Observing Report for 21 August 2019 - on the road again

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 21 August 2019 - on the road again

Post by kt4hx »

I am back on the road for another business trip to the same location I’ve traveled to before at about 5° south latitude. This is my fourth trip here and as with the previous one I brought optical aid with me. The first two times my ES ED80 saw action and served me quite well garnering many new objects from constellations that are at best partially hidden, but more times than not completely invisible to me at my normal observing sites around 38° north. The last trip I brought my 4.5” f/4.4 newtonian OTA, which unfortunately has a rickety plastic 1.25” focuser which made things a bit challenging, though it too served me well and allowed me to scoop up a few galaxies as well.

For this adventure I went a bit more serious and lugged along my new Apertura 6” f/5 newtonian OTA, which comes stock with a 2” single-speed Crayford forcuser. This alone is a vast improvement over the 4.5” newt. But I took it a step further and installed a dual-speed upgrade kit so I could enjoy the benefits of having a fine focusing adjustment. The biggest challenge however was getting the OTA here intact and undamaged, which was accomplished through robust and careful packing. I wanted the bump up in aperture to give me a better chance of adding some new southern galaxies to my log.

The scope is mounted on an ES Twilight-I mount, which was disassembled for packing and also made the trip unscathed. I brought along three eyepieces, the ES 82° 18mm (42x), Pentax XW 70° 10mm (76x), Pentax XW 70° 7mm (106x). If needed I also brought the negative lens assembly from my 1.25” barlow that could be screwed into the bottom of the XWs to provide a 1.5x boost. Additionally the case includes a couple of 1.25” to 2” adaptors as I like to keep my 1.25” EPs thus mounted and ready to swap out quickly. I also brought my 2” DGM NPB filter in case I wish to tackle some nebulae. Of course my red light and trusty, field worn Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas (IDSA).

This is the first time I have visited this time of year so some different constellations would be available to me. Some of the more southerly autumn constellations that are challenging from home will gain higher elevation, such as Grus, Sculptor, Microscopium, Phoenix, Fornax, etc. Others that are never seen at home will be possible, though only partially due to trees on the property, such as Telescopium, Indus, etc.

The biggest challenge here, as always, is fitting in observing time around my work schedule, which is always partially at night. This time around my observing will be confined to a two to three hour window before midnight. Plus, I also have to contend with the highly variable cloud situation that seems to be more the norm here. Not that clear skies can’t be had, but it seems that the majority of nights do have some level of cloudiness which one must work around. This first evening of observing here this trip was a prime example.

I set me gear up out in front of the office which is all too familiar to me from previous trips. I have to endure lots of perimeter security lighting which I can do nothing about. Plus the incessant glow from the nearby city that illuminates the undersides of any clouds that dare venture across my view. My dark adaptation is therefore limited in its depth, which can most definitely impact observations, particularly of diffuse, extended objects. Nonetheless, I do not let that keep me indoors when at least some clearing presents itself during my off-time.

Setting up the gear this first time I immediately noticed the slightly cooler temperatures and lower humidity than during the first half of the year when my previous trips occurred. This was a welcome change, and I noted that the gear acclimated much faster to the change from indoors to outdoors than in times past. I also was happily not assailed by clouds of killer mosquitoes as I had been previously. This all conspired to make being out under the night sky much more pleasant.

Unfortunately, though it was more pleasant to be outside at night than during previous trips here, I was greeted by my old nemesis, the cloud demons. They were fleeing quickly across the sky from south to north, creating holes and as quickly filling them. The sky would clear, then within minutes the next onslaught would commence. It was like a whole pack of shapeshifting lycanthropes were racing across the sky. Given that my time for fun and frolic is limited, and the moon would be entering the sky around 2300 hours, I persevered in hopes that a larger more lasting hole would reveal itself in time. Now that I’ve provided a quite verbose lead in to my first session for this trip, it is time to get to the meat of the matter. My short and to the point observing report, so let's turn to IDSA chart 89-left and begin. :)

NGC 7213 (Grus, spiral galaxy, mag=10.0, size=3.1’x2.8’, SBr=12.2):
When a larger hole in the clouds presented itself, I quickly aimed the scope at mag 1.7 Alpha Gruis (Alnair). I studied the field just southeast of this star at 42x and at times suspected I was seeing a very small and difficult dusting of diffuse homogenous light. Dropping in the 10mm (76x) I confirmed its presence, but it was at best difficult with the general sky glow, glaring from Alnair and variable transparency. I had hoped for a little bit more from this object, but didn’t get it.

NGC 7145 (Grus, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.2, size=2.5’x2.3’, SBr=12.8):
Looking through the RACI I slipped WSW just over 3° to pick up a narrow triangle of three stars (5th and 6th mag). A wide pair of field stars just east of the southeastern corner of the triangle would be my signpost for the next two objects. Studying the field at 42x south of the eastern most of the two field stars I never could detect anything, so I bumped up to 76x. This brought merely a suspicion of a very dim and small round puff of homogenous light. Its presence in the field was confirmed at 106x, but it remained tenuous and challenging to discern in the variable conditions.

NGC 7144 (Grus, elliptical galaxy, mag=10.8, size=3.7’x3.6’, SBr=13.3):
While looking for the previous galaxy, I also kept my eye peeled for any signs of this one, about 24’ to its SSW. As with NGC 7145, this one was elusive and not seen at 42x. But I had a suspicion of its presence as a dim and small round bit of evenly illuminated fuzz at 76x. Its presence in the field was confirmed at 106x, but it was likewise hanging on by a thread visually.

NGC 7097 (Grus, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.7, size=1.8’x1.2’, SBr=12.3):
Using the brighter triangle of three stars as a pointer I slid NNW almost 4° to a boomerang of three 6th magnitude field stars. Just southeast of the northernmost of this curl of stars I studied the field with 42x. Nothing was detected. Dropping in the 10mm, I thought I had a fleeting impression of a quite dim and small oval. Dropping in the 7mm (106x) I seemed to detect a subtle uptick in central brightness within the dim disk.

IC 5105 (Microscopium, elliptical, galaxy mag=11.6, size=1.9’x1.3’, SBr=12.3):
Nudging northwest from the three star boomerang, past mag 5.3 Xi Gruis, I entered southeastern Microscopium. West of Xi Gru I easily spotted Theta1 and Theta2 Microscopii (mag 4.8 and 5.8 respectively). Studying the field just north of Theta2 and just south of another three star curve (7th mag), I didn’t detect anything at 42x, though at 76x I again picked up a hint of a diffuse presence intermittently. Using 106x I confirmed the presence of a homogenous small oval of hazy light. As with the others it was challenging under the prevailing conditions.

My free time was at an end. All in all I spent almost two hours out. But, a fair amount of my time was spent sitting and waiting for clouds to open up in order to take a crack at one of the galaxies I did pull down. Some observations took a while as clouds would sweep through the field of view and I had to bide my time waiting for the next opening so I could continue with trying to detect the target. So patience is most definitely my watchword here.

It is of course always an adventure to observe below one’s normal southern horizon. New and different constellations and star patterns make such opportunities refreshingly new and exotic. So I thank you for coming along, and I hope to get back out there soon. I am also hopeful that at some point over the coming couple of months that I will get some steadily clear skies and better transparency. But, even if I have to slug it out with the clouds for the whole time, I will be out there every chance I get trying to tease a few photons out the southern sky. Until next time, keep looking up friends, I know I will! :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 21 August 2019 - on the road again

Post by Bigzmey »

6" Newt on T1 - some serious fire power there! Was it in luggage or carry on? Nice walk in Grus and vicinity Alan!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

It's always nice to manage a subsidized adventure!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:32 am 6" Newt on T1 - some serious fire power there! Was it in luggage or carry on? Nice walk in Grus and vicinity Alan!
Thanks Andrey. Actually was checked, which I know goes against traditional wisdom.The OTA is 28" long which is really pushing hard against the envelope for carry on. Not that I didn't think of trying it, but I didn't want to take the real risk of being forced to check it without adequate packing. I bought a piece of 8" diameter sonotube and cut down the length enough it would fit diagonally inside one of the suitcases. I then removed the focuser and finder shoe. The scope came in a plastic bag inside its box so I left the bag on and slipped the OTA into the sonotube then packed each end with bubble wrap and taped it in place. I then packed around it with items to absorb the shock of handling. Also against normal thinking, I left the primary and secondary in the OTA since I packed it inside the sonotube and padded the exterior. Interestingly enough it does not appear that TSA went into the bag as they normally leave a slip stating such and none was in there. Made it through two flights with nary a scratch or dent. All reassembled as expected and even the collimation hadn't shifted much either. :) I consider myself lucky to have accomplished it - at least in one direction. Still have to return home later with it! :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:51 am It's always nice to manage a subsidized adventure!
Agreed! I take advantage of such opportunities whenever I can. :)
Alan

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Well this is a fun read Alan, a pleasure!
I am looking forward now to each new episode.
Thank you very much for sharing.
I hope your work goes well, and that as the season progresses you find more and clear skies.
Peace to you Sir.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Don Quixote wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:07 am Well this is a fun read Alan, a pleasure!
I am looking forward now to each new episode.
Thank you very much for sharing.
I hope your work goes well, and that as the season progresses you find more and ckear skies.
Peace to you Sir.
Thank you Mark. I certainly hope that some longer duration periods of clearing do find me. I have done combat astronomy here before, having to fight it out with the clouds during entire sessions. That does wear thin after a bit. This is supposed to be the time of the year with the most clearing, but I will reserve my opinion on that until later! :smile:
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Nice observing session!
NGC 7213 at 16 ' from Mv.1.8 Alnair is not really the easiest of targets! Reminds me a bit of Mirach's Ghost NGC404. Well done!
It seems that 43X is too low magnification even with that instrument on that location for a faint galaxy-hunt. The trick with the higher magnification was very welcome here! Nice challenging objects though..
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:40 am Nice observing session!
NGC 7213 at 16 ' from Mv.1.8 Alnair is not really the easiest of targets! Reminds me a bit of Mirach's Ghost NGC404. Well done!
It seems that 43X is too low magnification even with that instrument on that location for a faint galaxy-hunt. The trick with the higher magnification was very welcome here! Nice challenging objects though..
Thanks John. Agreed, with the closeness of Alnair, its not the easiest, and I wasn't 100% certain until I went to 76x. But I've always had an affinity for DSOs lurking near brighter stars as they present a special challenge. Though Alnair reaches about 45° elevation here, given the marine layer I am dealing with, sky glow, incessant ground lighting (impairing dark adaptation, forcing me to employ a dark shroud over my head and eyepiece) and often questionable transparency, it was a suitable challenge for the 6". When it comes to hunting galaxies, I rarely shy away from a challenge, even if I am not always successful. :)
Alan

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Great report Alan!

Even with the spotty cloudiness, you still managed to spot many dim targets.

I know traveling with your Aperture checked did I stir up some uneasiness, but it sounds like all went well.

Definitely paid off in better viewing!

Thanks again,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Nice Alan! It is great that you are able to take something with you on trips like this.

I am starting to think about what, if anything I can bring with me on my trip to Australia in January.....:Think:
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great that you could take along a 6" on your business trip Alan. I am sure it makes a world of difference compared to an 80mm objective. Nice catch on the Southern galaxies as well.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:51 am Great report Alan!

Even with the spotty cloudiness, you still managed to spot many dim targets.

I know traveling with your Aperture checked did I stir up some uneasiness, but it sounds like all went well.

Definitely paid off in better viewing!

Thanks again,
Jim
Thank you Jim. Fighting the clouds is something I am used to here, unfortunately. Sometimes they get the better of me, and sometimes my perseverance wins out. I would call this outing a draw. They gave me some and took some, so as frustrating as it might be, I was at least given some crumbs that I could call my own! :)
KingNothing13 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:53 pm Nice Alan! It is great that you are able to take something with you on trips like this.

I am starting to think about what, if anything I can bring with me on my trip to Australia in January.....:Think:
Thanks Brett. As I mentioned in the intro to this report I typically take my ED80, which gathered nearly 400 new objects in my first two trips here. Such a scope is very portable and certainly a capable instrument. The third trip was with my cheap 4.5" newt OTA I only managed to add 59 new objects. Despite its cheap build and resulting frustrations, I also had a string of really poor conditions in which the clouds were merciless.

I am not certain where you are going in Oz, but, I would try to take something that you could carry on. What I did this time goes against all conventional wisdom honestly, and I tried to pack it to combat what I knew would be rough handling. I was fortunate that it made it through. Another potential is to reach out to some of the vendors there to see if they rent scopes, or even one of the local clubs. Since there are astro dealers there, unlike the vast majority of countries, one could even buy a new or used scope there and see if they would buy it back (at a reduced cost of course) as a used item for resell or perhaps donate it to a local club.

There are various possibilities that could be explored, but given the opportunity you have to go there, I would be looking at trying to get my hands on as much aperture as possible - but that is how I think of course. It just depends on how much observing time you will have, how motivated you find yourself to be and what your observing goals are. On the minimalist front, one could always take binoculars. They are easy to pack and will give you good results. :)

helicon wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:55 pm Great that you could take along a 6" on your business trip Alan. I am sure it makes a world of difference compared to an 80mm objective. Nice catch on the Southern galaxies as well.
Thank you Michael. It was a harrowing trip, worrying about the scope of course. Once I turned it over to the airlines at check-in, it was literally out of my hands though. So what would be, would be, and in this case I came up a winner. :)
Alan

KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

I am definitely bringing my small birding binoculars - Polaris Optics 8x42's - probably not best for astronomical vieiwing, but should still be good.

Beyond that - I am not sure, as we do have bag restrictions as part of the tour has a flight from Sydney to Gold Coast. Most of the days and nights are filled with activities, so I do not think renting, etc. is an option. I suspect I'll just be happy with my small binoculars. Astronomy is not the focus of the trip, so I don't want it to put a "dampener" on the trip itself.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

KingNothing13 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:05 pm I am definitely bringing my small birding binoculars - Polaris Optics 8x42's - probably not best for astronomical vieiwing, but should still be good.

Beyond that - I am not sure, as we do have bag restrictions as part of the tour has a flight from Sydney to Gold Coast. Most of the days and nights are filled with activities, so I do not think renting, etc. is an option. I suspect I'll just be happy with my small binoculars. Astronomy is not the focus of the trip, so I don't want it to put a "dampener" on the trip itself.
Ok, so in that case I think binoculars would be a good thing to have along for quick looks. Since you will be in a tour group its doubtful you will get much of a chance to do astronomy, so going minimalist is the right choice. Seeing the sky well in the cities and along the Gold Coast might be challenging anyway due to LP. But it is still an opportunity, when you have opportunities, to get a different perspective of the sky and at least see some things you've never seen. Main thing is to enjoy the trip and time with family.

In my case since this is a business trip, with little time for fun, I make my own fun by dragging along gear. Being on vacation with family is not always conducive for engaging in our often solitary craft. :)
Alan

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Well, 5 galaxies are better than 4! :D

Hopefully, the cloud demons will cut you some slack on subsequent outings.

I've been at full astro stop for 12 days and no breaks in the forecast in sight. Big surprise. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

bladekeeper wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:13 pm Well, 5 galaxies are better than 4! :D

Hopefully, the cloud demons will cut you some slack on subsequent outings.

I've been at full astro stop for 12 days and no breaks in the forecast in sight. Big surprise. :lol:
Thanks buddy. I know how it goes, 5 is better than 4 is better than 3 is better than 2 is better than 1 is better than none! Sounds like another round of whack-a-mole to me! :lol:
Alan

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Hi Alan,

Great to see you manage a 6-incher on this current southerly trip!

I have been out of astronomy for about 4 mos. Attended RTMC 2019 last weekend and now my interest is slowly returning. Will bring a small scope with me when I go to Hawaii for my niece's wedding in two weeks.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A really nice report Alan, good luck with the continued observing :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

terrynak wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:13 pm Hi Alan,

Great to see you manage a 6-incher on this current southerly trip!

I have been out of astronomy for about 4 mos. Attended RTMC 2019 last weekend and now my interest is slowly returning. Will bring a small scope with me when I go to Hawaii for my niece's wedding in two weeks.
Hi Terry, nice to see you back with us. The trip has not panned out well for observing for the most part. Conditions have been a bit tough, but that's something we can't control anyway. Good luck on your upcoming trip and good to see you getting the observing bug again. :)
Alan