Short Grab-and-Go.

Let's see your reports!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Short Grab-and-Go.

Post by Bigzmey »

05/07/2023

Equipment: Stellarvue 102mm ED refractor on SW AZGti mount; EPs: TV Delites set.

Last weekend clouds have been playing peekaboo with me. Clear Outside forecast has been changing every few minutes. Finally, it has settled on three hours of clear sky on Sunday evening. I didn’t trust it enough to bother with big guns and decided to go with grab-and-go session.

It has been a while since I have used AZGti mount. My phone has died in between, and the new phone had issues connecting to the mount. It was a weird issue. Superficially, SynScan app on the phone would recognize and connect to the mount. However, when I tried to operate the mount, it would a) respond with delay to directional keys, or b) don’t move at all, or c) would move but in wrong direction (i.e pressing down key would move it down and pressing up key would move it down to). I spent an hour troubleshooting (joy of computerized mounts :lol:). Finally, I decided that it was enough fun and pulled my really old phone (which I keep handy just for such occasions). It has connected to the mount without a glitch.

Once the mount has completed alignment I looked up for targets and discovered that low clouds were creeping in from all directions. Cancer was in the area equally distant from clouded portions and I proceeded with catching a few doubles there.

CANCER DOUBLES

Psi 1 Cnc (BUP 111) – 6.6, 9.3, 8.8, ab80.9”, ac188.4” – despite been a wide triple it was presented nicely at 39x. Fainter silvery B and C components provided a nice contrast to bright rich copper-colored primary.

WRH 27 AB – 7.6, 10.7, 29.1” – nice contrast pair of bright orange main and faint silvery sidekick (65x).

STF 1191 – 10.3, 10.8, 3.5” – this faint close pair of grayish stars was at the limit of SV102ED resolving power. At 143x the dim blob of light clearly had elongated shape. Switching between 4mm (179x) and 3mm (238x) EPs I have managed at the moments of better seeing briefly resolve two faint stars apart with some space in between.

STT 564 – 6.9, 11.0, 10.8, ab106.6”, ac289.3” – another wide triple, nicely presented at lower power. Richly colored golden primary with faint silvery B and C components.

Zeta 1 Cnc (STF 1196) – 5.3, 6.2, 5.8, ab1.2”, ac5.8” – real gem! A must-see triple. A snowman split was achieved for A and B at 238x. They were of bright golden color. C in a small distance was also yellow but of lemon variety.

Zeta 1,2 Cnc system also harbors a few fainter components. I wanted to spend some time observing them but by now the sky was completely overrun by clouds.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Short Grab-and-Go.

Post by kt4hx »

Nice report Andrey, with some neat doubles in Cancer. Interesting issues with your drive/phone connectivity. At least the old phone works well with it, and saved your outing. Well done my friend.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Thank you for the report. I enjoyed reading it. Those clouds must have migrated across the nation. The next night I was just able to observe doubles in Illinois for a couple of hours before clouds covered my sky.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

nice read , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:42 am Nice report Andrey, with some neat doubles in Cancer. Interesting issues with your drive/phone connectivity. At least the old phone works well with it, and saved your outing. Well done my friend.
Thanks Alan! That was indeed very strange. At first I thought mount gears binding after long period of inactivity, but after it has worked perfectly with the old phone I don't know what to think. Same app, same mount, just two different android phones.
jrkirkham wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:16 am Thank you for the report. I enjoyed reading it. Those clouds must have migrated across the nation. The next night I was just able to observe doubles in Illinois for a couple of hours before clouds covered my sky.
Thanks Rob! Those pesky clouds. They just messing with you. :lol:
messier 111 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:15 pm nice read , thx .
Thanks Jean-Yves!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:35 pm Thanks Alan! That was indeed very strange. At first I thought mount gears binding after long period of inactivity, but after it has worked perfectly with the old phone I don't know what to think. Same app, same mount, just two different android phones.

My first thought would be could there be a difference in the version of Android from one phone to the other that causes the older one to play better with the app? If the versions are the same, then possibly how the different phone models interact with the app that causes one to perform better than the other? Just some random thoughts.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:00 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:35 pm Thanks Alan! That was indeed very strange. At first I thought mount gears binding after long period of inactivity, but after it has worked perfectly with the old phone I don't know what to think. Same app, same mount, just two different android phones.

My first thought would be could there be a difference in the version of Android from one phone to the other that causes the older one to play better with the app? If the versions are the same, then possibly how the different phone models interact with the app that causes one to perform better than the other? Just some random thoughts.
For sure there is a difference in Android OS version. At certain point the phone manufacturer stopped providing updates for the OS and once OS has gotten too old it has stopped supporting various apps (banking, maps, etc.) thus forcing me to buy a new phone. On a plus side it works just fine with all astronomy apps I use, so as long as battery lives I am good. :D

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice session Andrey; good for you! I hear you on the tech. I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 11, lots of memory and drive space, and do you know what I still use the most; even now as I'm typing this? My old 2012 desktop running Linux :lol:

Hope you get it sorted with the new phone and thanks for the read!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thefatkitty wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:20 pm Nice session Andrey; good for you! I hear you on the tech. I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 11, lots of memory and drive space, and do you know what I still use the most; even now as I'm typing this? My old 2012 desktop running Linux :lol:

Hope you get it sorted with the new phone and thanks for the read!

All the best,
Thanks Mark! If it ain't broken don't fix it, right? :D

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

I agree Andrey, and add to the fact I'm old and set in my ways :lol: Sometimes older is better; at least that's what I tell myself as I get out of bed in the morning....

Glad to hear your getting back to the desert :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice session Andrey and congratulations on winning today's VROD for your session in Cancer. Hope the connectivity issues with the new phone get resolved....
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Well done, Andrey! Congrats on the VROD!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks Michael and Dave!

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Congratulations on the well deserved VROD Andrey!

Sounds like an amazing evening, despite the technology issues.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Ylem wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:20 pm Congratulations on the well deserved VROD Andrey!

Sounds like an amazing evening, despite the technology issues.
Thanks Jeff!

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Nice report!
Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

John Baars wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:32 am Nice report!
Congratulations on the VROD!
Thanks John!