Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Waking Up With Orion

Post by Juno16 »

Good Morning All!

The really only qualifies as an observation in the general sense. More of an “Oh WOW” moment.

Walking out in the yard with a cup of coffee this morning and was surprised to see some cloud clearing. It’s been two or three weeks since I have seen a star!

While peering around, I saw an old friend low to the East. The Orion constellation. A real rush of a feeling!

In the dawn light, I grabbed the binos and had a look around. There was orange Betelgeuse to the North, blue Rigel to the South, Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka in the belt. I could just make out the sword and M42.

What an astronomical treasure!

Not only is the Orion constellation one of the most beautiful and recognized constellations in the heavens, it also contains some of the finest astrophotography targets. The Orion nebula, the Running Man nebula, the Horsehead nebula, and the Flame nebula to name the most popular.

Gets me excited to think that I will actually get a chance to image these treasures soon!

I grabbed the dogs and headed out the door for a walk at 5:20 hoping to catch another glimpse. No going there, clouded over again.
Still, I am fortunate to have a school access road close by. It’s wooded and is a great break from my suburban neighborhood. I could hear three owls communicating from different distant directions. Nice. At 75 degrees it felt good outside. A nice break from the low 80 degree dawn temps that we normally have in August on the Mississippi coast.

Just before I got back to the house, I got a window in the clouds to spot Orion again. The view lasted about 30 seconds, sweet!

A few things beat it, but not many. Started my day off well!

I appreciate you reading my ramblings. I know that many of you can really appreciate it though!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Waking Up With Orion

Post by KingClinton »

Here in the south seeing Orion in the early mornings is a reminder that winter is on the way out and spring/summer is on the way in!

Looking forward to seeing the images you come up with.
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

KingClinton wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:05 am Here in the south seeing Orion in the early mornings is a reminder that winter is on the way out and spring/summer is on the way in!

Looking forward to seeing the images you come up with.
A quick peek at cleardarksky says it won’t be anytime soon!

Spring/summer is on the way for you Clinton, and Autumn/ Winter is on the way for me!

Still have a good bit of hot ahead before we cool here though. Heck, the peak of hurricane season is still a month away!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Great report, Jim. Thus far I have only been able to pick up Rigel in the pre-dawn sky here in CT, along with Capella shining brightly in the Northeast sky. Looking forward to catching up with the rest of Orion soon, and Sirius as well, true harbingers of the cooler weather to come. Hoping the clouds cooperate soon!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

I am enjoying your fine report, Jim.
I relate well to your sentiment regarding the delight in your views, fleeting though they may be.
I hope you have a great day !
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks Bob and Mark!

Great way to start the day for sure!

I turn 64 this month and decided today I would start looking into Medicare options. Wow! This will be a daunting task!
Up there with Astrophotography, but nowhere near as much fun!

Have a fine day!

Jim
Jim

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:33 pm Thanks Bob and Mark!

Great way to start the day for sure!

I turn 64 this month and decided today I would start looking into Medicare options. Wow! This will be a daunting task!
Up there with Astrophotography, but nowhere near as much fun!

Have a fine day!

Jim
Hi Jim.
Yes, Medicare. It is relatively simple but the book they send you is more than anyone in the universe will ever read. :-)

I turned 65 in June and signed up for social security and medicare in May. I received my 1st social security check at the end of July "bu haaa" ! Having been self employed all my life it was my FIRST "paycheck".

I am sure you will do your research. I found it helpful to talk to friends and family who are already in. Plus I have a long term relationship with an insurance broker who has covered my business operations for 30 years and I sat down with him to talk about the secondary insurance options. This was a very helpful meeting me.

It is less interesting than AP...for sure. :-)
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Yikes - I am at the same place, Medicare-wise. Not looking forward to it!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I know that feeling...thanks for sharing!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Nice Jim, I haven't seen the big O yet this year.

Here is one of my favourite old "Orion" themed songs.

Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Seeing Orion in the morning definitely stirs emotions. For me is more like No, No I am not ready for winter yet! :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Geez - I am barely conscious when I get out of bed between 6am and 6:30am during the week, I would not be able to function that early! :lol:

Orion will, soon enough, be up in the night sky - and I'll be cursing it for bringing yet another winter.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice deal Jim! I'm with you there; getting a look in the pre-dawn hours...:D Nice you got to see Orion through some clear sky as well. And it is a good start to a day!

Say Hi to Jack and give him a scratch for me... :D

Hope the rest of your day has been just as good,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Kanadalainen wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:02 pm Nice Jim, I haven't seen the big O yet this year.

Here is one of my favourite old "Orion" themed songs.

Ian, that is a fantastic video! I hope lots of members watch it. Really amazing, especially if you are an Orion fan!

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:33 pm Seeing Orion in the morning definitely stirs emotions. For me is more like No, No I am not ready for winter yet! :lol:

I don’t know Bigz, for me, I am over this heat! Now I realize why lots of people in the South don’t do much imaging (or anything else) in the warmer months (most of the year, here). After the very brief moment of semi-clarity this morning, the sky clouded over and it rained all day!

KingNothing13 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:56 pm Geez - I am barely conscious when I get out of bed between 6am and 6:30am during the week, I would not be able to function that early! :lol:

Orion will, soon enough, be up in the night sky - and I'll be cursing it for bringing yet another winter.

Unfortunately, I can’t sleep in. Maybe from years of getting to work by 6 a.m. I wake up starting about 4 and after trying unsuccessfully to go back to sleep, I just get up. I really do enjoy the peace and solitude of the early morning though.

Thefatkitty wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:20 pm Nice deal Jim! I'm with you there; getting a look in the pre-dawn hours...:D Nice you got to see Orion through some clear sky as well. And it is a good start to a day!

Say Hi to Jack and give him a scratch for me... :D

Hope the rest of your day has been just as good,

Great way to start the day Mark!

Jack gets scratched all day long,but I gave him another at your request!

Thanks all,
Jim
Jim

OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl »

I don't know if it's from getting older, getting crankier or what, but I'm over summer in the south. I love winter months and it doesn't hurt that that is the best observing time for my part of the world.
I say bring it on !!!
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. Sarah Williams

[img src="http://www.cleardarksky.com/c/CpLkNSNCcs0.gif?1"]
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

One last parting “shot” for this thread.

Not a good image, but just a snapshot with my iphone8 this morning while walking the dogs.

I would like to say that there were high sheet clouds at the time, but the last time I said that, Bryan had too much fun with it.
1E21D5C2-6F02-46F3-83B1-FBC3A57E271F.jpeg
Thanks,
Jim
Jim

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

What a way to start the day! Great!
The feeling of Winterwonderland in August!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Excellent Jim. Orion always buoys one's spirits when you get to see it. And staying up really late (or getting up early) means you get to enjoy it without the cold temperatures.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

helicon wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:52 pm Excellent Jim. Orion always buoys one's spirits when you get to see it. And staying up really late (or getting up early) means you get to enjoy it without the cold temperatures.

You got it Michael!

Orion is just one of those “Oh Wow” naked eye sights for me. Very good to see it come around again.

Looks like it will be high enough in the sky this year to hopefully catch some good images!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim