeing I was able to enjoy the dense nebulosity winging away into NGC1975.

I was regretting I had not loaded my f/6.5 AR152 into the van. I wanted to put the Meade 10" through more paces after flocking and adding the nice dew shield Henry gave me and had not considered the whole picture very well.

I made the best of things and eventually resolved satisfactorily M77, Cetus A, although this target was very dim and intermittant in direct vision. Averted vision was steady on this mag 9 Spiral Galaxy in Cetus. On the plus side I believe I have only caught this once before. I remember it being more of a "thing" on that occasion so it must have been in 2017 when I last had both "seeing" and "transparency" working for me. I know I did not understand these considerations at that time and took them to be normal. I have since been school in the gymnasium of scintillating stars and foggy light scattered skies. At least I can intelligently complain now, although it never seems to change the sky no matter how I might be provoked to curse it. 😊

As I worked my Meade I also took some pleasure from the Theta 1 and Theta 2, Tau a and b, the double stars in the middle of the Haydes cluster in Taurus. These two were very sharp and color contrasted to the surrounding field of the Haydes. They resolved a fire blue color, similar to the fire blueing on a classic firearm. That is what the color reminded me of. It was almost a whitish fire blue. They were visually dominant in this contrast and a nice view for me.

The final view and a remarkable one to my was a nebula I stumbled over in my attempt to catch a visual of the HorseHead very near Alnitak. Here is where my frustration mounted.

As I mentioned earlier, I had chained myself to the field of view in the glass at hand. This precluded any broader view so as to identify this nebulosity. The binoculars, Swaro 10X30, which I always bring out could not resolve this object. I did a sketch.
20191004_100620.jpg
I have since searched my Atlases and can find no star pattern to match. The stars in the nebulous field must be over mag 9.

I may sound a bit spiky here in my report but I did enjoy myself. And Henry and I ate apples and almonds as our snack. I wish I had brought coffee as well. The outing for me lasted from 10 pm Oct 3 to 3:45 am Oct 4. At the end, although I loathed packing up with another hour of potentially good sky, I was becoming disoriented and dizzy.

So that is my report for Thursday. Oct 3-4 2019

Thank you.
I hope you have been able to get out !
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Too Much Glass

Post by Hankmeister3 »

So, you got a little "disoriented and dizzy", eh?

That's what you get for eating that last apple and chasing it down with almonds and having too much glass and having too much fun on top of that, sir! Heh.

BTW, what do you think of those images of the Trapezium we shot through your "big glass" right before you tore down? I thought they were decent for an afterthought. You ought to post one.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Awesome that you two are able to be "in the field" together!
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Too much glass - no way. In fact not enough glass. You went out armed with only your driver (your big gun), you should have also taken a 5-iron, a wedge, and a putter. Meaning, at the very least, you should have taken a pair of binos with you.

Glad you had fun, cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

JayTee wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:58 am Too much glass - no way. In fact not enough glass. You went out armed with only your driver (your big gun), you should have also taken a 5-iron, a wedge, and a putter. Meaning, at the very least, you should have taken a pair of binos with you.

Glad you had fun, cheers,
JT
Well said, TJ.
Indeed !

I have learned my lesson. 😊
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Mark,

Its really nice to have a good friend to share your hobby with. It would be really nice to have someone to talk with and share views.

My son is staying with us for a few months and he does come out and visit me when I'm setting the scope up and later when I'm imaging. Its really nice to share some talk about night sky stuff under the night sky!

Enjoy and please continue to share your outings!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

:x
Juno16 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:26 am Hi Mark,

Its really nice to have a good friend to share your hobby with. It would be really nice to have someone to talk with and share views.

My son is staying with us for a few months and he does come out and visit me when I'm setting the scope up and later when I'm imaging. Its really nice to share some talk about night sky stuff under the night sky!

Enjoy and please continue to share your outings!

Thanks,
Jim
Thank you Jim.
I hope my posts are not boring.
I enjoy sharing the times with other similar minded folk.
I hope you have clear skies.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Ok. You win Henry. 😊

The Trapizium and some nebulosity. 8 sec at 1600..

A CRAZY shot, from the hip, through the f/10 Meade SCT. Image scale for our conditions was rediculous, wind, bad seeing, and two old duffer neanderthals trying to figure out how to use the remote on the camera. 😊
Attachments
20191004_215830.jpg
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Nice reporting, Mark!

Ah, 2017! How I miss the skies of 2017. 2018 started the downward spiral here and 2019 has suckled hind teat so far. Hopefully we both have clear vision in 2020 (see what I did there?)

Anyway, congrats on the night to both yourself and Henry!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

bladekeeper wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:57 am Nice reporting, Mark!

Ah, 2017! How I miss the skies of 2017. 2018 started the downward spiral here and 2019 has suckled hind teat so far. Hopefully we both have clear vision in 2020 (see what I did there?)

Anyway, congrats on the night to both yourself and Henry!
2020 vision will be a fine thing Bryan.
We are due. 😊
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

So is wishing for clear skies for 2020 akin to receiving new astro gear in the mail? The cloud-gods will hear you and make you pay for the blasphemy!

Trepidatiously,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Very fine report Mark!

At least you had your 10 x 30 binoculars at hand. I now appreciate the value of binoculars after RTMC 2019.

Had a look at M27 with a 8-10" SCT at that star party; first time I was able see the central star (around mag. 13.8).

Haven't had my scopes out since May - should at least take a look at the planets.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

JayTee wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:50 am So is wishing for clear skies for 2020 akin to receiving new astro gear in the mail? The cloud-gods will hear you and make you pay for the blasphemy!

Trepidatiously,
JT
I defy the cloud god ! 😊
2020 vision !
Yessss!
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

terrynak wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:00 am Very fine report Mark!

At least you had your 10 x 30 binoculars at hand. I now appreciate the value of binoculars after RTMC 2019.

Had a look at M27 with a 8-10" SCT at that star party; first time I was able see the central star (around mag. 13.8).

Haven't had my scopes out since May - should at least take a look at the planets.
Thank you Terry.

I do hope you can get out under some satisfying skies soon.
It is one of the most refreshing things I do.
And yes, binoculars are true friends.😊
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Interesting. I was going to try for M77 from home, but if it was barely visible at Penfield, I'm not going to see jack.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:17 pm Interesting. I was going to try for M77 from home, but if it was barely visible at Penfield, I'm not going to see jack.
It was very dim.
I am going to try it again with my 152 frac. This week if the weather holds.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. Another fun read report from you. But, you can never have enough good quality glass.
:greetings-clappingorange:
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Makuser wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:33 pm Hi Mark. Another fun read report from you. But, you can never have enough good quality glass.
:greetings-clappingorange:
Of course one can never have too much glass.😊

I always want MORE!
Thank you Marshall.
Arctic
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arctic »

Haha! The only time there is "too much glass" is when it is bone-cracking cold outside, and the telescope never gets down to the ambient air temperature. The scope can't catch up with the falling mercury, or the observer freezes to death before equilibrium is attained!
Gordon
Scopes: Meade LX10 8" SCT, Explore Scientific AR102 Refractor on ES Twilight 1 Mount, Oberwerks 15X70 Binos, Nikon Action Extreme 10X50 Binos.
Eyepieces: ES 68* 24mm, ES 68* 20mm, ES 82* 11mm, ES 82* 8.8mm
Observing: Messier Objects--110/110, H1 Objects-- 400/400. Hundreds of additional NGC Objects. Significant Comets: Kohoutek, West, Halley, Hyakatake, Hale-Bopp, McNair, Neowise. Transits of Mercury and Venus.
2017 Total Solar Eclipse
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

:lol: "Two duffer Neanderthals"

Funny when you think about the fact they must have seen the Pleiades and Merope too, thousands of years ago. I wonder what they were thinking about it, I think a special meaning, maybe the beginning of the Winter-season or even much deeper thoughts...
I don't think they were philosophizing about too much glass....

Thanks for your nice and readable report.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.