Observing Report for 29 September 2019 - now that was funny!

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 29 September 2019 - now that was funny!

Post by kt4hx »

As with the evening before, after coming on duty I stepped outside to see a clear sky with only a few little clouds off to the west. I didn’t have anything pressing for a bit so I carted my gear outside to let it acclimate. The 6 inch newt was placed atop the Twilight-I mount and the ES 82 18mm (42x) and Pentax XW 10mm/7mm (76x/106x) eyepieces were ready to go. The IDSA was spread out on the side of a large elevated concrete planter just outside the front door and my butt nestled into a small wooden chair. I then turned to chart 87 in the atlas to begin what I hoped would be a decent outing for a second consecutive night.

Aiming the Rigel Quikfinder at mag 2.0 Beta Ceti (Diphda) riding just a little south of the zenith, I slithered southward to a bright pair of triangular asterisms near the Cetus-Sculptor border. Here I began my evening as I eased gently into northern Sculptor.

NGC 253 (Sculptor, barred spiral galaxy, mag=7.2, size=27.5’x6.8’, SBr=12.7):
Given the poor showing this bright showpiece galaxy provided back on 07 September due to abysmal transparency, I decided to hit it first to see what I was dealing with this evening. Using the southernmost of the two triangles mentioned in the preceding paragraph, I quickly found the field and at 42x could easily see the somewhat large and diffuse envelope of this barred spiral. Not exceedingly bright mind you but much more clearly seen inside a triangle of 8th and 9th mag field stars.

It was elongated and narrow. What I could see of its full extent was limited but its central core region displayed a definite broad brightness along its major axis. Taking a look at 76x brought out just a little more of its dimmer extensions and boosted the central lens of brightness around its core. Then at 106x the galaxy took on a very subtle mottled appearance, though nothing near as prominently so as one would expect under dark conditions. Still, all in all, it was much easier to see this time out – an encouraging sign. :)

NGC 288 (Sculptor, globular cluster, mag=8.1, size=13.8, class=10):
This globular has never been a showpiece, though from our dark site in the 10 inch it is pretty impressive. As with the previous observation of it with the 6 inch earlier this month it was a small and round subtle homogenous glow regardless of the magnification. Though at 76x, and especially 106x, it was more apparent.

NGC 613 (Sculptor, barred spiral galaxy, mag=10.1, size=5.5’x4.2’, SBr=13.2):
I nudged SSE from NGC 288 to mag 4.3 Alpha Sculptoris, and then swept east just over 7° to pick up a reversed “L” pattern of stars lying on its side. Mag 5.7 Tau Sculptoris lies at the eastern end of the long leg of this pattern. Centering the field between it and mag 7.0 HD 9650 to its NNW, I focused my attention next to a mag 9.6 field star looking for this galaxy. I suspected a subtle small diffuse brightening in the field, but could not be certain. Trying at 76x I caught intermittent glimpses of a small slight oval of homogenous light at the same position as I suspected at 42x. However, I noted that some thin clouds were starting to sweep across the field. So I waited a few seconds before moving on to 106x, and confirmed the galaxy’s presence just south of the field star (HD 9693). Not strong in the field, but definitely there. (New)

At this point, after having been observing about 30 to 40 minutes, I had something that I had to take care of inside, so I left my equipment deployed under a mostly clear sky. I was not able to return until about 90 minutes later. However, in my absence, the cloud demons conferred amongst themselves and apparently deemed that one new object for the night was sufficient. The sky was solidly socked in, reflecting back the lights of the city with exceptional ferocity! So unceremoniously I gathered my toys and retreated from the field. The cloud cover was as good as its word as it remained intact until the light of day enveloped our location.

So there it was, short, sorta sweet and definitely to the point! Thanks as always for traipsing along with, and until next time, keep looking up! :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 29 September 2019 - now that was funny!

Post by bladekeeper »

Well, one more for the log book! :lol:

That's what you call a 1/3 Gopher session.

To quote Ulysses Everett McGill: No, thank you, Delmar. A third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without beddin' her back down. :D

Darn clouds.
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

bladekeeper wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:21 am Well, one more for the log book! :lol:

That's what you call a 1/3 Gopher session.

To quote Ulysses Everett McGill: No, thank you, Delmar. A third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without beddin' her back down. :D

Darn clouds.
One solitary more - indeed! I think in this case it was a game of whack-a-alan! :lol:

Gotta love Delmar, a man of principle (of some sort) and highly refined ignorance!

Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for your nice report!
I loved your story about NGC 253 in Sculptor.
It is an almost impossible object for me, as it comes no higher than 10 degrees above the horizon in my LP skies. Still, as a youngster, it was a resource of inspiration for me. Maybe one day with exceptional transparency..
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:08 am Thanks for your nice report!
I loved your story about NGC 253 in Sculptor.
It is an almost impossible object for me, as it comes no higher than 10 degrees above the horizon in my LP skies. Still, as a youngster, it was a resource of inspiration for me. Maybe one day with exceptional transparency..
Thank you John. I figured NGC 253 would be a tough one for you there. At our dark site back in the US, which is at about 38° latitude, it rises about 25° above the horizon. With no significant LP sources present it is quite impressive. In the 10 inch it was very large in angular extent and displayed heavy mottling across its disk due to the variations in light and dark caused by its multiple dark lanes. The central region was exceedingly bright and presented a sizeable inner lens. It is truly one of the most impressive galaxies in the sky when seen to advantage. I do hope you have an opportunity one day to see it in such a manner. :)
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Short but sweet!

The Silver Coin galaxy (NGC 253) is indeed very impressive under the right conditions. "Huge bright and gorgeous, too big for 36mm EP FOV, almost edge-on with well defined brighter core" my notes from 2016 say. :)

NGC 288 was not too bad either: "large in 20mm (100x) somewhat irregular shape, core resolved, some dark banding and some glow, neat looking."
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:52 pm Short but sweet!

The Silver Coin galaxy (NGC 253) is indeed very impressive under the right conditions. "Huge bright and gorgeous, too big for 36mm EP FOV, almost edge-on with well defined brighter core" my notes from 2016 say. :)

NGC 288 was not too bad either: "large in 20mm (100x) somewhat irregular shape, core resolved, some dark banding and some glow, neat looking."
Thanks for the comparative descriptions Andrey. Another galaxy that I've always enjoyed is NGC 2841 in Ursa Major. Plus, I've always been surprised that neither Messier or Mechain ever spotted NGC 2903 in the head of Leo - now that is a fine galaxy! :)
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Some nice catches Alan. I hope you can get out again soon. The last two nights have been clear here but I am recovering from a strained back I sustained three days ago carrying stuff out of the garage. Can't lift much. Old age (I'll be 50 in March!) is starting to creep in, unfortunately.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:34 pm Some nice catches Alan. I hope you can get out again soon. The last two nights have been clear here but I am recovering from a strained back I sustained three days ago carrying stuff out of the garage. Can't lift much. Old age (I'll be 50 in March!) is starting to creep in, unfortunately.
Thank you Michael. It has been a tough trip as far as observing goes. Lots of cloudiness, rain, poor seeing and transparency frequently. But those are all things we have no control over anyway.

Good luck with your back. Yeah, aging can be a real pain in the back and many other places as well! I am 65 and I can't lie to you - it doesn't get any better! :lol:
Alan

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

You did get a couple of views and one new Galaxy, but sorry that your evening was swallowed up by clouds. It is definitely disappointing being excited to get out and see the skies clear used over.
Nice report! Looking forward to your next viewing session and report!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:11 pm You did get a couple of views and one new Galaxy, but sorry that your evening was swallowed up by clouds. It is definitely disappointing being excited to get out and see the skies clear used over.
Nice report! Looking forward to your next viewing session and report!

Thanks,
Jim
Thank you Jim. That has been the general theme this time around. Lots of clouds, rain, generally poor conditions - quite challenging. At least no mosquitoes have bothered me! :lol: I am just anxious to get home where more observing opportunities will be available at our dark site. :)
Alan