Observing Report for 24 April 2022 - a second night in the saddle

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 24 April 2022 - a second night in the saddle

Post by kt4hx »

The second night of our stay at the dark site house held the promise of average to above average transparency, with average seeing – always a fine combination. After having slept well the night before after my first session, and doing some work outdoors on the property during the day I relaxed for a while before moving the gear back out of the garage. I got started again after 2130 hours and planned to go until around midnight or a little after. The air was nice out as the high temperature for the day was around 78° F (25.5° C) and it was pleasant enough early on to observe in a t-shirt and sweat pants. Only later on did I slip on a light jacket as the air cooled a little at our nearly 2,800 ft (~853 m) altitude.

The goal was pretty much the same as the evening before, to explore some areas within the Coma-Virgo Galaxy Cluster a little more in depth than I had in the past with the aim of adding some new galaxies to the logbook. The sky was fine, I was feeling fine (for the most part) and my eye was at the ready. I first re-visited Messier 87 to pick up a couple of dimmer galaxies in the field around it, and then I turned to chart D3 in the Interstellarum atlas and chart A15 in the Uranometria atlas to begin my foraging around the area of Messier 49. With that let’s get going on this new journey!

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 21mm (94x, 1.1° TFOV, 4.7mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

Messier 87 / NGC 4486 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=8.6, size=8.3’x6.6’, SBr=12.7):
The infamous Virgo-A radio source galaxy is the giant of this galaxy cluster. I easily located it sweeping westward from Vindemiatrix (Epsilon Vir) galaxy hopping through the fields I had visited the evening before. As it slid into view at 94x it was a very bright fat oval glow with an intense core region. I easily spotted the two brighter galaxies to its west, NGC 4476 and 4480, neither of which were my targets. Rather I was interested this evening and trying to ferret out two dimmer galaxies in close proximity to the behemoth, M87.

MCG 2-32-110 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.5, size=0.8’x0.7’, SBr=11.6):
Often listed as NGC 4486A, this elliptical lay immediately northwest of M87. It was suspected at 94x as a small round fuzzy halo 4’ west of an 8.5 mag field star. Confirmation of the diffuse glow was had at 152x with what seemed to be a foreground field star involved within the galaxy’s disk. Its presence was further solidified at 199x (New)

MCG 2-32-101 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.4, size= 0.6’x0.6’, SBr=12.0):
Often listed as NGC 4486B, another elliptical in close proximity to M87 just to its SSE. Using 152x I had only a suspicion that I was picking up this very small and round diffuse mote. Going to 199x I was able to confirm it in the view by using averted vision to boost its contrast. Overall it was a very weak object visually. (New)

I believe some of the difficulty with the last object was due to not being fully dark adapted and the fact that seeing seemed a little soft at the beginning of the session. Nonetheless the mission was accomplished and now it was time to move on to the main thrust of the evening – the field around Messier 49. I move southwest from Vindemiatrix, hopping down to 32 then 31 Virginis.

NGC 4612 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=11.5, size=2.7’x2.0’, SBr=13.1):
To get started I revisited this previously observed galaxy just north of 31 Vir. Easily spotted with 94x it presented a small but somewhat bright oval. It displayed a broadly brighter central region. At 152x it was very obvious in the field next to a mag 10.5 field star. Its core area took on a more involved appearance now, showing a stellar core with a brighter central lens surrounding by its more diffuse outer halo. This galaxy was quite a nice way to get the ball rolling.

NGC 4623 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.3, size=2.2’x0.7’, SBr=12.5):
Less than half a degree NNE of NGC 4612 I located this barred lenticular. I was still at 152x and it was a small and slightly bright thin homogenous finger of light. (New)

NGC 4598 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.7, size=1.4’x1.1’, SBr=12.9):
Nearly 1° to the northwest of the last object I found my next. Picked up with 152x it was a small and dim oval. It had a ghostly diffuse look and was not a strong presence in the field. (New)

NGC 4578 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=11.5, size=3.1’x2.3’, SBr=13.4):
Continuing the trend northwesterly for just under 1.5° I picked up this lenticular using 152x. Somewhat bright, it presented a small oval glow. Its interior displayed a distinct central lens of brightness within the overall all halo. Within this lens was a stellar core. (New)

NGC 4519 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.8, size=3.2’x2.5’, SBr=13.8):
Still searching with 152x I next located this subtly large oval glow. It had a lower surface brightness, having a bit of a ghostly appearance. Its interior displayed a slightly brighter concentrated non-stellar core. I tried to pin down a nearby galaxy to its northwest, MCG 2-32-134 (sometimes listed as NGC 4519A) using both 199x and 283x, but was unsuccessful in confirming this small dim mag 15.2 object. (New)

NGC 4522 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=3.6’x1.0’, SBr=13.4):
Still using 152x as my finding magnification I located this barred spiral. Visually it was a small and slightly dim oval glow. I would it diffuse and evenly illuminated across its dimension. (New)

NGC 4535 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=10.0, size=7.1’x5.0’, SBr=13.6):
In the nearby area was this previously observed galaxy, that I gave a look at 152x. I found it pretty bright and somewhat large visually. The brighter central area was slightly elongated with an intermittent stellar core showing, while the overall halo was uneven and diffuse. The central elongation I attributed to its central bar and its general unevenness due to its face-on orientation and the darker areas between the spiral arms. It was a nice visual treat indeed.

NGC 4526 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=9.3, size=7.0’x2.5’, SBr=12.1
Also close by was another previously observed object. This object is known informally as the “Lost Galaxy” because of its probable duplicate identifier of NGC 4560 and errors made in William Herschel’s positional data. Regardless I stopped by for a visit since it had been about 11 years since I last observed it. With 152x it was very bright and somewhat large in visual extent. Its oval disk displayed a broadly brighter center lens with an intermittent stellar core set within. Like the previous object, it was a fine object to revisit.

NGC 4518 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.0’x.04’, SBr=12.5):
MCG 1-32-94 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=14.2, size=0.9’x0.3’, SBr=12.5):

About 15’ northwest of the previous object I pulled down NGC 4518 as a dim and small oval using 152x. Visually it was an evenly illuminated puff of diffuse light. Using 199x and particularly 283x I was getting a sense of increased elongation that did not seem quite right for this object alone. As I studied it further I was picking up increasing diffuse elongation off the primary galaxy’s southern end that was dimmer than my impression of the oval disk alone. I could only attribute this to the presence of the secondary galaxy, which is sometimes listed as NGC 4518B. The secondary galaxy is not a true member of the Virgo group as it is much more distant than is NGC 4518, presenting only a line of sight pair. (New - 2)

Messier 49 / NGC 4472 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=8.4, size=10.2’x8.3’, SBr=13.0):
I now finally moved over to the brightest galaxy in this area, and picked up in the 8x50 RACI optical finder. At 152x it was a very bright and large very thick oval glow. Its interior displayed a very noticeable broad brightness within its diffuse outer halo. This one is indeed a beautiful example of an elliptical galaxy.

NGC 4470 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.1, size=1.3’x0.9’, SBr=12.0):
This spiral is found south of M49 and was easily spotted within the same field of view at 152x. It presented a somewhat bright small oval that was homogeneous in appearance. (New)

NGC 4464 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.5, size=0.9’x0.7’, SBr=11.7):
Also within the same field with M49 and just to its northwest was this elliptical. Small in angular size, it was slightly bright out of round glow at 152x. Its halo was softly diffuse with a stellar core at its center. (New)

NGC 4492 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.7’x1.6’, SBr=13.4):
About 18.5’ ENE of M49 I found this spiral with no difficulty at 152x. It presented a small and just slightly bright smoothly illuminated out of round glow. It lay between a wide pair of field stars (11th and 13th mag). (New)

NGC 4488 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.2, size=4.1’x1.7’, SBr=14.0):
Turning north from the previous object about 17’ I spotted this barred lenticular easily with 152x. It was just slightly small and elongated. Its disk was of lower surface brightness and smoothly illuminated. A dim 14th mag field star lay along its western edge. (New)

NGC 4469 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=11.2, size=3.8’x1.3’, SBr=12.7):
Slipping back to the area north of M49 I swept up my next object. With 152x it was slightly small and somewhat bright. Elongated in shape, it presented a thin homogeneous disk. (New)

NGC 4483 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.2, size=1.6’x0.8’, SBr=12.2):
At 152x this object presented a small and slightly bright oval with a stellar core pinned to its center. (New)

NGC 4434 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.2, size=1.4’x1.4’, SBr=12.7):
This previously galaxy lay WNW of M49 and I used it as my guidepost to some other unlogged galaxies nearby. At 152x it was a small and somewhat bright round glow exhibiting a noticeable stellar core.

NGC 4416 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.4, size=1.7’x1.3’, SBr=13.2):
Almost 19’ southwest of the previous object I pinned down this barred spiral. With 152x it was a small and slightly dim to the eye. A little out of round visually it presented a smoothly illuminated disk. (New)

UGC 7580 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.8’x0.5’, SBr=13.2):
Immediately southeast of NGC 4434 I looked for this dim lenticular. Fleetingly suspected at 152x, I went up ahead up to 283x and confirmed its presence as a fairly small and dim little ghostly dust bunny. (New)

NGC 4415 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.1, size=1.4’x1.2’, SBr=13.2):
To the northwest of NGC 4434 I easily spotted this object using 152x. It presented a small and slightly dim out of round homogeneous glow. (New)

NGC 4410-1 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=0.5’x0.4’, SBr=10.8):
NGC 4410-2 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.6, size=0.5’x0.5’, SBr=11.8):

This is a merged and interacting double system comprised of PGC 40694 (NGC 4410-1) and PGC 40697 (NGC 4410-2). Together they comprise the official catalogue entry for NGC 4410, but are sometimes designated as 1 and 2 to differentiate. The first object was small and dim but clearly the brighter of the tight pair at 152x. The second component was dimmer though both were nearly equal in angular size visually. Both were round in shape and homogeneous in appearance. I was likely only seeing the core areas of both inside of a very dim and low surface brightness common halo. (New – 2)

NGC 4411 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.7, size=2.0’x1.9’, SBr=13.9):
MCG 2-32-55 (Virgo, intermediate spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=2.5’x2.5’, SBr=14.0):

South of the previous pair of galaxies, was another pair of galaxies. The primary galaxy of the pair is NGC 4411 is a face-on barred spiral that was easily spotted with 152x. It presented a small and dim (low surface brightness) round homogeneous disk. This galaxy also carries the designation IC 3339 due to a duplicate discovery and some initial identification issues. Just over 4’ west of NGC 4411 is the face-on intermediate spiral MCG 2-32-55, sometimes erroneously labeled as NGC 4411B. At 152x it too was a dim (low surface brightness) and smallish round disk. Like the primary galaxy it was smoothly illuminated across its face. This second galaxy was confused by Dreyer for NGC 4411 in the NGC and it was never given either its own NGC or IC designation despite being known. (New – 2)

NGC 4445 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=2.6’x0.5’, SBr=12.8):
About half a degree northeast of the previous pair of galaxies I settled on a wide pair of 9th magnitude stars. In the field of view just to their north was this small and thin sliver of light. Dim to the eye, it was a ghostly little finger at 152x. (New)

NGC 4451 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.5’x0.9’, SBr=12.6):
Just to the southeast of the pair of 9th mag field stars and in the same field at 152x was this little spiral. Dim to the eye, it presented a homogeneous little oval that was a little brighter than the previous galaxy. (New)

NGC 4424 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.7, size=3.5’x1.7’, SBr=13.4):
Still in the same field of view, and now northwest of the pair of stars was the brightest and largest of the three. At 152x it was a small and subtly bright smooth oval disk. The view was quite nice, with the pair of 9th mag field stars and the three galaxies positioned around them. (New)

NGC 4442 (Virgo, barred lenticular, mag=10.4, size=4.5’x1.8’, SBr=12.4):
Just north of the previous widely spaced triplet was this previously observed galaxy. Since it was nearby I gave it a cursory view at 152x. It presented a bright, slightly large elongated disk with a stellar core pinned to its center.

NGC 4417 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=11.1, size=3.3’x1.4’, SBr=12.5):
Another previously observed galaxy was just NNW of the previous group. Also given a quick look-see at 152x, it was a somewhat bright and slightly large elongated oval with a thick center and stellar core.

NGC 4380 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=11.7, size=3.5’x1.9’, SBr=13.5):
A little over half a degree northwest of the previous object I spotted this spiral using 152x. It displayed a slightly large and subtly bright homogeneous oval disk. (New)

NGC 4390 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.6’x1.2’, SBr=13.0):
Not quite another half degree to the NNE of the last galaxy I located my next target. Using 152x it revealed a small and dim oval disk that was evenly illuminated across its dimension. (New)

NGC 4360 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.3, size=1.5’x1.2’, SBr=12.7):
IC 3274 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.5’x0.4’, SBr=12.3):

Nudging back to the southwest I swept up another pairing of galaxies. The primary one, NGC 4360, was easily seen with 152x as a small and slightly dim thick oval glow with an intermittent stellar core flickering in and out. Also observed with 199x and 283x while looking for its companion, it was much more apparent in the field. Just a couple of arc minutes to the southwest I looked for IC 3274, sometimes incorrectly listed as NGC 4360B, however it was unseen at 152x. Going ahead to 199x it was now suspected as a very dim and very small round diffuse glow. Its presence in the field was confirmed at 283x as a small round homogeneous disk. (New - 2)

NGC 4307 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.0, size=3.5’x0.8’, SBr=12.9):
Next up was this nearly edge-on spiral, just over half a degree to the southwest. At 152x it was a smallish and slightly bright thin homogeneous sliver of diffuse light. (New)

NGC 4365 (Virgo, elliptical galaxy, mag=9.6, size=6.9’x5.0’, SBr=13.2):
Shifting a little more southward to the WSW of M49, I stopped by this previously observed galaxy for a few moments as it was the anchor spot to work through my last field for the evening. At 152x this elliptical was bright and somewhat large in angular extent. Its thick oval disk displayed a brighter central lens with a stellar core buried within.

NGC 4370 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.3’x0.7’, SBr=12.2):
A mere 10’ northeast of bright NGC 4365 I picked up this small and dim oval homogeneous glow using 152x. I also took a look at 199x and while more obvious it remained dim and diffuse. (New)

NGC 4341 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.7’x0.6’, SBr=13.0):
About 15’ to the southwest of NGC 4365 I pinned down this small and fairly dim diffuse oval with 152x. I also tried it with 199x and while easier it remained dim in the view. (New)

NGC 4342 (Virgo, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.2’x0.6’, SBr=11.9):
In the same view and only about 5’ to the southwest of the previous galaxy I also picked up this lenticular. At 152x it displayed a stellar core within a small oval disk. It was dim but clearly brighter than the previous object. Using 199x it was much more apparent. (New)

NGC 4343 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.1, size=2.3’z0.7’, SBr=12.4):
The final galaxy in a line of three with NGC 4341 and 4342, this spiral was small and dim to the eye at 152x. It presented an elongated homogeneous oval, and even at 199x it was a bit weak visually. (New)

NGC 4309 (Virgo, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.8’x1.0’, SBr=13.2):
Just over half a degree WSW of NGC 4365 I swept up my next object. Using 152x it presented a small and dim smoothly illuminated oval disk. Even at 199x it was not visually strong, though not difficult. (New)

NGC 4430 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.0, size=2.3’x2.0’, SBr=13.4):
My final object was this barred spiral found a little over 1° southeast of NGC 4365. It was picked up using 152x and revealed a small and dim ghostly homogeneous rounded disk. Even observing at 199x and 283x it remained dim and ghostly, though not particularly difficult. I tried the higher magnifications to try and ferret out mag 14.0 NGC 4432 just to the southeast of NGC 4430, but was unsuccessful. (New)

It was just after midnight and I’d had my fill. My observations of the final few objects seemed to indicate some deteriorating conditions as the galaxies were not as bright and apparent as I would have expected for this mag/SBr listings. After the final object I took a few minutes to look around the sky and could clearly see it was becoming compromised by high thin clouds, so it was no wonder my impression of the degrading transparency was happening.

So it was indeed an excellent time to call it a night, move the gear back into the garage and get some rest before we headed back home Monday morning. All in all it was two good nights of galaxy hunting and I got my observing legs back under me after the weeks of down time. Thanks for following along and hope you all can get out there and revel in the wonder of the Coma-Virgo Galaxy Cluster, a simply stunning piece of celestial real estate. Good luck and keep looking up friends.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 24 April 2022 - a second night in the saddle

Post by Unitron48 »

Pretty impressive haul, Alan! I'll check out your report in more detail tomorrow morning over coffee! Heading to bed!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Like you said, a stunning piece of celestial real estate. I can imagine someone getting lyrical about this! I already get very pleasantly surprised when I have two galaxies in one field of view. Let alone when during a session a huge amount of galaxies pass by your eyes.
Nice report, thanks!
Imho recommended for VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:49 am Pretty impressive haul, Alan! I'll check out your report in more detail tomorrow morning over coffee! Heading to bed!!

Dave

Thank you Dave. Hope you enjoyed your sleep, and then coffee upon waking! :)

John Baars wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:23 am Like you said, a stunning piece of celestial real estate. I can imagine someone getting lyrical about this! I already get very pleasantly surprised when I have two galaxies in one field of view. Let alone when during a session a huge amount of galaxies pass by your eyes.
Nice report, thanks!
Imho recommended for VROD!

Thank you John. It can get a bit surreal when you have multiple galaxies within a single field of view. When star hopping turns to galaxy hopping one realizes just how special this section of the sky truly is. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

You seem to be alright again. No sick person could do that load. :lol:

And I second strongly Baars' suggestion for a VROD.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

turboscrew wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:11 pm You seem to be alright again. No sick person could do that load. :lol:

And I second strongly Baars' suggestion for a VROD.

Thank you Juha. Well maybe not sick in the normal sense. But I do admit to being obsessed/possessed of galaxy hunting! :lol:
Alan

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Unitron48 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:49 am Pretty impressive haul, Alan! I'll check out your report in more detail tomorrow morning over coffee! Heading to bed!!

Dave
Nice read, Alan! Some challenging targets.

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great session Alan! Every time I read your reports I go back to contemplating large DOB for myself. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

A very comprehensive viewing report there Alan.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:24 pm

Dave
Nice read, Alan! Some challenging targets.

Dave

Thanks Dave, glad you enjoyed it.

Bigzmey wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:30 pm Great session Alan! Every time I read your reports I go back to contemplating large DOB for myself. :D

Thanks Andrey. Glad that I could inspire aperture fever! :lol: All aperture levels can be satisfying and inspirational. But in terms of visual galaxy hunting, larger aperture can be a game changer without a doubt. I will be 68 next week and hopefully I will be blessed with many more years of being physically able to use the 17.5 inch over there. I have a lot of galaxies yet to chase and plan to do so if possible. :)

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:36 pm A very comprehensive viewing report there Alan.

Thank you Vanessa. I am happy you took the time to read through it. :)
Alan

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

"I have a lot of galaxies yet to chase and plan to do so if possible."

So Alan, do you have a certain number, a certain set, of galaxies to capture?

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hello Alan. It is great to already read another of your reports with you "back in the saddle" again. Wow, this is a nice plethora of objects in the Coma-Virgo galaxy cluster. I am glad that the skies held up long enough to record this nice list of targets with the 17.5" Dob. Thanks for another wonderful and well written report Alan and the best of wishes for many more clear night skies.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:43 pm "I have a lot of galaxies yet to chase and plan to do so if possible."

So Alan, do you have a certain number, a certain set, of galaxies to capture?

Dave

Hi Dave. Well I do not work from traditional lists as a rule. I mean I have targeted things like the Hickson 100, the Arp galaxies or specific galaxy clusters from time to time, but I am not a slave to things like the Herschel lists. My approach is typically to decide on a certain area of the sky for an outing. That could entail anywhere from one to say three or four constellations that normally border one another. That way I keep my gross movements around the sky smaller and thus more productive in terms of time spent looking for objects. Then within those constellations I consult my log and print out a list (if you will) of the galaxies I already have in that constellation to take to the field with me so I can avoid as much duplication as possible. That said, I still revisit some already logged brighter galaxies if they are in close proximity to those I am pursuing. I also try to annotate both my field atlases (Interstellarum and Uranometria) for the previously observed objects, again with the aim of trying to limit duplication of effort. There are times I pick up something that is not plotted in either atlas. I then make a note about it and to "check" it after the fact. In those cases I go to Sky Tools on my laptop when organizing my notes to see if I can either validate what I believe I saw or rule it out.

Additionally, I may stop by a showpiece object in another part of the sky periodically to allow my observing eye to relax a little since it is tiring to spend so much energy seeking out dimmer galaxies. That gives me a break and a chance to rest a little. I typically try not to spend much time on my step stool as going up and down adds to my fatigue and frankly bothers my back after a while. I added a fairly long aerobics step to my gear, which gives me a little bit of a boost upward and is very stable. I like using it a lot versus the step stool. I typically try to avoid the use of the step stool if possible by targeting objects away from higher elevations. Every time I go out my primary goal is to log 20 new galaxies. I can typically hit that number (often more) in a typical two hour session. But occasionally I am mentally off my game or conditions get away from me and I do not make that personal goal.

Anyway, that is some insight to how I operate in the field. I certainly know that doing as I do will not be for a lot of people, but it works quite well for me and I am very comfortable with my process. :)

Makuser wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:59 pm Hello Alan. It is great to already read another of your reports with you "back in the saddle" again. Wow, this is a nice plethora of objects in the Coma-Virgo galaxy cluster. I am glad that the skies held up long enough to record this nice list of targets with the 17.5" Dob. Thanks for another wonderful and well written report Alan and the best of wishes for many more clear night skies.

Thank you Marshall. I appreciate your kind comments and happy that you enjoyed riding along with me. :)
Alan

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Thanks for the insight, Alan! There are an endless number of wondrous celestial objects. More than one can see in a lifetime...even with scopes much smaller than your 17.5 inch DOB. Keep reporting. We greatly appreciate your detailed reports.

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

milanpicard
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by milanpicard »

Nice catches, Alan, and the descriptions really make me get the feeling of being right there and watching with you. :) Nice!
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Wonderful report Alan. Great series of explorations in Virgo and I concur with the VROD nominations for your well-written piece....
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

milanpicard wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:36 pm Nice catches, Alan, and the descriptions really make me get the feeling of being right there and watching with you. :) Nice!

Thank you Milan. Glad you enjoyed reading along. :)

helicon wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:39 pm Wonderful report Alan. Great series of explorations in Virgo and I concur with the VROD nominations for your well-written piece....

Thank you Michael, appreciate your kind comments and the acknowledgement of my efforts. :)
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:25 pm Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you John, much appreciated.
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:10 am ...but I am not a slave to things like the Herschel lists...
I resent that! :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257