Let's see your reports!
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

ISS and random objects

Post by davesellars »

The transparency last night was the best I've seen it this year - truly excellent.

Just after 6pm i took my family out to watch the ISS pass over as it was ideally positioned and would go to 61 degrees alt max and mag -3.1 Luck would have it the sky remained clear contrary to the forecast and the sky was already brimming with stars. With the binoculars it was quite easy at around 20-30 degrees alt, the shape of the ISS was quite obvious. After we watched that and spotting numerous small satellites crossing (to much excitement to the kids) I showed them M42 in the binoculars and we headed back to warm up with some cake that had just come out the oven.

After the kids were in bed I decided it was far too good not to go out even though I was feeling far from 100% - so instead of the dob I opted to take the 120ST with a BCO 10mm and 32mm (as my finder) in my pocket out on to park next to me where I wouldn't be impeded by a streetlight to attempt NGC 1788 - a reflection nebula in Orion. Unfortunately I didn't take out my iPad for SkySafari reference and ended up looking a little bit too low. It was one of those time where I should have taken out my S&T pocket atlas! Anyway, M42 looked superb with the 10mm and the running man was also easily visible. M31 (just visible naked eye) really showed a good area of dust in the 32mm and almost filled out the 10mm.

I switched to binoculars for an easier tour around without any real targets in mind. I revisted M31 and then on to M33 which rather unexpectedly showed a patch of light but no detail. The milky way was easily visible naked eye last night and could followed from Gemini through to Cassiopeia. The double cluster was stunning and just above that the area around the Heart & Soul nebula really showed extensive structure and a kind of density to it with the bins although difficult to say if I was seeing any nebulosity against the background of the milky way. Plieades was obviously a great view but could not discern any nebulosity.

A nice relaxed session in all. Pity I didn't capture NGC 1788 which was probably more down to me not looking in the right place but it was lovely just to have a look at the night sky and take it in without any real plan!
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: ISS and random objects

Post by turboscrew »

Oviously, that chance was not wasted! :smile:
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Very nice session Dave!
The kind of everyday session (everyday, we wish!) as we can all experience it. Complete with your family, choices, some minor setbacks and ending with the binoculars. And a happy ending!
Thanks for sharing!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice report Dave - sometimes the random sessions when life precludes a more intense outing can be quite satisfying - nicely done with the 120mm and the binoculars, and congrats on obtaining the VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Thanks guys and (again) for the VROD! This was quite a bonus expected session as the forecast was not good at all.

We've just had a storm pass through today but I think we were pretty much on the edge of it. Forecast and ClearOutside is giving good to go from 1am for the rest of the night so I've got my fingers crossed for later. :)
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Dave. Wow, you took advantage of finally getting a good night sky with the 120ST and binoculars. The ISS flyby and lots of nice DSO objects followed a fresh hot cake sounds like a great night to me! Thanks for your report Dave and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

What a nice evening, I certainly look forward to nights like that.
Congratulations on the VROD :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.