Let's see your reports!
Ragilmer
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

First Report in Quite a While

Post by Ragilmer »

Tuesday 9/13/2022 approximately 8:45-9:45 PM

First clear night in weeks, but it wasn’t entirely clear. Patches of clouds drifted about the whole time. Right as I was setting up a fox trotted around the side of the house and cut through to my neighbor’s yard. Neighbors came and went and seemingly turned every available light in the neighborhood on.

Equipment: XT6
Eyepieces: Orion plossl 32mm, Celestron Luminos 15mm, 9mm expanse, 2x barlow

First target (chosen due to clouds), M71: Vague fuzzy patch in Sagitta. This one took a little back and forth because it was a little underwhelming. I think if I’d revisited after being out later it might have been more impressive, but it was mostly just a faint fuzzy.

Second Target, M28: The clouds moved out from the South and I was able to get a better view of Sagittarius. I tap tap tapped my red dot finder to get the light to come on and then looked in the eyepiece and it was spot on. This one looked a good bit more impressive than M71 viewed through both the 15mm and the 9mm.

Third Target, M22: This one popped—really nice to view with either the 15mm or 9mm. Lots of stars starting to resolve. I spent a good bit of time just trying to let my eyes relax and soak in as many stars as I could.

Fourth Target, Saturn: Saturn didn’t disappoint tonight—I could see the Cassini division and a pale equatorial band very clearly. It bounced around a bit, but when it was on it was crisp. I barlowed the 15mm and the 9mm and both held up fairly well. Tonight was the first night I’ve gotten to use the 15mm since I had it delivered a couple of weeks ago and I could really see the difference in the optics here. Titan was easily visible in both, but I was able to more consistently see some of the other moons with the 15 barlowed.

This was my first time out in a while in the evening (as opposed to early mornings) and it reminded me how many lights are visible from my front yard, lol. It’s got a great view towards the South, but I have to remember to bring a towel to drape over my head in the future, especially in the evening when everyone is still up and driving around.

Anyway, it was a good night out and a nice last solo with the XT6 before its larger companion shows up tomorrow (hopefully!).
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: First Report in Quite a While

Post by Juno16 »

Nice evening and nice report!

Sounds like Saturn was the gem of the evening.

I hope that your new gear arrive as hoped.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Very nice report with an XT6 - this is the first one I've come across by someone using this scope.

I almost got a XT6-like Dob (Bushnell Ares 6), but when they shipped it to me, I only received the rocker-box base components - the actual OTA never came because the supplier ran out. I returned the mount and got a refund.

I subsequently got a 6" F/8 OTA (similar to the XT6 one) and use it on my EQ or alt-az mounts.

Saw Saturn on Tuesday night as well and it looked amazing - used a 5" F/8 Newtonian at 255x (using a 6mm Expanse and a 1.5x Barlow). Cassini Division and banding on the planet was clear.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great reporting! Glad you were able to get out in spite of clouds. M22 is one of my favorites!! Usually impresses.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Thank you for this nice report.
I have not been able to get out for months. Your report has inspired me ! 🙂
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Rob. A very nice observing report using your XT6 Dob telescope. Despite the clouds you caught some nice Messier objects and Saturn in your session. Thanks for your well written report Rob and keep up the great work.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Excellent report Rob and welcome back to the evening observing ranks and TSS - you also are today's lucky VROD (Visual Report of the Day Award) winner!

Note the badge that shows up under your profile, so congrats on the accomplishment! Good luck with the new scope!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Very nice Rob. You hit on some wonderful globulars during your outing. Though they are all the same type of object, but visually they are vastly different. M22 is definitely one of the best in the sky, being both large and bright. From our dark site house it is almost always clearly visible with the naked eye.

I do particularly like M71, but a you noted, it can be difficult to notice at times. Because it is so loosely structured, and lying in an already very rich star field, it is not a readily apparent as other globulars. But once you lock in on it, it can yield some amazing views.

Well done, and congrats on the VROD for today. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice session Rob and congrats on the VROD! What scope did you get? :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Great report Rob!

Lights from nearby houses / neighbours can certainly be a right pain. Most of my "serious" (if you can call it that...) observing on DSOs doesn't really start until past midnight when most if not all the nuisance lights have been switched off as people have generally retired for the night that point!

Congrats on the VROD!
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by The Wave Catcher »

Thanks for the great report Rob!

What is the focal length on an “XT6” just so I can figure the powers you were using for comparison?

I live less than a mile from an all-night pipe company and several large, world-wide shipping warehouses so I feel your light pain. When I say my skies are Bortle 8 I’m being very generous. I can read a book just from the sky glow. I still have fun observing though!

Thanks!
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
Ragilmer
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Ragilmer »

Thanks everyone, and that's an awesome welcome Michael! @terrynak it's been a great scope. I was fresh out of grad school and underemployed when I found it in the scratch and dent section of the Orion site years ago. @The Wave Catcher it's got a focal length of 1178mm, so I was topping out around 261X, but probably had the best views around 157X. That sounds like pretty rough viewing--I'm very close to a large shopping center/mall area, but in the other direction it's pretty quickly farmland, so to the east and north I have decent skies--but I also have more trees in that direction.

@Bigzmey I got an AD10 delivered and assembled this afternoon! My local forecast shows clear skies for days, but of course it's cloudy over my house at the moment :)

Attachments
IMG_2211.jpeg
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Ragilmer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:27 pm Thanks everyone, and that's an awesome welcome Michael! @terrynak it's been a great scope. I was fresh out of grad school and underemployed when I found it in the scratch and dent section of the Orion site years ago. @The Wave Catcher it's got a focal length of 1178mm, so I was topping out around 261X, but probably had the best views around 157X. That sounds like pretty rough viewing--I'm very close to a large shopping center/mall area, but in the other direction it's pretty quickly farmland, so to the east and north I have decent skies--but I also have more trees in that direction.

@Bigzmey I got an AD10 delivered and assembled this afternoon! My local forecast shows clear skies for days, but of course it's cloudy over my house at the moment :)

Congrats Rob! This is quite a step in aperture.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Nice report. Thanks!
Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Unitron48 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:39 am Great reporting! Glad you were able to get out in spite of clouds. M22 is one of my favorites!! Usually impresses.

Dave
And congrats on your VROD
!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Ragilmer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:27 pm Thanks everyone, and that's an awesome welcome Michael! @terrynak it's been a great scope. I was fresh out of grad school and underemployed when I found it in the scratch and dent section of the Orion site years ago. @The Wave Catcher it's got a focal length of 1178mm, so I was topping out around 261X, but probably had the best views around 157X. That sounds like pretty rough viewing--I'm very close to a large shopping center/mall area, but in the other direction it's pretty quickly farmland, so to the east and north I have decent skies--but I also have more trees in that direction.

Great that you were able to pick up the XT6 from the Orion site at a discounted price! I picked up my StarBlast 4.5 EQ version from the used scope section of the Orion site. I went to Orion's Cupertino store in No Cal once and they were selling the XT6 with only the OTA; I was tempted to buy one but had no way of transporting it back physically to So Cal (could have arranged for them to ship it instead though...). A rocker box Dob is too heavy for me to transport/carry - it's easier for me to use a tripod, whether alt-az or EQ.

Congrats on your new 10" Dob and hope it performs magnificently!
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Ragilmer
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Ragilmer »

Thanks Terry and congrats on your VROD too! I've got some notes on Wednesday night's first light I need to polish up and get posted. Speaking of--the XT6 I can move around in one awkward piece, but the AD10 is not really happening! I was able to move it a few times in one piece around the yard, but that seems like a good way to strain the rocker box or my back, or both. You can definitely feel the difference between them!
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

You'll get a mini-workout hauling around a 10" Dob. Cancel the gym membership!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N