Let's see your reports!
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

An evening with the family

Post by davesellars »

I'd setup late afternoon with the 80ED and binoviewers to give them a go first time properly on the Sun with Baader film filter. Using a 45 degree prism diagonal that came with a Skywatcher scope I was able to obtain focus using a pair of essentially equal 25mm plossls that also came with a couple of different scopes.

White light solar success and the view of the Sun was certainly much easier with two eyes than one! My Wife joined me for a little while and we both viewed the various sun-spots that are scattered on the surface at the moment. She was quite impressed that you could see so much on the surface! The 25mm plossls are sufficient for solar WL with the binoviewer's barlow giving essentially 2X and I think that increasing magnification with the boiling surface probably won't be beneficial.

Apart from the Baader filter, everything was left out for viewing the Moon later. At just after 10pm, the Moon was rising magnificently looking large and beautiful with an orange/yellow hue to it. Through the binoviewers the view was quite something! As others had mentioned before it was much easier to relax into the view and just soak it in the view. Although there was some CA caused from the 45 degree erecting diagonal it wasn't too bad - certainly this would be improved with a non-erecting prism I believe.

My daughters (9, 7 and almost 5 years old) and Wife were all keen to come out and have a look especially as it still very warm. As the Moon rose a bit higher it became steadier. With the 25mm plossls the full disc was visible in the field of view but with great clarity and comfort with the brightness actually not too bad considering it was almost fully illuminated. My 9 and 7 years daughters were both gobsmacked by the detail and were relaying back all the details they could see (rilles, valleys, mountains and seas). My 4 year old was searching for the Man on the Moon... :roll: :Astronomer1: An hour flew by with all three taking turns.

While waiting for turns my Wife and daughters scanned the sky remarking at the many satellites that could be seen crossing. One shooting star (perseid) was seen, and I was a little surprised more wasn't as we head towards the maximum.

While waiting for Saturn just to clear a large bush, I turned the scope to the Double Cluster, this was not ideal with binoviewers imho with quite a lot of the fainter stuff being lost, but my daughters were both impressed with the massive amount of stars still visible..

It was very late and my youngest now hit the hay as she was starting to get cranky! :p

Back to Saturn and with the binoviewers I could certainly see a touch of CA in effect because of the brightness of the object. Still, the view was nice and clear in the binoviewers with a great view (although small) of the rings. My daughters really loved this! Definitely, needs 10mm eyepieces though to produce and effective 5mm eyepiece focal length which would good power for this type of object and Jupiter... So will be on the lookout to duplicate my 10mm BCO.

I changed over to mono vision and popped in a 4mm eyepiece... This was superb on Saturn. The Cassini division was easily visible and the seeing was quite steady for good moments of time. This was a little more difficult for my daughters to initially use one eye instead of two but once they got it, both gasped at the level of detail and size of the gas giant. my 9 year reported that she could see the Cassini division as well once I explained what to look for.

It was almost midnight and both my daughters retired for the night. I stayed out for a little longer viewing Saturn alone. It was beautifully clear night, the transparency seemed OK but not great - the full Moon sufficiently bright even if it was low down that the Milky Way could not be seen and so I called it a night at close to 1am.

So, the binoviewers were a success! I think if I can find a good price for a standard Celestron 90 degree prism as these don't have compression fitting which is not suitable for the binoviewer nose and also a second hand 10mm BCO, I'll be set...
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: An evening with the family

Post by Unitron48 »

Sounds like a very successful and fun night, Dave! Congrats on a great family event!

Might be time to get the kids their own scope and "fan the flame"!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Unitron48 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:50 pm
Might be time to get the kids their own scope and "fan the flame"!!

Dave
Thanks Dave! Actually, I bought them one quite a while ago seizing the opportunity of a bargain on AstroBoot UK - A new 100p Heritage on a 130p dob base (which one of the feet had broken off which was very easily rectified. They were a little too young to use it properly before, but perhaps now the time to dust it off... It's actually a great little scope for wide-field observations.
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great family outing Dave!

Glad that you have discovered delights of binoviewer observing. Moon viewing is just fantastic. I was not that impressed with DSOs or doubles views. Binoviewers excel at bright stuff.

BCOs will not disappoint you. I have two sets just for binoveiwing. 32mm, 18mm and 10mm pairs work great, but 6mm were hard to merge.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Thanks Andrey!

Today I found for the cost of postage only a Celestron Omni 2x Barlow, I've be able to switch the lens from this instead of using the barlow that came with the BV - this should give 3x so will give a bit more magnification with the 25mm Plossls and should allow me enough focus travel to able to use the mirror diagonal... Need to get a pass for from the CFO of the house for the purchase of eyepieces... :p
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:46 pm BCOs will not disappoint you. I have two sets just for binoveiwing. 32mm, 18mm and 10mm pairs work great, but 6mm were hard to merge.
BTW, how you get on with the 10mm BCO for binoviewing for planetary and lunar? I believe from previous posts you use a similar set up with a lens from a 2x barlow attached to the BV so you get effectively 3x? That would be effectively 3.3mm focal length for the eyepiece...
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

davesellars wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:29 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:46 pm BCOs will not disappoint you. I have two sets just for binoveiwing. 32mm, 18mm and 10mm pairs work great, but 6mm were hard to merge.
BTW, how you get on with the 10mm BCO for binoviewing for planetary and lunar? I believe from previous posts you use a similar set up with a lens from a 2x barlow attached to the BV so you get effectively 3x? That would be effectively 3.3mm focal length for the eyepiece...
I use both 2x barlow nosepiece (for 3x effective factor) and 1.9x OCA which came with binoviewer. As you know 102ED takes high power quite well. I routinely use 2.5mm to 3.5mm EPs for mono viewing, so 10mm BCO is in the same range with BV 3x setup.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

davesellars wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:04 pm Thanks Andrey!

Today I found for the cost of postage only a Celestron Omni 2x Barlow, I've be able to switch the lens from this instead of using the barlow that came with the BV - this should give 3x so will give a bit more magnification with the 25mm Plossls and should allow me enough focus travel to able to use the mirror diagonal... Need to get a pass for from the CFO of the house for the purchase of eyepieces... :p
3x option is nice to have. Is your mirror diagonal 1.25" or 2"?

davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:07 pm

I've got both 1.25" and 2" mirror diagonals.
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hello Dave. An extremely enjoyable report from you with the 80ED and binoviewers. And the best part was that your wife and three daughters got to share in the great views. Thanks for the very fun read report Dave and I hope that you have another great opportunity like this again soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

davesellars wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:23 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:07 pm

I've got both 1.25" and 2" mirror diagonals.
Good, one of them should work with 3x option.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice Dave and excellent that you could combine solar, lunar, and DSO viewing in course of a 24 hour period. Congrats on the family outreach, as well. Definitely worthy of a VROD.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Many thanks once again, Michael!
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Congrats on your VROD recognition, Dave! Please remember to have the kids share in the glory :smile:

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Sure will Dave! :)

Preparing for tonight's Perseid shower event... Not sure how successful it will be - but it's going to be nice and clear whatever!
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

davesellars wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:41 pm Preparing for tonight's Perseid shower event... Not sure how successful it will be - but it's going to be nice and clear whatever!
I'll be out there also...at Morning Calm Observatory with my observing companions. Hoping for the best!!

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I've got a third storey balcony I will be using. A chair, a blanket, a glass of merlot, and a pair of binos. (Plus some OFF! as it is mosquito season here) I hope I will see some meteors.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Good luck Michael & Dave!

Just got back in from being out since 10:30 (now 1am) with the family. Made a bit of an occasion of it with a pizza... We got to see quite a few Perseids and luckily a few quite bright ones! Kids couldn't keep their eyes open once it got to 1am though, bless 'em...
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
scribbly Australia
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by scribbly »

what a great night out!!

When I get the occasional guest visiting (the family is not so interested, other than the briefest looks of the moon, Jupiter, and Saturn), I usually add Omega Centauri, the Jewel box , and or the Tarantula neb (at least 2/3 always nice at any time of the year from my lattitude) to the "tour.

I agree, very worthy VROD!
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

That sounds like a great day Dave, especially with the binoviewer! The Sun, Moon, planets, family; good times and quite a nice read. Enjoy those moments, I know I have for sure :D

Thanks again and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC