Observing Report for 28 September 2019 - picking a little lint from the sky

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 28 September 2019 - picking a little lint from the sky

Post by kt4hx »

I have been pretty much MIA for a time now as conditions at my location just south of the equator have been, well, let’s just say rather poor. Clouds have been even more abundant than normal plus we seemed to slip into a minor rainy period. Inquiring of the local staff, I was told that we’ve been experiencing more rain than typical for this time of year. Given that I brought a scope with me that is nothing more than I would expect! :)

So this evening after coming on duty and with things very quiet, I decided to step outside about 0200 to see what was happening since it was not raining. The sky was totally clear, which has been a rarity since I’ve been here. Stepping around the corner of the house looking east I could easily see Orion slightly inclined on its head as it rose in the east. Sirius, Canopus and Achenar all clearly visible though doing the shimmy shake due to atmospheric unsteadiness. I pondered a bit and decided to drag the 6 inch newt out and give it a go for as long as the clouds stayed away. So after the finders and eyepieces acclimated and I got my bearings, I aimed the scope at mag 2.9 Theta1 Eridani (Acamar) and turned to chart 98 in the IDSA to begin my short session.

Nudging westward past Iota Eridani (mag 4.1) into southern Fornax, I gave the barred spiral NGC 986 (mag 10.9) a try. Studying the field for a bit at 42x, 76x and 106x, I could not determine with certainty that I was picking up this one. So, I returned to Acamar and slipped southeast to the mag 4.3 star labeled 82 Eri in the IDSA. North of this star lie a galaxy I observed in January with the 4.5” newt I brought for that trip, so I thought this might be a good test of conditions.

NGC 1291 (Eridanus, barred spiral galaxy with ring, mag=8.5, size=9.8’x8.3’, SBr=13.0):
Nudging NNW from 82 Eri nearly 2° I immediately noticed this slightly large rounded glow at 42x lying NNE of the eastern end of an eyebrow of three field stars. It was diffuse in appearance with a stellar flicker showing in its center. While not exceedingly bright visually, it was still readily seen and even more easily at 76x. Using 106x the center (its bar region) displayed a broader brightness, again with the very intermittent flicker of a stellar core buried within.

IC 2035 (Horologium, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=11.8, size=1.2’x0.9’, SBr=11.6):
Satisfied with the appearance of NGC 1291, I swept eastward nearly 10° into Horologium to pick up the wide pairing of Alpha (mag 3.9) and Delta (mag 4.9) Horologii. Slipping south from Alpha I located a northward pointed triangle of three 6th magnitude stars. Just north of its southwestern corner I studied the field. Using 42x I just barely detected a small and very subtle slight oval of diffuse light. Bumping up to 76x and then 106x, it remained subtle but an unmistakable diffuse patch that also revealed a stellar core in its center. (New)

NGC 1493 (Horologium, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.3, size=2.8’x2.8’, SBr=13.3):
Following a trickle of stars southwest from the triangle I pursued this barred spiral just north of a mag 8.0 field star. Not seen with 42x, it was merely a suspected object at 76x as a round soft puff of dim light. Using 106x it was confirmed as a homogenous small round glow struggling to overcome the weak sky quality. (New)

NGC 1433 (Horologium, spiral galaxy, mag=9.9, size=6.5’x5.9’, SBr=13.5):
Nudging a little west I picked up an obvious triangle of three stars (5th, 6th and 7th mag). This spiral forms a rectangle with these three stars holding down its northwestern corner. I also observed this galaxy back in January with the 4.5 inch, and since it was nearby decided to give a shot this evening. It was not picked up at 42x, but was at 76x as a very dim and small bit of fuzzy light. Taking a look at 106x it appeared somewhat oval in shape but remained dim and homogenous in appearance.

NGC 1567 (Caelum, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.5, size=1.3’x1.3’, SBr=11.8):
Moving back to the east and using the pairing of Alpha and Delta Hor as my guide, I moved to the border with Caelum to a flattened triangle of stars with Delta Caeli (mag 5.1) being its eastern tip. I now nudged south from this pattern to another triangle of three stars (6th and 7th mag) within Caelum, then WSW to a very wide pairing of stars (7th mag), one barely inside Horologium and the other just within Dorado, I studied the field north of the southern most of this pair. This elliptical was not detected at 42x, and was only suspected at 76x. Moving up to 106x I confirmed its presence in the field as a small and dim rounded pip of diffuse light. Intermittently a stellar core popped in and out of view as well. (New)

Looking up I noticed that the clouds had finally made their appearance and this may have added to the difficulty with the final object. Looking at chart 98-left I saw I failed to notice NGC 1527 in Horologium, east of NGC 1567. Hopefully I will get an opportunity to follow up with that one yet during my final three weeks. Anyway, it was still a successful hour of observing despite my less than pristine surroundings. Many thanks for following along and hope you all are getting your fair shot at the night sky. Until next time keep looking up! :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 28 September 2019 - picking a little lint from the sky

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice walk in the southern sky Alan! I was comparing the notes and apparently I managed a few targets in Hor and Cae from Anza, but not the same as yours.

In Caelum I have NGC1679 and 1701 galaxies, and in Horologium NGC1512 galaxy and Slotegraaf 5 asterism.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:25 am Nice walk in the southern sky Alan! I was comparing the notes and apparently I managed a few targets in Hor and Cae from Anza, but not the same as yours.

In Caelum I have NGC1679 and 1701 galaxies, and in Horologium NGC1512 galaxy and Slotegraaf 5 asterism.
Thanks Andrey. I figured from Anza you could dip into parts of Horologium and Caelum. I have observed in Caelum from our dark site and from here, with the log containing the galaxies NGC 1567 and 1679, plus the asterisms Streicher 17, 18 and 19 plus Spano 2. I do plan to use the 17.5 inch at our dark site house to try and ferret out some more galaxies from Caelum. I also have 10 galaxies in Orion, but want to add to that total as well. :)

As for Hogologium the log now has the galaxies IC 2035, NGC 1433 and 1493, globular NGC 1261, plus the asterisms Alessi J0232.4-5127 and J0240.4-5247 as well as Slotegraaf 5 you mentioned. Those were all gathered here with a mix of the ED80, 4.5 and 6 inch newts during my various trips.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Nice observations.
NGC 1292 must have been pretty breathtaking I presume.
Thank you for sharing with us.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:49 am Nice observations.
NGC 1292 must have been pretty breathtaking I presume.
Thank you for sharing with us.
Thank you John. Well NGC 1291 was not what I would call breathtaking. Given the less than favorable conditions here (sky glow, ground light intrusion and marine layer). But, nonetheless it was still easy to pick up, and more so than I recall from January with the 4.5 inch. At each aperture level I've used here (80mm to 114mm to 152mm) there is an obvious increase in my ability to dig a little deeper. But I will admit freely that I also wish I had access to more! Being able to routinely observe with 12 inches at home and 17.5 at our dark site, well that kind of spoils you! :lol:
Alan

Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Nicely done Alan. I would very much like to observe NGC 1292 - someday perhaps.

Ian
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Kanadalainen wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:59 pm Nicely done Alan. I would very much like to observe NGC 1292 - someday perhaps.

Ian
Thanks Ian. I wish I could observe NGC 1291 with more aperture and from a darker location. I am quite certain that it would be a real showpiece under those kind of conditions. But, I have to work with what I have, as we all do.

You've been having some wonderful sessions there of late, and reading of your adventures have me looking forward to getting home in three weeks so I can get back over to our dark site! :)
Alan

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Well, good to see you catching the clouds off guard for a bit, Alan. You made good work of it until they corrected their oversight. :)

A very nice short session!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

bladekeeper wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:55 am Well, good to see you catching the clouds off guard for a bit, Alan. You made good work of it until they corrected their oversight. :)

A very nice short session!
Thank you kind sir! I will take any encouragement I can get given how its been. Life is often unfair and unkind, yet we forge ahead, being the masochists that we are! :)
Alan

milanpicard
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by milanpicard »

Good to see you at work, Alan, you are one axis the whole world can spin aroind when they go crazy. Cuz nothing can shake your resolve. I salute you!

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

milanpicard wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:54 pm Good to see you at work, Alan, you are one axis the whole world can spin aroind when they go crazy. Cuz nothing can shake your resolve. I salute you!
Thank you for your kindly Milan. Hope your family is healthy and happy, and that you can get back into regular observing soon. :)
Alan

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Good to see you getting some observing done Alan!

I just pulled up my observing log for the first time in many months - I've only started logging objects in Horologium and Caelum in February this year. All asterisms, obviously. Haven't picked up any new objects this year since April though.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

terrynak wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:55 am Good to see you getting some observing done Alan!

I just pulled up my observing log for the first time in many months - I've only started logging objects in Horologium and Caelum in February this year. All asterisms, obviously. Haven't picked up any new objects this year since April though.
Thank you Terry. Sounds like you are working your way back toward observing again - happy to hear that! :)
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello again Alan. A nice crop of objects from the southern hemisphere. Thanks for your report Alan, and have a safe journey.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:03 pm Hello again Alan. A nice crop of objects from the southern hemisphere. Thanks for your report Alan, and have a safe journey.
Thank you Marshall. Looking forward to getting home! :)
Alan

Falcon 63 Australia
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Falcon 63 »

G'day Alan, it's been a while.
You been jumping my back fence again!
Nice night out.
Telescopes Saxon 10" x 1200 Dobsonian, Bresser 114 x 500 Dobsonian, Saxon 70 x 400 Refractor.
Eyepieces ES 82* 2" 18mm, 1.25" 11mm, GSO 2" 30mm superview, Seben mzt 8-24, Sky Watcher 58* 4mm and various Plossls.
Bino's Saxon 10 x 50, Carton 12 x 50, 10 x 25 ucf.
Other Skywatcher Solar System Imager

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Falcon 63 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:23 pm G'day Alan, it's been a while.
You been jumping my back fence again!
Nice night out.
Hi Wayne, nice to see you over here. Yeah, sorry about not asking permission before crawling over your fence! :lol: But we're old friends and I didn't figure you'd mind. :)

This trip was quit difficult overall as the conditions simply were not very good for the majority of the time. Shame too since I went to the effort to bring a wee bit more aperture. But as you well know, relying on cooperative skies can often be a fool's game.

I am in the process of heading home now, and happy about that. Hope to see you around here a bit more now.
Alan