Helping a friend with a new scope

Let's see your reports!
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Helping a friend with a new scope

Post by bobharmony »

Last night I stopped by some friends house to assist in setting up and trying out a scope I had led them to back in December (as a Christmas present from one to the other). They had put it together (correctly, I am happy to say), but had never actually taken it out and used it. The scope is a 150mm f/8 Skywatcher Dobsonian.

First I reviewed collimation with them and validated the secondary was centered in the drawtube, and the primary clips were visible looking through the focuser. Then stuck in the Hotech laser and showed them the adjustment screws, then adjusted the mirrors while explaining what was happen, and why.

Next up was aligning the finderscope. I swung the main scope over to Arcturus and let them play with the adjustments on the finder to get Arcturus centered there as well.

Since it was their first time using the scope, and because I have never driven a Dobsonian before, I decided to stick to targets that could be lined up in the finder for viewing through the scope.

We hit Mizar first, as it was readily visible from the deck, and is an interesting object. View was nice and crisp and Alcor was shining brightly in the field too. After that we messed around with trying to split them naked eye. One was able to, then both. Since I had the cataract surgery in March, it is a piece of cake for me.

We moved to the observing spot for the night, backyard with a relatively open view to the South, not quite level, and got to work. First up was Jupiter, which I lined up in the finder and had them practice focus and swapping the 25mm and 10mm eyepieces. They were amazed at seeing the four moons all strung out beside the planet. They couldn't pick out the bands at this point.

We tried a bunch of different platforms for the scope, including a table that was too tall for any of us, and a trunk that was a good height for objects low in altitude.

Next it was on to Saturn. I let them drive finding and lining up the target, which didn't go too badly. Then we were on to the squeals of delight when they saw the rings though the scope! More swapping eyepiece and general amazement.

Then on to Alberio. This was more of a challenge to get lined up, as the Moon and bright sky made it difficult to see naked eye, and its position near the zenith made using the finder a bit challenging. After we put the scope on the ground it became a bit easier to use the finder. Eventually they got there and were properly impressed by the easily visible color difference in the two star.

At that point they wanted to revisit Jupiter. This time the bands were readily apparent and one of them reported seeing a red spot, which I was able to verify.

We were coming to the end of the evening, and the Moon was right there next to Jupiter, so I let them burn out whatever night vision they had by looking at Luna. They were impressed with the details and the craters.

We packed everything in and laid into the brownies that had been prepared as my bribe. One of them asked about trying to take photos. It turned out that they don't have a camera other than an iPhone, so I mentioned that the next time they took the scope out, they could get the Moon in focus, and lay their Phone up to the eyepiece and fire away.

As we were driving home, I asked my wife when she thought they might try some photos. She answered that they were most likely already out there snapping pictures. Sure enough, by the time we got home, they had posted some pictures of the Moon on Facebook after they dragged the scope back out after we left.

All in all, a good experience all around. Next up, using coordinates to find things, and star hopping!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Helping a friend with a new scope

Post by Shabadoo »

... And they're hooked!

Good one Bob.
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Very cool Bob. Hopefully they stick with it.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

I bet they'll be thankful Bob, and it's a nice feeling being able to show newbies the way.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

What a nice scope!

Great job Bob for getting them off to a great start. Having someone close by on my first night out would have been a huge help.

I’m sure you got a kick out of showing your friends some beautiful sights too!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Well done, Bob! Good to get them started on the right track. Increases the chance that they will have a positive experience and stick with it!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

A perfectly executed textbook introduction to "Using Your New Telescope". When done right (as this obviously was) you get, in this case, two instant observational astronomy devotees.

Nicely done Bob,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi Bub, very nice of you and I'm with Jim; that would've been so nice for my first try at it :D

Good for you, sounds like they'll stick it out!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

So awesome, Bob! You done good, my friend! Thanks for sharing the experience wit us! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Another pair of fresh and new amateur-astronomers is born!
Thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
JML United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by JML »

Nice report. It is good to get new observers with new scopes out under the stars with someone who knows what to expect.
John

Backyard POD Observatory; Telescopes - Celestron C8, AT115EDT, AT60ED, ES AR102, Orion ST80, TeleVue Ranger 70mm, WO 50mm guide scope; Binoculars - Oberwerk 11x70 LW; Mounts - CEM60, CG5, Astro-Tech Voyager 2; Astrophotography Cameras - ASI1600MMC pro, Orion StarShoot AutoGuider.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great outreach and first light Bob! And they are into AP already. :D

They should get a phone holder for the EP. Tom (avid.astronomer) gets great Moon and planets shots with such setup.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:09 pm Great outreach and first light Bob! And they are into AP already. :D

They should get a phone holder for the EP. Tom (avid.astronomer) gets great Moon and planets shots with such setup.
That is a great idea. I'll look at the cost (he is a school teacher and she is just starting her own business) and see what they think. I was a bit surprised they went for the 150mm scope, I was expecting something smaller and on one of those crappy mounts. But what the heck, in for a penny, in for a pound, right? :) And being able to photograph planets will just push them over the edge (in a good way).

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

A wonderful accounting of your outing.
I enjoyed reading and following along, Bob.
I think this is some of the best fun in the hobby, introducing others.
Thank you again, Bob.
Clear skies to you, Sir !