Bad Night

Let's see your reports!
seer
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

Bad Night

Post by seer »

I got out with my new telescope last night. The sky wasn't perfectly clear but it was pretty good. Last night was just fumbling with the telescope and not much else. This might have been the scopes first time out. I might not have sighted it in but I figured oh well I'll just do a rough job of it for some point and looks. I could not see stars through the RDF. I could see the red dot and I did dim it but I could not see stars and one of the stars I tried was Vega. This is the stock RDF that came with the scope. I've had to replace several of them in the past.
Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
seer
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Bad Night

Post by seer »

I have 2 universal dovetail bases for finderscopes. I just dug them out. The Astromania one came with mounting screws and nuts. The other one did not. The nuts that came with the Astromania dovetail base are not locking. Should I get and use locking nuts instead?
I want to replace the RDF on my 114mm Meade Polaris Reflector with a dovetail base to give me options like using an RDF or 6x30 finderscope.
Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Bad Night

Post by Graeme1858 »

Have you tried aligning the finder with the telescope during the day before the night time session. It's much easier to set up in daylight using something on the horizon.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/