Another report - well, sort of

Let's see your reports!
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Another report - well, sort of

Post by turboscrew »

Started warming up my sauna around 8 PM. Well, the "bastu" (the quite underpowered electric stove).
I'm starting to run low on sauna-wood, and now that's warmer, the inadequate warmth doesn't feel that bad. Brought some beer and sausages in foil to be heated on the stove - a tradition from the 50's (I think). Half fried, half steamed.

At around 9 PM I brought my sauna-telescope out and did some checks, now that it was clear and the moon was well visible. I just had to try, because this is the last night with astro dark
this spring - generous 37 minutes of it. Tomorrow night, no more astro dark.

First I used 20 mm super-what to get the moon to the view. Then I changed to Radian 3 mm. Pretty
sharp image, although not much contrast - probably, because the sun was still up.
Tried with 3 mm Radian and the lighter moon filter (ND96-03), but that just made the contrast a little bit worse.
Then I tried the 4 mm Radian. Pretty much the same than with the 3 mm except slightly bigger part of the moon with shrunken details.
This is the first time I got to try the Radians. Good, but heavy lumps of glass. The friction based altitude-holding gave up a bit as the draw tube came out of the focuser. Well they are heavy (~300g) compared to the other eyepieces (~50g) selected for use this time.

The 3 mm Radian proved, that the mount is quite good (regardless...). The vibrations from touching the focuser, died almost immediately.

It has been exceptionally warm day, so the sauna got ready exceptionally fast.
At 10 PM it was ready. I was not in hurry, because the moon would have been the only thing visible. The civil twilight started at 9:45 PM and the nautical at 10:48 PM. The astro dark started at 01:04 AM.

At 10:15 PM, after I put some goodies for the dog to have something to do while I'm in sauna, I was ready to go.

The first löylys were warmer than I expected. This time my old 10.5 kW Harvia electric stove did better than I expected.

Then cooling-off. There was still nothing to see in the sky, except the moon.
Back to löyly.

During the next cooling-off, still not dark enough. Went to the house and got my camera. Took a couple of pictures.
My cool-off place:
IMG_0827_small.JPG
A view from the cool-off place (still some snow left):
IMG_0830_small.JPG
and the moon (by now):
IMG_0831_small.JPG
Sorry for the quality, but it was hard without a tripod.
Now I was getting cold. Back to löyly.

I could smell that the sausages were ready. It's not that precise, 10 minutes more or less doesn't really mean anything when it comes to sausages on a stove. Some good löylys and out to dressing room with the sausages. Sausages, mustard and beer - nice snack. Back to löyly.

At the beginning of the next cool-off I realized, that it had become darker. I could spot Leo immediately. Many other stars had emerged and the big dipper was right above. I decided to have another look to Leo's neck (Algieba) again. With 6 mm BCO I saw a brighter star and a dimmer star to the east (FOW-wise) from the brighter. But considering that Leo was already diving behind trees in, maybe, 40° angle, that makes the dimmer to the NE (FOV-wise) from the brighter. With my tube and a diagonal, that means that the dimmer is really to NW from the brighter. Run inside to get the 3 mm Radian, and it showed the same. I saw 3 interference rings around both stars and the middle rings touched each other. The colour looked yellowish-orangish, but hard to say. The 3 mm Radian was very picky about the focusing. While in house, I checked that it was 11:40 PM and the thermometer showed +4°C outside.
Had to take a bush-pee before going to löyly (yes, it's possible here), and on my way I saw that a rowan had started to make leaves. Maybe the summer will come after all.
Back to löyly. The stove had had enough time to get itself together again, so I got quite nice löyly again. The stove was doing amazingly well considering how underpowered it is. The sauna of this size would need an electric stove of around 25 kW, but that would mean changing the stove and all the electrics between it and the delivery lines, including the underground cable between the main building and the auxiliary building.

During the next cool-off I had to go to the house again - I run out of note paper. The good side in the light nights is that you don't need any artificial light for walking.
Back to löyly.

During the next cool-off I tried to find the M51. It's hard because the handle of big dipper is so close to the zenith. And due to the light night, I couldn't see any "guide stars" with naked eyes.
I replaced the red dot finder with the straight 6 x 30 finder that I replaced with a 9 x 50 RACI on the VX12. I was hoping for enough aperture to see some "guide stars", but all I saw was bluish-gray background with one star here another star there. And my neck started to disagree. I was also feeling a bit cold again - back to löyly.

During the next cool-off, tried M51 again, and failed. Just too close to zenith, and too light night. The handle of the big dipper pointed to a bright star. Didn't see enough stars to figure out the constellation, but decided to have a look - I suspected it to be Arcturus.
Started with 20 mm "super-what", then 6 mm BCO. Only the 3 mm Radian gave out that the diffraction pattern looked suspicious. It looked like a close double - too close to actually split, but obviously the Airy-disk was elongated, like two merged Airy-disks, but I couldn't quite be sure.
Getting cold again - back to löyly.

During the next cool-off I looked to the east and saw Cygnus lying on its side, but from Lyra I only saw Vega, Sulafat and Sheliak. Just sat and listened to nothing. No birds no cars no other people. Back to löyly.

When I stepped out to cool off again, I realized that the night is over. Even the big dipper had disappeared. A couple of stars here and there but too sparse to tell the constellations. Brought the scope and optics in the house, and went back for last löyly. Then washed, and as the tradition requires, threw a good löyly and left a can of beer for the sauna-elf. (You don't want to piss-off your sauna-elf, believe me!) And that's it. It was 2:55 when I got in. Still a quick walk with the dog and then to bed.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Another report - well, sort of

Post by kt4hx »

Quite the interesting report Juha. Certainly highlights the issues of observing at the more extreme latitudes. I have been as far north as about 58 deg (Gothenborg) so I understand the lack of astro dark after a certain point. That is why I am quite thankful that here we have 6 hrs of astro dark even on our shortest night this year (21 June). I enjoyed your story and your routine for enjoying the outdoors and night sky.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

kt4hx wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:01 pm Quite the interesting report Juha. Certainly highlights the issues of observing at the more extreme latitudes. I have been as far north as about 58 deg (Gothenborg) so I understand the lack of astro dark after a certain point. That is why I am quite thankful that here we have 6 hrs of astro dark even on our shortest night this year (21 June). I enjoyed your story and your routine for enjoying the outdoors and night sky.
I wasn't sure how people might feel about my astronomy report mixed with a "saunology report". :lol:
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

turboscrew wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:08 pm
kt4hx wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:01 pm Quite the interesting report Juha. Certainly highlights the issues of observing at the more extreme latitudes. I have been as far north as about 58 deg (Gothenborg) so I understand the lack of astro dark after a certain point. That is why I am quite thankful that here we have 6 hrs of astro dark even on our shortest night this year (21 June). I enjoyed your story and your routine for enjoying the outdoors and night sky.
I wasn't sure how people might feel about my astronomy report mixed with a "saunology report". :lol:

Oh I think people like hearing about how others pursue astronomy in their own unique environment. You do what you do, I do what I do and they do what they do. Our commonality is the love of the night sky. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I sympathize with you Juha on the lack of observing time at a northerly latitude. I recall salmon fishing in Alaska when I was 20 in the summer and never seeing a dark sky. Best it got was kind of dusky. Once a week on Saturday we would come back to port at the harbor at Pt. Moller in the Aleutians and have a large bonfire coupled with an enormous beer bash. During the week it was work up to 72 hours straight with just a few catnaps as the salmon were running and there were nets to attend to. Sold most of our catch to Nichiro Seafoods of Japan whose tender ships had large suction houses to vacuum up all the fish from the deck.

The sauna and observing combo sounds really good! Better luck with M51 whenever you can catch it!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

kt4hx wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:13 pm Oh I think people like hearing about how others pursue astronomy in their own unique environment. You do what you do, I do what I do and they do what they do. Our commonality is the love of the night sky. :)
Well said! And we're all friends here!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

That was a smartly planned session Juha! Even if astronomy portion was challenging you still got sauna, beer and sausages. Sounds like quality time. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

A good example of combining two healthy activities , amateur astronomy and sauna. (I'll forget about the sausages ) Pity the nights are already too light for serious deepsky at your latitude.
Nice report! :D
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

John Baars wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:28 pm (I'll forget about the sausages )
:lol: :lol: :lol:
- Juha

milanpicard
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by milanpicard »

Nice sauna-night, I bet not many do it like you.😊
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Most. Bizarre. Report. Ever. :D To be honest, sounds like a great combination what with the sauna-cooked sausages, beer and stars! :lol: Shame the light nights are kicking in though - there's just another week left for us before there's zero astro-dark here as well until the end of July. :(
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

davesellars wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:27 pm Most. Bizarre. Report. Ever. :D To be honest, sounds like a great combination what with the sauna-cooked sausages, beer and stars! :lol: Shame the light nights are kicking in though - there's just another week left for us before there's zero astro-dark here as well until the end of July. :(
Well, now you know what kind of activity it is, when you observe during sauna. :lol:
I plan to stick more to the astronomy from now on.
- Juha

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Juha. A very interesting fun read report. And you illustrate the concept of amateur astronomy viewing. You do what you can when and how you can. Thanks for your report Juha and the best of wishes on your next astronomy adventure.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

turboscrew wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:24 pm Well, now you know what kind of activity it is, when you observe during sauna. :lol:
I plan to stick more to the astronomy from now on.
Most of my neighbors don't quite comprehend the joy of rolling around (mostly) naked in a snowbank. Ah well, it's their loss.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

I'm not into sauna but astro, beer, and sausages sound like a great combo to me.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

GCoyote wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:09 am I'm not into sauna but astro, beer, and sausages sound like a great combo to me.
Transparency is poor here, but tomorrow is another day. ;) The sauna stories are evoking reminiscing about hot springs in Japan.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Thanks Juha!
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

Lol, I like your style, I got a real kick out of this! I see the snow in your yard you mentioned, we are WAY past that. Great post!
I’ve learned a lot since I knew it all.
150mm Orion Mak-Cass, Orion StarSeeker IV GoTo mount, Telrad.
Orion 10 & 23mm (set 1.25), Explore Scientific 9 & 18mm, 2x GSO Barlow, just purchased 2” Orion twist diagonal, GSO 32mm plossl and Agena 8-24 zoom.