Observing Report for 27 September 2022 - a limping success

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 27 September 2022 - a limping success

Post by kt4hx »

I hoped to get in at least one observing session this lunar cycle, but I was not certain I would after having a fall at home nearly two weeks ago. Though my right leg and knee are still bothering me a bit, I am able to get around okay for the most part. As often is the case, when one leg is a little weak, the other one has to carry the load. Therefore my left leg is also feeling the strain. So it’s just a matter of taking it slow and being careful how I move around, with no sudden turns. Anyway, conditions were supposed to be passable at the dark site house the evening of the 27th, with some rain having occurred earlier in the day. Knowing the moon would soon be dominating the sky and with rainy weather coming on the weekend courtesy of the remnants of Hurricane Ian, I made a snap decision to head on over to give it a shot.

Upon arrival later in the afternoon, the sky looked questionable. Nonetheless I settled into the house to rest up a bit after the three plus hours confined in the truck, which served to stiffen my legs up a bit. Around 1900 hours I moved the gear from the garage to my normal observing position. It was a little bit more of a struggle for me than typically due to the issues with my right leg. Fortunately the big scope has wheel barrow handles and 10 inch pneumatic tires, so it was not a major problem to get it out there. I again retreated to the house for a little while to get some more rest. I then headed out the door around 2030 hours to begin the session. The waxing crescent moon had sunk behind the tree line west of the house and was of no consequence.

I would begin this session hunting some open clusters in Cygnus using my Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas (IDSA). Then I moved over into Pegasus to finish the evening in pursuit of my favorite objects, galaxies. My guide in that portion of the outing would be my stalwart, the All-Sky Edition of the Uranometria 2000.0 Deep Sky Atlas. The conditions were decent, but not outstanding. There were strands of high thin clouds passing through the sky fairly often, and I battled with the fog off and on prior to midnight. Regardless, things went well and I had a very nice outing outside in the chilly air. The temperatures dropped quickly and by the time I wrapped up close to midnight, it was in the mid-40’s (F) outside, with rising humidity. For this outing, I decided to pull out a trusted eyepiece that I had put away for some time, my ES 82° 18mm. It had been my real workhorse for several years, but had been retired some time ago after I got my Ethos 21mm. For this outing I decided to pull it out of retirement and pass some light through it. Anyway, here is where my journey led me this evening.

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
ES 82 18mm (110x, 0.7° TFOV, 4.0mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

Cygnus

Loiano 1 (open cluster, mag=10.2, size=6.0’):
Per Archinal and Hynes “Star Clusters”, this cluster contains 40 stars. My observation at 199x found about 15 stars across its small field in a vaguely “Y” shaped pattern. The cluster itself is not really detached from the general field and it is not easily discerned in the rich Milky Way field. At least that was the case in the 17.5” at our dark site. (New)

NGC 6871 (open cluster, mag=5.2, size=20.0’):
Observing this large cluster field at 110x, I stopped counting stars at 50 of varying magnitudes. The main thrust of the cluster was a NNE to SSW curve of 10 brighter stars, with the remainder of the field amply strewn with a multitude of suns. The primary stars were nicely detached, while the others were not so much because of the general richness of the larger field. Still a pretty grouping that was easily located. The primary string contained some close doubles which added to its appearance. (New)

Biurakan 1 (open cluster, mag=7.9 size=10.0’):
Immediately east of the previous object I studied the field to make sense of this cluster. At 110x the main three stars formed a triangle with a dimmer curve of stars flowing into the center of the triangle. Overall I counted in excess of 30 stars within the medium sized field that was not significantly detached from buy Milky Way field. (New)

Biurakan 2 (open cluster, mag=6.3, size=20.0’):
A few minutes southeast of Biurakan 1, lay the field of this cluster. I easily spotted over 40 stars with the main pair in the center of the field using 110x. I noted a flattened diamond pattern running east-west across the southern part of the field. I found it better defined and richer than the previous grouping, being fairly well detached and obvious to my eye. (New)

NGC 6883 (open cluster, mag=8.0, size=35.0’):
This large cluster was ferreted out just northeast of the Biurakan pair. Using 110x I counted around 40 to 50 stars dispersed across its dimension that really was not significantly detached from the general field. The dominant feature was a pair of three star curves in its northwestern quadrant. Not really a special cluster. (New)

Ruprecht 172 (open cluster, mag=7.2, size=5.0’):
This cluster lies entirely in the southeastern quadrant of NGC 6883, so they basically share some of the same stars. At 110x I found it more of a dim pip of hazy light next to faint star. Even at 199x I found it mostly hazy with a few pinpricks winking in and out. Dropping in the 7mm (283x) I noted perhaps five or six stars that were easily seen within the general haziness of dimmer unresolved suns. I found this one a challenging cluster to break down. The DSFG states that it is “slight condensation of stars in rich Milky Way and nebulosity.” (New)

Teutsch 8 (open cluster, mag=unk, size=1.0’):
This one was actually the most curious cluster that I observed while waiting for the moon to move out of the way. Just under 5’ ESE from the mag 7.2 star HD 190114, I picked up this tiny pip of light. At 110x it presented a tiny box of four stars. Dropping in the 10mm (199x), I now had a tiny little dipper pattern of eight stars. Cute and cuddly it was in the eyepiece and so minute as to be simply overlooked if one wasn’t paying attention. (New)

Kronberger 36 (asterism, mag=unk, size=1.2’):
Slipping east from Teutsch 8 a little I triangulated this cluster using the nearby stars. Actually this seems to be an asterism, based on my research. It appears in the DSH asterism list listed under its brightest star (GSC 2678-2380) but does not list its discoverer identifier of Kronberger 36. While one can find it in Stellarium while searching for Kronberger 36, the identifier shown there is DSH J2004.5+3514. This identifier is basically “Deep Sky Hunters” plus its coordinates. All that said, I observed with 110x where I saw a clump of about four or five stars in a tiny wedge shaped clump. At 199x I counted about 10 to 12 stars in the pattern. Tiny and visually weak, it did not stand out in the least unless one was looking for it. (New)

NGC 6910 (open cluster, mag=7.4, size=8.0’):
Just north of Gamma Cygni (Sadr) I easily swept up this pretty grouping at 110x. A very wide pair of 7th mag stars aligned southeast-northwest. A zig-zag of eight 9th and 10th mag stars flows immediately south of the bright pair. Over 30 stars peppered the field with the main concentration being of east-west orientation crossing the center of its field. A nice cluster visually that was fairly well detached. (New)

Roslund 6 (open cluster, mag=6.4, size=24.0’):
Just under 2° southeast of NGC 6910 I picked up this large cluster. I counted over 50 stars (mostly dimmer) widely dispersed over the large field. I noted a boxy group of six brighter stars in the northern half of the field, while a dipper pattern of five dominated the southern portion. The brighter portions were somewhat detached from the general field, while the dimmer filler stars not as much. (New)

After playing around with some lesser known open clusters in Cygnus I closed the IDSA and opened the Uranometria as I moved my focus to Pegasus and galaxies.

Pegasus

NGC 7673 (spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.3’x1.2’, SBr=13.1):
Picked up at 110x as a small and dim, slightly fat oval. It was generally homogeneous in appearance. Using 199x its central region displayed some broader brightness. (New)

NGC 7677 (barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.6’x1.0’, SBr=13.6):
In field with NGC 7673, this one was the dimmer of the pair and more oval. At 110x it too was homogeneous to the eye, almost 7’ to the southeast. At 199x it remained diffuse and weak visually. A 7th and 8th mag pair lay about halfway between and just northeast of a line between the two galaxies. They did not significantly impact the views. (New)

UGC 12655 (lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.5’x0.9’, SBr=13.0):
Just over 1° ENE of the pair of the previous pair of galaxies I pulled down this lenticular. At 110x it was merely a suspicion within the field. Its presence was confirmed at 199x as a small and dim homogeneous oval. (New)

NGC 7712 (elliptical galaxy, mag=12.7, size=0.9’x0.8’, SBr=12.1):
Not seen at 110x and merely suspected at 199x, it was confirmed at 283x as a fleeting homogeneous oval. It appeared much weaker than I expected based purely on its numbers. I think in general conditions were not so great to the ENE where I was working. (New)

NGC 7698 (lenticular galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.0’x0.9’, SBr=13.1):
This one was just glimpsed at 110x as a weak and small round mote. It was truly confirmed at 199x as a mostly homogeneous rounded glow. I suspected that an intermittent stellar core was popping through every so often as I observed. (New)

NGC 7664 (spiral galaxy, mag=12.7, size=2.6’x1.5’, SBr=14.0):
I found it as a small and slightly dim ghostly oval at 110x. About halfway between 69 Peg (mag 6.0) and HD 220694 (mag 7.0), the stars did hinder observation with their combined glare field. At 199x, pushing the stars slightly farther out, the galaxy was an obvious diffuse oval. (New)

NGC 7678 (barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.8, size=2.3’x1.7’, SBr=13.2):
Also known as Arp 28, it was found inside of a small isosceles triangle of three stars (11th and 12th mag). At 110x it was a little bright and slightly large poised within the stellar figure. At 199x it was a bright oval. Generally homogeneous, at times I picked up some broader brightness that was likely the “one heavy arm” that Arp saw in the galaxy. (New)

IC 5317 (lenticular galaxy, mag=14.1, size=1.0’x0.7’, SBr=13.4):
Merely suspected at 110x as a small and evenly illuminated soft rounded glow, I confirmed its presence at 199x, though it remained quite weak. Moving up to 283x it remained challenging, but was clearly seen with direct vision. (New)

NGC 7688 (lenticular galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.7’x0.7’, SBr=13.1):
Intermittently suspected at 110x, I confirmed it at 199x as a very dim and small homogeneous rounded puff. It was not seen 100% of the time however. Moving to 283x it remained nearly a threshold object, but was clearly seen. (New)

Abell 2666: (size=78.0’, # of galaxies=~34):
I next moved into the field of the galaxy cluster Abell 2666. Here I observed at 110x, 152x, 199x and at times 283x:

NGC 7768 (elliptical galaxy, mag=12.3, size=1.6’x1.3’, SBr=13.1):
The brightest of the five galaxies I observed here, it presented as a somewhat bright small oval. It displayed a stellar core. (New)
NGC 7765 (spiral galaxy, mag=14.6, size=0.7’x0.7’, SBr=13.6):
Just northwest of NGC 7768 I picked up this small and weak round puff. While clearly seen, it was not an easy object and took a few minutes to finally drift into sight as my eye adjusted to the field. (New)
MGC +4-56-19 (spiral galaxy, mag=14.7, size=1.1’x0.3’, SBr=13.3):
Separated from NGC 7768 by over 4’ to the north, I intermittently picked up this glow at 152x and 199x. Using 283x I confirmed its presence as a homogeneous small dim glow. It was out of round and quite weak visually. (New)
NGC 7766 (compact spiral galaxy, mag=15.4, size=0.6’x0.1’, SBr=12.7):
Less than 2’ SSW of NGC 7768, I had to work hard to pick up this dim sliver of ghostly light. Looking with 152x, 199x and 283x, I was at times able to pick up this threshold object with difficulty. I repeated this confirmation a few times to insure it was not a vase of averted imagination! Conditions seemed quite variable as fog rose and dropped several times, and humidity levels were through the roof. (New)
NGC 7767 (lenticular galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.0’x0.2’, SBr=11.6):
Just over 3.5’ south of NGC 7768 I pinned down this small and dim elongated sliver. Homogeneous to the eye, while brighter than most of its cluster-mates, it was still weak visually. (New)

NGC 7775 (barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.0’x0.8, SBr=12.8):
North of the AGC 2666, I found this small and little dim oval at 110x. It remained ghostly in appearance even at 199x. (New)

NGC 7777 (lenticular galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.2’x0.8’, SBr=13.1):
About half a degree SSE of the previous object I picked up this lenticular. Found with 110x it presented as small and dim, a bit more elongated in shape than NGC 7775 and homogeneous to the eye. Taking a look at 199x an intermittent stellar core was detected. (New)

NGC 7753 (barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.0, size=3.3’x2.1’, SBr=14.0):
Picked up at 110x the dominant galaxy of the interacting pair Arp 86 presented a large and bright oval disk. There was a connective glow to its small and dimmer neighbor (NGC 7752) to the southwest, which is the disturbed arm of the primary galaxy. At 199x and 283x this galaxy was noticeably large and bright, with its extended arm attached to its interacting partner. A broader central brightness was readily apparent .I found them a visually intriguing pair. (New)

NGC 7752 (spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.8’x0.5’, SBr=13.2):
This is smaller and dimmer secondary galaxy of the interacting pair Arp 86. In images it will often appear as a small oval knot connected with the extended spiral arm of NGC 7753 about 2’ southwest of the primary. Its major disk was oriented east-west, while that of NGC 7753 was northeast-southeast. It was only suspected at 110x, but easier at 199x and 283x. It displayed some weak broad brightness in its interior. At times I suspected an additional galaxy was involved but believe this was more to do with a very dim field star between their disks and/or some intermittent enhancement of the extended spiral arm (New)

NGC 1 (spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.6’x1.2’, SBr=13.3):
Previously observed, this spiral was a small dim oval at 110x that exhibited some broader central brightness at 199x. I returned here to seek the next galaxy just to its south.

NGC 2 (spiral galaxy, mag=14.2, size=1.0’x0.6’, SBr=13.6):
Immediately south of NGC 1 I barely spotted this at 110x as a weak and homogeneous small oval. Viewed at 199x it remained dim and diffuse in appearance but easily seen. (New)

NGC 16 (barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.0, size=1.8’x1.0’, SBr=12.4):
This previously observed galaxy was small and somewhat bright at 110x. Oval and homogeneous to the eye initially, it revealed an illusory stellar core at 199x due to an imposed 8th mag foreground star near the center of its disk.

NGC 22 (spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.8’x1.4’, SBr=14.3):
Just 11.5’ northeast of the previous object I spotted this small and pretty dim oval at 110x. Generally homogeneous in appearance it remained weak at 199x as well. (New)

NGC 23 (barred spiral galaxy, mags12.0, size=2.2’x1.6’, SBr=13.0):
Almost 2° south of the previous two galaxies and still near the Pegasus-Andromeda border; I found another previously observed galaxy. At 110x it presented as a small and slightly bright oval with a stellar core due to an offset 13th magnitude imposed star. At 199x it was very obvious in the field.

NGC 26 (spiral galaxy, mag=12.7, size=1.9’x1.4’, SBr=13.6):
About 9’ southeast of NGC 23 and sitting right on the Peg-And border I located this slightly dim and small oval using 110x. It remained homogeneous and weak at 199x, indicative of the poorer transparency due to high levels of moisture in the air. (New)

NGC 7786 (spiral galaxy, mag=13.1, size=0.6’x0.4’, SBr=11.6):
This spiral was swept up at 110x but presented slightly bright at 110x. Its elevated surface brightness as compared to NGC 26 was obvious to the eye. Even at 199x it remained an evenly illuminated glow. (New)

NGC 7784 (compact galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.7’x0.7’, SBr=13.1):
Within the same FOV with NGC 7786 was this small and dim rounded mote. First picked up with difficulty at 110x, it remained weak and homogeneous visually at 199x. (New)

NGC 7798 (spiral galaxy, mag=12.4, size=1.4’x1.3’, SBr=12.8):
Small and slightly bright, this rounded glow was homogeneous to the eye using 110x. Viewed at 199x it was obvious in the field, but remained diffuse. (New)

NGC 7817 (spiral galaxy, mag=11.8, size=3.5’x0.9’, SBr=12.9):
Picked up at 110x this thin slice of light was nicely elongated and somewhat bright. Evenly illuminated, it was an obvious stripe with tapered ends at 199x. (New)

NGC 7769 (spiral galaxy, mag=12.0, size=1.7’x1.6’, SBr=12.9):
Found with at 110x it presented as somewhat bright and slightly large. Rounded in shape it was homogeneous in appearance. At 199x it was very obvious and displayed a broader central brightness. (New)

NGC 7771 (spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=2.5’x1.0’, SBr=13.1):
Within in the FOV (about 5’ to southeast) with NGC 7769 I also spotted this somewhat bright and small elongated oval at 110x. Homogeneous in appearance it was a very obvious presence in the field. Viewed at 199x it displayed a thicker central region (bulge) with tapered ends. Overall it remained evenly illuminated. (New)

NGC 7770 (lenticular galaxy, mag=13.8, size=0.8’x0.7’, SBr=13.1):
Butted up against the southern end of NGC 7771 was this small and rounded knot. Picked up at 110x, it was dim and evenly illuminated. Even at 199x it was significantly weaker than its neighbor, though still easily seen. (New)

For illustrative purposes here is an SDSS image (not mine) of the NGC 7771 Group. This nice galaxy trio consists of the previous three objects, NGCs 7769, 7771 and 7770.

ngc7771wide.jpg

NGC 7814 (spiral galaxy, mag=10.6, size=5.5’x2.3’, SBr=13.2):
Another previously observed galaxy, it was easily picked up at 110x as a large and bright extended oval with a broadly brighter center. Viewed at 199x it was quite strong within the field and a large bright oval core.

NGC 14 (irregular galaxy, mag=12.1, size=2.8’x2.1’, SBr=13.9):
Also known as Arp 235 I located this small and slightly bright oval almost 1.5° ESE of NGC 7814 with 110x. Viewed at 199x it was an obvious presence in the field and remained a homogeneous small oval glow. (New)

NGC 7800 (irregular galaxy, mag=12.6, size=2.3’x1.6’, SBr=14.3):
Picked up at 110x, this small oval presented as slightly bright and homogeneous. Viewed at 199x it remained diffuse and was an obvious fixture within its field. (New)

NGC 7810 (lenticular galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.2’x0.9’, SBr=13.0):
Lying next to a 13th mag field star, I round this homogeneous oval small and slightly dim to my eye at 110x. Its general appearance didn’t change at 199x, though it was more obvious. (New)

NGC 7803 (lenticular galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.0’x0.6’, SBr=12.4):
This galaxy is the brightest of the compact group Hickson 100 (the “A” component). Swept up at 110x it presented a small and dim homogeneous oval. Even at 199x it was not a strong presence though obvious. It remained small and a little dim, and evenly illuminated. (New)

MCG +2-1-12 (spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.8’x0.4’, SBr=13.0):
Immediately east of NGC 7803 I managed to pick up the “B” component of Hickson 100 as a very dim and small homogeneous oval with 152x. Its general appearance did not change when viewed at 199x. Conditions did not permit me to pursue the entire group in earnest – best left for another time. (New)

At various times fog tried to make a mess of things, but it always seemed to retreat after a short period. By around midnight I had had enough. I was a bit chilly and my leg was starting to send alerts that it was ready to call it a night. Dewing was ramping up and the fingers of high thin clouds remained an intermittent pest. Nonetheless, by the time I returned the gear to the garage and headed in for the night, it had been a very successful outing. Thanks for coming along with me as I limped around in the dark and around the sky. I hope to get a chance sometime in October to head back over to the dark site house and resume my autumn galaxy hunting ways. Keep looking up folks.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Observing Report for 27 September 2022 - a limping success

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Very nice session Alan!
I am listening to the rain on the skylight while reading your report.
It may be a while before my telescopes see any starlight.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:07 am Very nice session Alan!
I am listening to the rain on the skylight while reading your report.
It may be a while before my telescopes see any starlight.

Thank you Gabrielle. With the rain heading our way as the leftovers of the hurricane works its way overland, then the moon taking over the night shortly, I feel fortunate I was able to hobble around well enough to get in some observing. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I do hope your leg has recovered right away and you can get out observing again very soon.
It is looking to be at least another 5 days before the cloud/ rain are gone here.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice collection of open clusters and galaxies Alan! You are back on the horse with a vengeance. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:17 pm Nice collection of open clusters and galaxies Alan! You are back on the horse with a vengeance. :D

Thank you Andrey. To be very honest, the next day it felt like I'd fallen off the horse as my knees were very unhappy! :) But I had fun at the time, and I know it will all be good in time. I just have to manage my expectations. Not always easy for an old goat like myself however. :lol:
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Very nice observations What a haul. Impressive!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Loving the open clusters! Amazing session!! Certainly another VROD!!!

Best wishes on a speedier recovery.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:12 pm Very nice observations What a haul. Impressive!

Thank you John.

Unitron48 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:16 pm Loving the open clusters! Amazing session!! Certainly another VROD!!!

Dave

Thank you Dave. I hope I get through this sooner rather than later for sure. Its the most problem I've ever had with my legs in general.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:16 pm Loving the open clusters! Amazing session!! Certainly another VROD!!!

Dave

I will add, it seems that most do not like galaxies as much as I (and Andrey) do! Once in a while I will turn the big scope toward other types of objects on a whim, and I always enjoy the show. But I have observed over 3,200 galaxies over the past 10 to 11 years, so my open cluster count is much lower in comparison. I have toyed with the sacrilegious idea of devoting a few sessions to open clusters only, as I've done in the past with planetary nebulae and globular clusters. I will think that one over. :)
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Alan and thanks for sharing your perspective on Pegasus and Cygnus. Many, many galaxies fell to your glass. (and clusters) and as Dave mentioned well worthy of the VROD award for the day! So congrats. As an aside I twisted my right knee on Tuesday getting out of an elevator at the Hyatt Regency in Seattle. Still bothering me. This old age (sort of) aches and pains thing is for the birds! Good luck on a speedy recovery.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:07 pm Great report Alan and thanks for sharing your perspective on Pegasus and Cygnus. Many, many galaxies fell to your glass. (and clusters) and as Dave mentioned well worthy of the VROD award for the day! So congrats. As an aside I twisted my right knee on Tuesday getting out of an elevator at the Hyatt Regency in Seattle. Still bothering me. This old age (sort of) aches and pains thing is for the birds! Good luck on a speedy recovery.

Thank you Michael. I appreciate the VROD and Dave's recommendation.

Absolutely, aging is fraught with issues. As Bette Davis said, “Old age ain't no place for sissies” :)
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Yet another fine observing report from you. Wow, what a haul of open clusters and galaxies with the 17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian scope. And, I can appreciate your sore legs as Sheri and I just finished two days of sweeping, raking, and picking up the tree debris from Hurricane Ian and have 12 barrels of yard stuff out by the street for pickup. Neither of us can hardly move now without pain. There is an old saying; "Time heals all wounds" to which I would like to add; "except old age". Thanks for another well written and descriptive report Alan congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:19 pm Hi Alan. Yet another fine observing report from you. Wow, what a haul of open clusters and galaxies with the 17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian scope. And, I can appreciate your sore legs as Sheri and I just finished two days of sweeping, raking, and picking up the tree debris from Hurricane Ian and have 12 barrels of yard stuff out by the street for pickup. Neither of us can hardly move now without pain. There is an old saying; "Time heals all wounds" to which I would like to add; "except old age". Thanks for another well written and descriptive report Alan congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.

Thank you Marshall. Sorry to hear you had so much to clean up after the storm's passage. I am sure you are well acquainted with pain after that ordeal! Hopefully things will be quiet for a while now so folks can start to recover. Both of you take care and rest up after all that manual labor!
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

And congrats on your VROD recognition!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 pm And congrats on your VROD recognition!

Dave

Thank you Dave. Your nomination was much appreciated.
Alan

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Alan, great to see that you've included open clusters in this report! Usually, OCs and asterisms were reserved for observations made in more southerly locales, when you were limited to grab-and-go scopes.

Ruprecht 172 and Teusch 8 are the only ones I’ve not seen.

kt4hx wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:48 pm I will add, it seems that most do not like galaxies as much as I (and Andrey) do! Once in a while I will turn the big scope toward other types of objects on a whim, and I always enjoy the show. But I have observed over 3,200 galaxies over the past 10 to 11 years, so my open cluster count is much lower in comparison. I have toyed with the sacrilegious idea of devoting a few sessions to open clusters only, as I've done in the past with planetary nebulae and globular clusters. I will think that one over. :)

When I got back into astronomy in 2010 and was doing all my observing away from the city, galaxies were my primary targets. The two main reasons:
  • They require darker skies more than any other type of DSO. Since I was spending so much time (and money) travelling away from the city, I felt it would be opportunity wasted not to target these objects.
  • They are easier to sketch - open clusters and asterisms are more time consuming. You can log more DSOs in a single night if you focus on galaxies.
Once I came close to exhausting what galaxies I could see with my limited aperture and couldn't get access to more darker skies (without getting a ride from someone), I began focusing more on open clusters (as well as PNs and GCs). Since I’ve done little observing away from home the past 6 yrs., any new DSOs logged are all asterisms and open clusters, with the occasional planetary nebula.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:26 pm Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you John.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

terrynak wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:51 pm Alan, great to see that you've included open clusters in this report! Usually, OCs and asterisms were reserved for observations made in more southerly locales, when you were limited to grab-and-go scopes.

Ruprecht 172 and Teusch 8 are the only ones I’ve not seen.

kt4hx wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:48 pm I will add, it seems that most do not like galaxies as much as I (and Andrey) do! Once in a while I will turn the big scope toward other types of objects on a whim, and I always enjoy the show. But I have observed over 3,200 galaxies over the past 10 to 11 years, so my open cluster count is much lower in comparison. I have toyed with the sacrilegious idea of devoting a few sessions to open clusters only, as I've done in the past with planetary nebulae and globular clusters. I will think that one over. :)

When I got back into astronomy in 2010 and was doing all my observing away from the city, galaxies were my primary targets. The two main reasons:
  • They require darker skies more than any other type of DSO. Since I was spending so much time (and money) travelling away from the city, I felt it would be opportunity wasted not to target these objects.
  • They are easier to sketch - open clusters and asterisms are more time consuming. You can log more DSOs in a single night if you focus on galaxies.
Once I came close to exhausting what galaxies I could see with my limited aperture and couldn't get access to more darker skies (without getting a ride from someone), I began focusing more on open clusters (as well as PNs and GCs). Since I’ve done little observing away from home the past 6 yrs., any new DSOs logged are all asterisms and open clusters, with the occasional planetary nebula.

I of course understand the difficulty and complexity of galaxy observing for many observers. They may be limited by localized conditions or aperture, and in many cases both. I count myself very fortunate (as I am sure Andrey does as well) that I have access to a darker location where I can stay multiple nights if I so desire. Plus I have a large aperture scope available there full time. That is precisely what I was looking for since my desire to pursue galaxies is my primary motivator, and exactly why I feel fortunate.

When our home backyard was of Bortle 5 quality, with my 12 inch I could still easily galaxy hunt. But over time it has degraded to B6, and galaxy hunting with the 12 inch has become more difficult. So if I do observe at home, then I shift my priorities. However, at times, even at our dark site house with the 17.5 inch, I will sometimes deviate from my primary goal and pursue other types of objects. Presently I am planning an open cluster hunt in Cassiopeia the next time I can get over there. In Sky Tools 4, it lists 112 open clusters in Cass. Running that list against my log, I have not observed 81 of them. So that is my plan for next time, to pursue as many of them as possible. I think it will make a fun challenge. :)
Alan